Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • exceeding towbar nose weight ..Can i reduce it by….
  • kaiser
    Free Member

sharing some of the weight on the towball ( small motorcycle ) with the roof bars/rails. I suspect not but if the weight is say 100kg and the limit is 70 would a few ratchet straps to the roof be legal and safe?

scaredypants

are you sitting a 100kg bike on a towbar rack ?

😯

kaiser
    Free Member

possibly!
    I presume you’ve seen those dave cooper type racks?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Ratchets straps to the roof! Does this transfer the weight off the rear axle back to the front?

timber

Tractor weights on the front?

scaredypants

I presume you’ve seen those dave cooper type racks?

I have, but only on trucks with heavy-duty fittings

Is that yours ?

kaiser
    Free Member

Not mine.

kaiser
    Free Member

Forgot about possible wheelies

nealglover
    Free Member

legal and safe?

No.

pdw
    Free Member

Worth bearing in mind that the specified tow bar weight is for a trailer with a free moving hitch. If your rack clamps on and the centre of mass is behind the tow ball this will have an even greater effect. My car lists lower weight limits for clamp-on bike racks based on how far back the centre of mass is.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

No, don’t bother.

Not legal and may cause damage or handling problems.

Nose weight limits are there for a reason, if you want more then buy a different car.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I have one of those MX racks for sale – they just bolt to the towbar flange in about 2mins.

kaiser
    Free Member

the rack/dolly style set up linked to have a poor reputation for trouble. I saw one in use and the bike had nearly fallen over to one side after a corner .don’t like the idea at all of dragging a bike along in that fashion.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve used those dave cooper type racks on normal saloon cars for years, never had a problem nor has anyone else I know who’s used them.
    Regarding the cars handling, it does affect it of course but just drive accordingly.

allthegear
    Free Member

Presumably they wouldn’t tell you if they wheelied their car into a tree?

In other news, driving a car with completely bald tyres might affect the handling a little. Just drive accordingly.

Rachel

taxi25
    Free Member

Presumably they wouldn’t tell you if they wheelied their car into a tree?

You won’t though, just drive the car accordingly. If your not capable of that then their not for you.

nealglover
    Free Member

just drive the car accordingly. If your not capable of that then their not for you.

Also, in most cases…

“their not for you” if you want to have valid insurance, or drive legally.

Speshpaul

The dolly type – your bike would need to be road legal.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘exceeding towbar nose weight ..Can i reduce it by….’ is closed to new replies.