Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Exactly what do I need to put a new fork on an OD2 Anthem?
  • Kryton57

Please? Bookmarked for the savings plan, need the target I need to get to!

FWIW It’ll be a 120mm Reba RL, 1/18th/1.5, pretty normal.

jonnyrockymountain

It’s only the headset that is specific, fsa do them for your 1.5-1/18 forks

proutster
    Free Member

Has it already got 100mm Reba RLs on?

I went through the same thought process for my Anthem X, but then got my mate Rick Draper of Slick and Slide Suspension to upgrade the 100mm Reba RLs to 120mm, upgrade to RCT3 spec, as on the SID and upgrade the rebound circuit with the latest DIG Valve.

So, basically, I’ve got the latest internals in my fork for a whole load less cost than the £540 for a new 120mm SID. And I didn’t end up with a set of 100mm Reba RLs that I couldn’t sell or use for anything else because of the stupid steerer

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kryton57

That’s a good point thanks. However mine has the prior stock Fox 32’s Evolution. I’m not sure if they can be extended to 120 and the damping isn’t the best so I saw the Reba as an upgrade – currently available for £314

proutster
    Free Member

Ah, forgot that some versions had Fox fitted as std.

Don’t forget you’ll also need to get a new stem.

By the way, the change to 120mm is well worth it for the downs and I can’t notice any negative effects on the ups

schmiken

Are you interested in selling the Foxs?

richardthird

Tried a £10 offset bush first? Slackened mine off a similar (noticeable) amount so kept with the 100s.

Kryton57

Tried a £10 offset bush first?

No? please enlighten me?

schmiken – Member
    Are you interested in selling the Foxs?

Yes, although I’m not quite ready to go through the process yet, unless this thread / your potential purchase price smooths the transition!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cane Creek do the headset you need, my mate did it.

jairaj

If I remember correctly its just the top cup of the headset you need to change and the stem. The overdrive system uses a common headtube inner diameter but used different sized bearings to accommodate the lager diameter of the steerer. Cane Creek and Hope headsets are available in separate cups rather than the whole headset. Can’t remember exact dimensions but Cane Creek website has a headset finder tool that might help.

Also I’m not sure going from Fox Evo damper to RS RL damper will be much of an upgrade. Both are pretty basic and in my limited experience are OK but not great.

I’d second the option of at least looking into upgrading the internals to improve the fork rather than new one.

jairaj

Tried a £10 offset bush first?

No? please enlighten me?

Replace the bushes in the rear shock with ones that are drilled off centre. This changes the geometry of the bike. Depends on which way you install them but common way is to install them so they slacken the head angle and drop the BB height.

Don’t know too much about them but read a few reports that they tend to wear much quicker than normal ones. Not sure if certain brands are better than others or certain bikes are easier on the wear… ?

iainc

I have a 2015 Anthem SX, so normal steerer and a sleeve on the stem. Fork wise though, I have a 120 Fox 32 on it, and a 120mm Reba Solo Air on my Soul. For me, the Fox is a better performing fork, just, but very little in it.

adsh
    Free Member

Kryton,

What are you wanting to achieve with a move from Fox to RS leaving aside the length?

I love my plain Reba – plush and the third click acts as a platform similar to my more expensive SID RCT3 – I can’t tell the damping difference.

I had thought to swap my Fox Factory 100mm out to a SID RCT3 on my Spearfish as although very plush there is no platform on it regardless of any trailadjust and it seems completely linear. Any standing pedalling is very bobby. Now I no longer race it I’ve decided to stick with it though I am hoping a TF tuned service might improve it a bit.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Mine just has a different lower crown race and upper steerer spacer

the kit is available from Giant

it allows you to run any fork 1.5″ tapered in an overdrive headtube

ratherbeintobago

Have Giant stopped doing OD2, by the way?

mark90
    Free Member

My 2015 anthem has a normal tapered steerer. I think it was only 2014 that had the OD2 steerers.

jairaj

Fork wise though, I have a 120 Fox 32 on it, and a 120mm Reba Solo Air on my Soul. For me, the Fox is a better performing fork, just, but very little in it.

You don’t mention what damper is in each fork and in my opinion is the most significant factor. Its not really fair comparing a Fox 32 with FIT4 damper to RS Reba with basic RL damper.

Kryton57

What are you wanting to achieve with a move from Fox to RS leaving aside the length?

Its really only the length and corresponding HA. Although my fork is overwhelmed banging down Afan, I can cope with that damper issue twice a year. I’ve emailed Mojo to see if it can be lengthened – some have travel specific damper assembly’s apparently.

iainc

You don’t mention what damper is in each fork

they are both standard.

proutster
    Free Member

Here’s the definitive thread on what can be done to your Reba RLs:

Linky

Kryton57

Response from mojo – the travel on my forks can’t be increased, but a FIT4 damper can be added.

Duh.

adsh
    Free Member

So you can have more damped banging around Afan 🙂

FWIW I’ve experimented with both methods on my Flux (105mm DW rear suspension latterly supplied with 120mm forks from the factory)

120mm forks – felt very sit up and beg – hated it and shortened my forks.

Offset suspension bushing to get slacker HA – does this by making the bike feel taller at the front – hated it and removed it immediately

I’d think long and hard about increasing your forks – sure others have done it here but who’s to say you want your bike to feel like theirs do.

proutster
    Free Member

Kryton57
    Response from mojo – the travel on my forks can’t be increased

What model year have you got? Mine’s a 2014 and it is possible.

Check the serial No. on the forks (back of the crown) and if the number after the T is a 4 – e.g. mine are 12T4 – then they can be increased.

You need a new air shaft (Part No. 11.4018.021.000) and then a new SID rebound damper and seal head assy (11.4018.025.002) to get to 120mm travel (without it you can only get 110mm).

Will cost less than the new Reba RLs that you were talking about earlier….

Contrary to adsh above, I haven’t noticed any downsides to the change – although my other bike is a 160mm Reign, so I’m used to climbing with a slack head angle.

Kryton57

then a new SID rebound damper

I have Fox Forks…

proutster
    Free Member

Kryton57

then a new SID rebound damper

I have Fox Forks…[/quote]

Doh!! Sorry, forgot that you’d said that earlier 😳

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Exactly what do I need to put a new fork on an OD2 Anthem?’ is closed to new replies.