Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • Ex drug cheats going to the olympics.
  • grahamh
    Free Member

If Cav gets help off Millar his gold would be forever tainted.

So if the England team wins the European cup this year with Reo Ferdinand on the team will that taint the result?

deepreddave
    Free Member

🙂 S’what makes the world go round eh? Question tho – if Chambers had a chance of winning would you be shouting for him with pride?

Heard on the Fighting Talk the other week that something like 50+ of the British team have been ‘drafted’ in for these olympics. Don’t know how true that is or if it is a common occurrence but it made me think (again not that common an occurence!).

deepreddave
    Free Member

grahamh – didn’t know he’d been found guilty of drug taking BUT get your point and hence sort of yes! Not gonna be an issue tho is it? Might be a tainted quarter final loss I suppose 😉 Should be a zero tolerance policy ex clear medical issues.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Dolcered

I genuinely can’t decide. I perceive sportsman to live a priveleged life and to be role models for upcoming athletes. For them to throw it all away and cheat for personal/team gain is awful.

But then they’ve served their ban…

However a “you won’t get a second chance” would i would hope be a greater deterrent.

andyruss
    Free Member

They are only ex cheats because they got caught.they would still be taking them if they thought they could get away with it.

grahamh
    Free Member

didn’t know he’d been found guilty of drug taking

He fail to attend a “Pre arrange” drug test, giving the excuse that “I forgot”. So guilty for failure to attend, same as if giving a positive result. Served a six month ban.

deepreddave
    Free Member

grahamh – yep aware of that. Highly dubious all round but still not a guilty drugs cheat. Fwiw I would be less stressed from a sporting perspective about a none performance enhancing but still illegal drug.

nick1962
    Free Member

Ex drug cheats have gone to the Olympics for years and will continue to do so, only now, so can British ones.
    The Council For the Arbitration of sport who made the decision know what they are talking about and every sporting body abides by their decision.
    End of as far as I’m concerned.

Lifer
    Free Member

deepreddave – Member
    Bloomin human rights being used again beyond its best and fundamental purposes.

Yeah! Bloomin human rights…had nothing to do with it.

“The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) will tomorrow announce their decision that the BOA’s bylaw does not comply with the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA) global code, sources with knowledge of the case have confirmed to the Press Association.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/boa-lose-appeal-to-keep-drug-cheats-out-of-london-olympics-7688982.html

higgo
    Free Member

I have it on good authority that Rio would not have tested positive for a performance enhancing drug had he been tested that day.

Solo
    Free Member

I completed reading Millar’s book last weekend.

I’d suggest that if you’re anti Millar, but haven’t read the book.
    Then you would do worse than to spend sometime reading Racing through the dark.

It certainly wasn’t / isn’t black and white.

Millar held out against it for as long as he could.

The prospect of representing his country actually got him to clean up.
    titles he won while using, have been withdrawn.
    He has served his ban.

I believe that any performance he’d give today would be clean.

So, if hes got the talent and can take the pain.
    Then he should, perhaps, be considered.

The past is the past and any Man’s effort to make good, should not be dismissed.
    In my opinon.

avdave2

I’ll support lifetime bans when drug testing becomes infallible. And that means no one who is cheating can evade detection and that no one who is clean can test positive.

Oh and someone needs to explain to me how athletes can be corrupted but testers and lab staff cannot.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Lifer – I feel the laws are based on the intent to avoid ‘unfair discrimination’ which is based in part at least on the liberal elements of the HRA.

Lifer
    Free Member

😐

rOcKeTdOg

cynical
    Ban counts for nothing? Erm…he got a ban…served it…that was nothing?

Counts for nothing coz they let him and the others back in, life ban or no ban would have been better, two years of “training” is hardly fitting

donsimon
    Free Member

two years of “training” not pulling a salary on top of the fine is hardly fitting

😯
    This guy has all but fallen off my radar, he might still be racing somewhere but a quick look doesn’t pull anything.
    Hector Guerra:

La UCI confirmó la sanción de dos años de suspensión (hasta el 2 de agosto de 2011) decidida por la RFEC y añadió una sanción económica de 35.000 euros.3

Hardly an extended training session, is it?

unklehomered
    Free Member

I like to think we live in a world were people are afforded second chances. Lets be honest, probably the biggest punishment is that they have been branded cheats. That won’t go away. They should be subject to more frequent testing. But as I understand it all medal winners are tested automatically.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Unlike Dwain Chambers a drugs cheat who claimed he was innocent …… then eventually disappears quietly into a corner to serve his ban

errr no he didn’t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSsfTqHvI38&feature=related

and don’t forget the “confessional” book
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiyVBhc3ipc&feature=related

all very like a certain cyclist…….

if you search you will find the interview where he explains his techniques for dodging tests, the same techniques that were used by a female athlete, who got a technical ban, who then appealed whilst threatening to change nationality, who then competed and won gold.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

But as I understand it all medal winners are tested automatically

How many tests did DC and DM not test positive in?

The key is out-of-competition testing including blood tests and a biological passport system. The issue is that it is too expensive and doesn’t go down well with the athletes

anagallis_arvensis

I have it on good authority that Rio would not have tested positive for a performance enhancing drug had he been tested that day.

recreational then?. Drugs are a funny thing in sport Matt Stevans got two years for recreational drugs and other players get ten weeks for sticking fingers in other eyess or breaking arms after the whistle.

hels
    Free Member

I thought Millar was more of a time triallist ? Is there a TT in the Olynpics or just the road race ??

anagallis_arvensis

There is a time trial, Millar might get top 10 if he rode well. He is wanted for his racing brain and power to get Cav to the last 350m. He’ll be the road captain and will organise the riders in the absence of team radios

hora
    Free Member

So I could take the chance of wins/podiums etc and the worse that can happen to me if I’m caught is a two year ban?

Where do you sign up to this chemical advantage?

donsimon
    Free Member

So I could take the chance of wins/podiums etc and the worse that can happen to me if I’m caught is a two year ban?

And a substantial fine.
    Contador lost nearly €2,5 million.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Like drunk driving init.

Wetherspoons.

Solo
    Free Member

Hora. Are you being serious ?.
    I ask because on the face of that post.
    You appear to know very little about Millar’s story.

ocrider

Meanwhile in the velodrome, Bauge may beat Hoy in the final. Would anyone want to see someone who has already been stripped of a title for dodging tests win a gold this summer?
    I think not.

hora
    Free Member

Contador lost nearly €2,5 million.

You could view it that BEFORE he was caught he was actively taking money off of clean competitors.

donsimon
    Free Member

You could indeed…

Solo
    Free Member

You could view it that BEFORE he was caught he was actively taking money off of clean competitors.

Hence the fine.

Hey, Hora.
    I’ve decided that we are not going to remove the three points you have on your drivers license, for speeding.
    They can stay there and valid for enternity.
    I know you didn’t want to speed.
    While doing so, you did put the lives at others at risk.
    So thats it.
    Points aren’t for 3 years they’re for life.

Junkyard
    Free Member

No drug is that powerful unless you sweat a compound that kills others – even then it would need to be a circuit so you can pick them off as they lap you 😛

atlaz
    Free Member

Read his book then judge him

I’ve read Millar’s book and although I have sympathy for him and can’t say I would have behaved differently with 100% honesty, it still doesn’t excuse it. His interviews are a mix of “it was my fault, there’s nothing I can say to explain it” and “here’s why I did it, it wasn’t my fault”. It shows how even to himself, he’s still not able to separate how much was him and how much was the sport.

I do very much admire him not trying to get involved in overturning the BOC lifetime ban. He does very much come across as saying “I had my chance to be clean, I leave it to the rest of you to decide what to do with that”

hora
    Free Member

I have a clean driving licence.

I’ve no idea what your point is on Millar but no one forced him to cheat. The choice was totally his.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

no one forced him to cheat. The choice was totally his

Thinking like that is why sport struggles to become drug free.

hora
    Free Member

Shouldn’t the onus be on competing clean rather than blaming pressure and drop in performance as the reason why you decided to seek an unfair advantage?

Hoy wins without drugs. He wins because hes better, trains, focuses etc etc. I imagine when his talent window starts to dip he’d train harder or hang up his shoes…

donsimon
    Free Member

Hoy wins without drugs.

How do you know?

Solo
    Free Member

I’ve no idea what your point is on Millar but no one forced him to cheat

Hora.
    You understand my driving licence analogy.
    Of course I have no idea whether you personally have points on your licence.
    🙄

And your comment ^^^ now indicates to me that you do not know his story.
    Yet you are judging him.
    Thats very shakey ground.

His team broke him, they raced him until he was a mess.
    I doubt you’d ever be able to prove it, but I think the team had a hidden agenda to get him on EPO.

Either way, he says he regrets it all.
    And has tried to give back, what a Ex-doper can.

Should he be selected, I have no doubt he will feel very honoured and give all he can to support the team.
    He may never be able to remove the stain, but at least he has the balls to try, against the opinion of types like yourself, to do something right

Goodness Hora.
    Have you never benefited from someone giving you a second chance ?.
    😉

Solo
    Free Member

Shouldn’t the onus be on competing clean rather than blaming pressure and drop in performance as the reason why you decided to seek an unfair advantage

Hora.
    This may be familiar ground to you, but you are approaching Cocksville at an alarming speed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So you have read the book then 🙄

His speeding suggests that all offences have a penalty period and dont last indefinitely…speeding is a good example should you loose your licence for ever for it? Or can you learn from the errors of your ways and reform?

I am not a fan of a blanket rule either way as it all depends on how /why the person cheated , their reaction afterwards etc
    Contador is a good example – there is some good evidence out there that his cheating showed signs of systematic doping [ his biological passport] and attempts to mask. He maintained innocence and now accepts it was a tainted supplement despite saying there was no chance of this pre the decision. I would treat people like this [ cheats who deny] far worse than Millar – others are available and I dont want to turn this into a Contrador debate simply highlighting the difference between a reformed and apologetic competitor and one who is not.
    The other problem with cycling is that it was endemic within the sport [ probably still is ]and the only think that singles Millar out from many of his peers is that he was caught. if you think Millar will be the only drug cheating cyclist then that is very naive. I would have more faith in Millar being clean that in pretty much any other athlete tbh.

hora
    Free Member

Err right. A pro-cheat throwing insults. Good to see the cheats attract your type 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Ex drug cheats going to the olympics.’ is closed to new replies.