• This topic has 204 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hels.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 205 total)
  • EWS, who's excited ?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Where are the text feed updates, for tomorrow?

br
    Free Member

For very boring and disappointing reasons I wasn’t able to race today

If you weren’t ill nor someone had died, you need to have a real talk with yourself – seriously dry and fast trails today.

bigjim

seriously dry and fast trails today.

yes that made it 10x worse

jimmy

Jo Barnes was looking troubled on the climb to stage 2. Troubled / in pain… Did he bin it?

ton

couple of sweary northerners doing well.
    Dan Greenwood and Rick Norgate. both riding for orange.

RocketTom
    Free Member

May only be 2 stages running tomorrow if weather forecast is correct.

Northwind

Not sure what to think about that, I’m really not looking forward to spending basically all of tomorrow outside if I’m honest, the long transitions were nice today but a problem tomorrow and it’s such a long day for the marshalls, timers etc. Don’t think I’d be disappointed.

I seem to be running more or less last 😆 Had a mare on stage 1, can’t complain too much about the others, I can’t seem to find a rhythm but I’m not too far off where I should be anyway tbh. Became paranoically convinced I was about to be passed all the way down stage 3, I ended up stopping for a rider that didn’t exist, that’s super courteous. Ironically still my best stage.

Those kids in Cardrona are awesome, I think they must have spent the entire day high fiving, they’ll have bloody stumps for hands by now.

Northwind

Here’s the update for the spectators etc

Event Update: Bad Weather Contingency Plan for Sunday 31 May
    Some current weather forecasts suggest that conditions tomorrow could have a significant negative impact on the race.

Heavy rain is forecast for the morning, and moderate winds are expected to reach very high speeds in the afternoon. The forecast is for windspeeds and gusts on the hills would make racing impossible.

At Event Expo level, the forecast windspeeds could also damage exhibitor tents, the stage and other installation at the event village.

There is however some doubt as not all the forecasts agree with this prediction.

We will review the weather forecasts at first thing Sunday morning, and if the forecasts remain similarly poor, we plan to make the following changes, which will cut the race to two stages tomorrow:

We run Enve Stage 5 as normal.

We then run Hope Stage 8, but it will now start at the Mast – the same start position which is currently scheduled for Sealskinz Stage 6.

We will ask all expo exhibitors and tech teams to leave everything in place and NOT disassemble until the last rider leaves the arena at 12.30.

The start times for departing TweedLove Expo and stage start times for S5 and S6 will remain as printed already on start sheets.

(If the forecast changes for the worse we will bring that time forward accordingly).

If we’re lucky and the forecast changes, we intend to run the race as planned, but please take suitable clothes and food for the conditions. Please also try to avoid getting to high starting points too early as exposed areas will experience significant windchill.

We will update everyone in the morning before 07.30.

athgray
    Free Member

Northwind, were you wearing a Glentress Mincer T-shirt today? Popped down to the green with the kids and saw someone with Cotic like the one you posted on page 3. (Nice looking bike).

Northwind

That’s me. Earning that shirt today 😆

athgray
    Free Member

That’s a bit harsh. I have every respect to all competing. I like to get to the top once then come down once. For you people to do this 8 times over 2 day is quite amazing. It is great to see an event like this come to Peebles and see some cheeky new trails added to the area. Stage 8 is a lovely way to get home quickly for me when at Glentress.
    It would be a shame if tomorrow is cut short. I am supposed to be singing on stage in a choir before the medal ceremony. Good luck anyway.

jimjam
    Free Member

Was Chris Porter running a Nicoai ion/geometron with Fox 40s? and if so WTF?

gaz552
    Free Member

jimjam – Member

Was Chris Porter running a Nicoai ion/geometron with Fox 40s? and if so WTF?

So that’s who it must have been that was wheeling out the Nicolai with the fox 40’s on it when I called into mojo last week.

BoardinBob

I binned it massively on stage 3. At the second stream crossing I nose manualed all the way down the rocky chute then wiped out at the bottom. Properly dazed and confused and took me a bit to recover. No idea how I avoided an injury. Rode like a donkey plus a couple of crashes on stage 1 as my start line nerves were horrific. Was way too cautious on stage 2. Stage 4 was my best run and was super clean. I’ve got three very fast guys behind me who are catching me on every stage!

Weather doesn’t seem too bad so far this morning. Bit damp but not much wind.

rOcKeTdOg

Is that pie run drop in the one with the undercut log for a lip? I rolled it but the guy behind me woke up in an air ambulance 😯

Not in this race I hasten to add

myopic
    Free Member

RD – yes, that’s the one

kristoff
    Free Member

Stages 6 and 7 cancelled due to high winds… Sure there will be a few relieved people that the most pedally (is that a word?) stage isn’t being used.

Anyone got any predictions for movers and shakers on the leaderboard?

Joe Barnes had a big off on stage 2 hitting hands and a shoulder on trees…
    http://m.pinkbike.com/photo/12288095/

kristoff
    Free Member

Also much respect to all of you (Northwind, biggin, garry_lager etc.) that are riding it… Not sure if I have the kahunas for it, although I like the idea of giving it a go. Biggest concern would be getting in someones way.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Northwind hope nothing too bad happened to you on the final stage looks like it may mavbe not gone to plan.

Si
    Free Member

So for those in the know…what are the “Political Issues” Fabien talks about over the use of stage 6 in the Vital Race Day 1 slideshow? Forestry Comission dictating?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

T-Mo won by over a minute not bad… I’m starting to think New Zealand only didn’t work out because of that illness may have affected her winter training.

Garry_Lager

Well done to folk riding that today, I survived just about and was kind of glad of the shortened day. Stage 5 was crazy muddy and I was in the first group to go. Can’t see it improving much after 500 riders.

End of stage 8, rode the rocky drop and the sharp right hander nae bother, happy days, then proceeded to bin it immediately after on the last drop of the course. Slipped over a tree root and descended on my chest. So limped in but no real harm done.

Great experience, not ridden anything like it before. Loved riding the trails but way way underskilled for the racing.

rOcKeTdOg

myopic – Member

RD – yes, that’s the one
    if i’d have looked first I’d not have done it!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Lot of changes in the mens today, Justin Leov has smashed the final stage for the win.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

Is there a link to the photos from the event?

droppinneutron
    Free Member

Cheers!

frood
    Free Member

Shame that stages 6 and 7 weren’t run… the weather has been fine, but had they run it and it had all gone wrong they would have been blamed for that too. Had a ‘mare of a run in stage 5 today, but reasonably happy with finishing where I did. Codeine was a monster down everything, only the crudcatcher causing a problem on stage 5 by getting clogged, tearing in half and acting as a brake for the rest of stage 5.

Good event overall even with the cop-out feel of today

onehundredthidiot

Si, I heard that there’s been issues with previous enduros in tweed valley. Rumour has it fc said it was ok to ride “official” stuff. Some of the stages take in unofficial stuff.

Si
    Free Member

Questionable future then!?

Northwind

@Frosty- I totally fell apart on the transition from stage 5, don’t really know why, sick as a dog now 🙁 Nothing more than that luckily (binned it on the rock drop just from pure tiredness, was basically just rolling down stage 6 to get it done, but no harm done.)

Hello athgray!

Re political issues; Fabian’s talking about stage design and pedally vs desdent, not about trail access etc- he picked out the 2 pedally stages and particularily mentioned the start of stage 8 which was just an extra pedal.

(There was nothing controversial on stage 6 or 8 and it was all fully approved beforehand so I don’t think there’s any chance that the FC took issue. They’re massively behind Tweedlove so no worries there)

athgray
    Free Member

Well done for getting round everyone. That was great timing Northwind. I was just taking my son for a lap on the green route. I was not expecting to see anyone on the way down then.

Hopefully the curtailed day did not dampen peoples spirits? I imagine many may have been happy it was shortened.

Unfortunately our choir gig before the awards ceremony was also cancelled, so nobody was subjected to my singing voice. 🙂

maxtorque

Congrats to all the STW massive who took part, where ever you finished 8)

It’s an event i soo want to do, and last year i said “i’ll do that next year” but it slipped through the net!. Mind you, with the way i’ve been riding recently i’d probably bin it on the first corner of the first stage anyway……

Northwind

If you get the chance, you should. It’s a great race but more than that it’s a phenomenal experience… I love the riding obviously, maybe more so last year than this but there’s no shortage of great enduro races, nobody else in the UK has the event though. Riding back along the river path yesterday getting cheered and highfived by kids like you’re a rock star, explaining to french megastars what irn bru is… 8) All feedback loops innit, everything takes on a different sheen.

steveh

Thanks for moving over for me on the last stage Northwind, gave you a shout as we were on that singletrack after the new stuff before the climb.
    I really enjoyed stage 5, my best of the weekend by miles results wise. I always do better in the mud and really enjoyed ragging around in the rut. Mud was clogging so badly it ripped my rockguards mudguard off – luckily I just had time to run down and collect it before starting the last stage.

Northwind

No worries, I was a broken man so didn’t cost me anything to stop 😆

kimbers

Well had a great time, shame it was cut short but I was finding it tough by the end
    Cheers for saying hi Boardinbob, and well done Frood- great result, Northwind sorry didn’t say hi, I wasn’t sure if it was you, our eyes met briefly thru the drizzle this morning as you set out and I was sheltering under the canondale tent, but we got no closer

I’m happy to have finished, but would like to have done better than 241st, stage 2 my chain guide duct up sand my chain got wrapped round my pedal and stage 5 my rear wheel jammed solid in the clag and I lost loads of time(megavalanche all over again), every other stage I was just slow

Was a great event, tho I think the transitions were slacker this year, I didn’t even mind stage 6 it was just hard in a different way

All in all great, but I’d like to be fitter and faster next time and for the weather to be nicer! (Which is exactly what I said last year)

partickbateman
    Free Member

Amazing weekend. Shame about the forecast error but that’s Scotland for you. Considering I raced 1 – 4 blind (and suffered the consequences) and had mechanicals on the 2 stages today I’m pretty chuffed with my result. Know I can do a lot better with a bit more fitness, practice days and race experience!

Best enduro event by far though. So good riding and chatting with the pros about the stages you just raced, high fiving kids, and soaking up the atmosphere. Not to mention smashing trails faster than your skills warrant. Brilliant.

BoardinBob

What a weekend. Absolutely fantastic and even Sunday’s late change of plan didn’t spoil it. I was way too cautious on Saturday. I was more worried about the transitions which turned out to be really easy. We climbed at a gentle pace and still arrived with 20+ minutes at every stage. Pushed harder on Sunday and placed about 30 spots higher than I did on Saturday’s stages. Had I been in E2 I would have placed significantly higher than I did last year so it was a definite success for me. I may skip next year and try and do a couple of foreign rounds but there’s something very special about racing alongside the world’s best on your home trails!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I may skip next year

Any idea what the rumour mill says for next year? I thought it was interesting in the post Tweedlove survey emailed out last night, they specifically asked whether you’d attend if there was no EWS so I wondered if there was some doubt to it at this point.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 205 total)

The topic ‘EWS, who's excited ?’ is closed to new replies.