• This topic has 204 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hels.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 205 total)
  • EWS, who's excited ?
  • kimbers

Anyone racing the Emerald one ?
    Would love to have done but family and work get in the way

I am in the Tweedlove, E1 again, genuinely scared as I’m less fit and have ridden less than last year
    Weathers looking better tho, long term forecast says dry and sunny !
    Is it still golfy/ inners trails then glentrsss on Sunday Luke last year ?
    Also I’m gonna try and go with my Met Parachute, I’m with Dan Atherton on this one FF should be compulsory

jimjam
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

Anyone racing the Emerald one ?
    Would love to have done but family and work get in the way

Not racing due to shoulder injury but I’m pretty sure I’m going down to watch. Might take the camera. Disappointed Jared Graves and Sam Hill won’t be racing but the rest of the line up isn’t too shabby.

Northwind

Yeah, really excited now! I’m the other way round, last year I had to drop down from E1 as I was broken in the runup to the race, feeling in good form this year though. Not that I’ll be troubling the podium mind but it’s all relative. Maybe it won’t feel as special as last year doing it again? But that was some of the best racing and riding I’ve ever done so it’s a big act to live up to.

Haven’t really heard much about the format but I’m assuming it’s similiar. (I know E2 are doing all the stages this year so that’s quiet a big change for them) It’s definitely going to glentress (we’ve done a new stage, which I think currently lacks a name but should be called something like Well Greased Arsehole) but that’s probably a given anyway.

Dropped out of Emerald though 🙁 Just got to the point it felt like a lot of money and hassle. If the 2 dates had been a month apart I’d have stll been there but I’m doing the glentress seven instead.

BoardinBob

should be called something like Well Greased Arsehole

You were looking pretty greased at the bottom of that trail on Sunday 😉

I’m am well excited now. Hopefully the weather holds up, particularly for the golfie stuff although that new trail from the mast was slick as hell. Hopefully 600+ riders down it a few times will cut in a line. I’m staying at the wigwams at GT for the week.

br
    Free Member

Well Greased Arsehole

From the mast down?

We’re down for that one tomorrow night, sounds interesting…

bigjim

I’m doing E2 although nearly sacked it off. I’m used to the golfy but some of the new trails springing up are outside my comfort zone!

I hope this better weather does stay, glentress off piste was a full winter mudfest yesterday. We need the wind to stay to hairdry it all out. Shorty went on the front yesterday 😈

tang
    Free Member

Anyone driving back from tweed to glos/briz ish? My mate Jamie Nicol (pro NZ rider with polygon) is coming to stay but I can’t make it.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Also I’m gonna try and go with my Met Parachute, I’m with Dan Atherton on this one FF should be compulsory

He does seem to spend most of his time crashing/injured so maybe it’s not a bad plan for him.

Very excited, golfie was running sweet (weirdly dry) at the weekend and although I have hunches i’m interested to see what the stages actually are.

BoardinBob

From the mast down?

We’re down for that one tomorrow night, sounds interesting…

It’s not too steep but it’s muddy as hell and very long

BoardinBob

hope this better weather does stay, glentress off piste was a full winter mudfest yesterday. We need the wind to stay to hairdry it all out.

Hopefully we get a window of sun! On the Sunday before the race last year I was hiding under the trees on the boundary trail from hail and snow. In practice on the Wednesday the rain turned everything to mush. By the race on Saturday everything was bone dry again!

Northwind

BoardinBob – Member

You were looking pretty greased at the bottom of that trail on Sunday

Ah! This is embarassing… I didn’t recognise anyone at the bottom, was that you that rode past while I was walking around? I was all over the place after the first run down so I’ll use that as my excuse. I was a bit caught unawares by all the black engine grease someone’s put on top of it 😆

@bigjim, I’m not sure the new digs at the golfy are connected to the race, I reckon it’s just standard issue mad bastards. Someone said the new one that joins Boner (waterworld?) is for the race but that seems too short and doesn’t really link up to anything else well that I can think of.

bigjim

there are little bits of tweedlove tape tied around trees on various trails but it could mean nothing. Nae spleens gets a bit much for me anyway, will be interesting if it does go down there.

I think there is a photo of prospacker in the enduromag report and I notice brown trout has a nice new ending.

phil56

I’m in that space where I can’t decide if I’m looking forward to it or am just petrified! I’m sure once I get there it will be fine, but not really knowing what to expect is giving me the jitters!

Tang – email in profile, I’ll be travelling back Monday and have space in the van – could get him to Gloucs if that helps.

Saccades
    Free Member

EWS should be good – you get to cycle through the biggest plantation of Eucalyptus trees in western europe – the mud smells like a tarts handbag!

Courses are looking good – would prefer the week to be sunny/windy to dry everything out but there isn’t too much rain forecaast.

I’m marshaling on race day but should get to potter about the saturday until the little lad gets tired/bored (must remember to buy some sweets to keep him occupied).

BoardinBob

Ah! This is embarassing… I didn’t recognise anyone at the bottom,

Aye. You were standing at the top of the wee drop in to the fire road. To be fair I’d done the same as riding into a bunch of branches isn’t pleasant! Looks like the race line will be the much bigger chute just before it though

BoardinBob

I think there is a photo of prospacker in the enduromag report

Trail closure list on the 7 stanes website doesn’t indicate any closures in that vicinity so can’t see it being used. Looks as though it’s just the DH stuff at inners

Northwind

BoardinBob – Member

Aye. You were standing at the top of the wee drop in to the fire road. To be fair I’d done the same as riding into a bunch of branches isn’t pleasant!

Ah yeah! Yep, just had a face full of tree 😆

Garry_Lager

Really looking forward to it – had a well ropey month that’s meant riding precisely once, so the EWS will blow the cobwebs away and then some. Praying to the sun-Gods – if it’s wet I may just give my entry away to a bloke on the street and go on the ale.

Is anyone bringing their family with them? For some reason, my kids (6 and 3) get a bit bored watching daddy race bicycles. Is there a lot going on in the valley for them to do that weekend?

mactheknife

Aye i am looking forward to it, got the van ready and will be living in it for the 5 days 🙂

Probably bounce between Glentress and Inners depending where the parking is less busy 🙂

Vanlife rocks 🙂

bigjim

Is there a lot going on in the valley for them to do that weekend?

The event village in Peebles had stevenmenmenmen’s pump track for kiddies set up and there were loads of them razzing around having a great time. they’ll probably clock up more mileage than you on that!

mc
    Free Member

I think there is a photo of prospacker in the enduromag report

Trail closure list on the 7 stanes website doesn’t indicate any closures in that vicinity so can’t see it being used. Looks as though it’s just the DH stuff at inners

I’m sure some pics in that article have been swapped, as I suspect the photo bigjim was referring to is no longer there, unless I’m thinking of a totally different article featuring a photo of Mr Forrest riding something very akin to ProSpacker.

The bit trail in the photo I’m thinking of was definitely not PS, and won’t be featuring in EWS anyway, as it’s been deemed too technical to race.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I think that was Cycling Scotland’s track. But we had sold it to them and staffed it for them. Don’t know if they are there this year but we are down in Preston with the all new pumptrack.

bigjim

I thought this one looked like prospacker. I’ve learnt my lesson about guessing trails so I’ll stop now anyway!

mc
    Free Member

Hmm…that could be PS, but there’s a few trails with similar looking sections. Regardless, PS is not on the map.

chickenman

@bigjim, I’m not sure the new digs at the golfy are connected to the race, I reckon it’s just standard issue mad bastards. Someone said the new one that joins Boner (waterworld?) is for the race but that seems too short and doesn’t really link up to anything else well that I can think of.

I think something to do with it being the most astonishing trail both in its conception and in its execution, quite outrageous really! There will certainly be some moaning about this one; some bits are too steep to walk down. Not actually as hard to ride as it looks, though…

yacoby
    Free Member

I have a place. No idea what I am doing on a bike (ridden at Golfie a grand total of once). Should be a laugh.

The new trails I have ridden (pushed down) so far are ace though.

Northwind

chickenman – Member

the most astonishing trail both in its conception

A virgin birth?

chickenman

that’s a bit unfair on **** ******** and possibly untrue. 😀

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Trying hard not to say anything about Virgins and Innerleithen.

tom.nash

Get prepared for arm pump…. LONG stages are potentially in store!
    http://enduro-mtb.com/en/exclusive-ews-round-3-tweed-valley-local-knowledge/

BoardinBob

Info on the tweedlove site suggest 8 stages in total, 4 each day.

I did E2 last year so the transition’s weren’t much concern. Stupidly I’m in E1 this year so how do the times work. Let’s say it starts like this:

10:00am – Start
    10:40am – Stage 1

If you get to the start of stage 1 at 10:30am, do you have to wait until 10:40 or can you go straight away? How does everyone get organised into the right order if you have to start bang on your allocated stage time?

chris1h
    Free Member

I may be wrong but I believe you have to start at your allocated time, not before. You’ll probably find out who’s before / behind you by asking about the racers hanging around. penalties apply if you’re late

Looks like the photo above is the classic to me…..

BoardinBob

Looks like the photo above is the classic to me

Oh bugger. I hate the bottom of it after the off camber traverse. I just can’t get it right.

Big-M
    Free Member

Gutted, missing EWS this year, damaged shoulder just before Christmas and still not right.. certainly not right enough to go pinballing into trees down the golfie like last year..

butterbean
    Free Member

If you get to the start of stage 1 at 10:30am, do you have to wait until 10:40 or can you go straight away? How does everyone get organised into the right order if you have to start bang on your allocated stage time?

Yes.

Just make a mental note of who leaves before you at the start. I seem to remember last year they called the numbers out at each stage anyway.

I’m looking forward to it.

bigjim

was down the golfy today, trail pixies have been busy!

mc
    Free Member

E1’s must start on their allocated start time.
    If you’re early, you wait, if you’re late, you tell the start marshal who will then slot you in at the next free slot (this is so other riders aren’t disadvantaged by reduced gaps between riders, because you were late)

The only variance to this is if you are directed otherwise by the start marshal.

Riders remain in the same order for both days, so you’ll soon learn who you should be behind/in front of.

br
    Free Member

From the mast down?

It’s not too steep but it’s muddy as hell and very long

Just 1/2 mile, and currently showing a KOM of 3 mins. Very loamy, fine in the dry of last night but wouldn’t fancy it on a wet day.

BoardinBob

Just 1/2 mile, and currently showing a KOM of 3 mins

I’m considerably slower so it’s long for me 😳

bigjim

has it dried up a bit then? that’s good, met some folks at the bottom of that last weekend with their wheels completely clogged in the frames.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 205 total)

The topic ‘EWS, who's excited ?’ is closed to new replies.