Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • EWS rider dies
  • MSP

Awful news from the EWS at Crested Bute, details haven’t been released other than an announcement that a rider has died on a stage today.

jamj1974

That’s dreadful. I wonder if it’s crash or illness…? Either way, as you say it’s awful news indeed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/tragedy-in-crested-butte.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=mobile&utm_campaign=news

It is with the deepest regret that Big Mountain Enduro and the Enduro World Series announce that there was a serious accident during Stage 3, the first stage of Saturday’s race, resulting in the fatality of a competitor. The rider’s family has been informed and the competitor’s identity will be released in due course.

From the EWS, very tragic news.

njee20
    Free Member

Terrible news.

superstu
    Free Member

Really sad news to hear. Thoughts with family

jamj1974

Great quote mentioned in comments to link:

“We ride not to add days to our life – but life to our days.”

Terribly sad. RIP.

teamslug
    Free Member

Bad news RIP.

fathomer

Awful news, RIP.

grey

Very sad, RIP.

johnnystorm

RIP:(

MSP

The police have released a statement on facebook (I hope it is genuine as it seems a strange media to use).

Mt Crested Butte Police press release on the Big Mountain Enduro Race fatality.

Posted by Gunnison Regional 911 Center on Saturday, August 1, 2015

Well done to the following riders and race personnel who tried to save him.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It brings back some memories of the Gracia crash and the stuff that went on there with the other riders. Police seem to be using facebook a lot more these days to communicate faster.

Again a very tragic accident.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

awful stuff,

Sandwich

Well done to the two racers who did 30 minutes of CPR. That’s some proper hard work.
    RIP to the rider.

Big-M
    Free Member

Very sad, RIP

legend
    Free Member

Sandwich – Member
    Well done to the two racers who did 30 minutes of CPR. That’s some proper hard work.
    RIP to the rider.

This statement concerns me a bit, do we know if these riders were there before any marshals?

RIP to the rider

MSP

The reality of the enduro race format is that marshals just cannot cover the course as would happen on more geographically contained events. The probability will always be that following riders will be the first at any accident.

deviant
    Free Member

Yep, the lack of ‘line of sight marshalling’ is one of the reasons British Cycling dropped Enduro. I would feel safer doing a full on DH race, at least if you crash the marshals see it and can render aid immediately, they can also pinpoint your location on the track for medical personnel to come to you.
    Some of the EWS stages have been 30mins long, I’d hate to be a downed rider in that situation, helpless until another rider comes across you.

RIP.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Awful to hear. Thoughts with all family . Still takes me back a little when I read about people that die riding mountain bikes , poor guy.

scandal42
    Free Member

Tragic news, lets not turn it into a Enduro is more dangerous than dh debate though.

RIP

fr0sty125
    Free Member

That’s awful and a bit of a shock. I guess we are lucky in a sense that in mountain biking we are used to injury but not fatalities compared to other extreme sports. RIP

P20

Sad news

jimmy

Terribly sad.

There has been a lot of chat about Enduro races effectively being DH races, and open to the masses at that. I really hate to say it, but this seemed a matter of time to me.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

We know absolutely nothing about the situation here, could have been an incident that could have happened anytime, any place, any discipline, anywhere. Pure speculation to suggest any “blame” at this point (though we do know it was a low tech course, far removed from some of the DH style races you allude to) and pretty bad taste to use it as an excuse for the “told you so” crowd.

Best wishes to all involved.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Spot on Doug.

Sad news indeed.

Northwind

Well said Doug. Mountain biking isn’t without risks, we all know that. RIP William Olsen, condolences to all involved and respect to everyone whose first instinct is to help.

Feeling a bit guilty at relief that it’s not one of the racers I know… But from the sounds if it, he was basically me.

kimbers

I think there are some legitimate concerns being raised its a very tough discipline to regulate and mtbing can be dangerous . With so little info about this poor guy its all just speculation at present but it could have some big repercussions on Enduro and certainly EWS

br
    Free Member

Some of the EWS stages have been 30mins long, I’d hate to be a downed rider in that situation, helpless until another rider comes across you.

No different to any other time when you are out by yourself, or tbh if you are last one in a group on a long ‘segment’.

kimbers

It’s a fair point that accidents can happen anytime, but I personally push harder/faster and take more risks when racing.30 mins sounds like a long time to wait for a Marshall and a further 30 mins for a medic

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

What a horrible situation. RIP.

butcher

It’s a fair point that accidents can happen anytime, but I personally push harder/faster and take more risks when racing.30 mins sounds like a long time to wait for a Marshall and a further 30 mins for a medic

Who’s to say the riders weren’t better qualified, or just responded to the situation better? Well done to those guys.

RIP.

MSP

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that a lack of immediate critical medical care had anything to do with his death.

kimbers

I agree MSP there’s nothing to indicate that, however 30 minutes before being reached by a marshall and over 45 mins before contacting 911 isn’t an ideal situation.

Northwind

@kimbers, the police report says clearly that 911 were reached about 10 minutes after the accident, not 45. Seriously, this is why speculation is best kept to a minimum, it just leads to misunderstandings. Leaving aside all questions of tact etc.

(I’ve not seen anything that says that marshalls arrived 30 minutes after the crash, either- only that race personnel took over CPR 30 minutes after the crash.)

bigjim

Maybe this is one the STW experts/moral police should leave alone perhaps? No need to swing this low. For what its worth, the police report says ten minutes between accident and 911 call.

’tis very sad though.

kimbers

I saw a news report saying was 45 mins apologies for stirring

http://www.gunnisontimes.com/sports/breaking-news-ews-stop-crested-butte-canceled-due-fatality

bigjim

Ah, sounds like an 11.50/11.15 misinterpretation from the time in the police report.

Anyway I just don’t think it is right to speculate on something like this, it’ll just end in bickering!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Agree this isn’t the place for debate, but given some of the speculation thought it was only fair to all involved that the facts, as far as they are known, were shared. http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/08/news/crash-kills-competitor-in-colorado-round-of-enduro-world-series_380290

hora
    Free Member

R.I.P 🙁

munrobiker
    Free Member

Thanks for that link doug, it clears a lot of things up- it sounds to me like the organisers and EWS did everything they could as well as they could and made a lot of good decisions.

Thoughts are with the rider’s family and friends.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘EWS rider dies’ is closed to new replies.