Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 260 total)
  • Ewe, ios7, hurl
  • kayak23

I don’t see what the problem is. Why don’t all of you who don’t like certain features of your phone, simply change that feature for something that you prefer?
    Oh yes…. it’s an iPhone… 😀

GrahamS

I don’t see what the problem is. Why don’t all of you who don’t like certain features of your phone, simply change that feature for something that you prefer?

Mental isn’t it? It’s like those people who just want a factory issue car, rather than spending time replacing all the features to get something truly beautiful.

😆

chojin
    Free Member

Well iOS7 is killing my battery. It’s barely lasted from 9-5.

It’s also lost a lot of “slickness” that you only (used to) get with apple products. My phone has become clunky and slow.
    If I wanted a clunky and slow interface, I’d have bought an Android or WinPho product.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikebouy
    Free Member

I get the google search in the main address URL bar.. S’pose it’s easier, easier if you are like 7!!

Ok, so the drop up with the wifi/brightness/volume thingy is ok, no it’s actually neat.

But why does all this UI look cheap..?? That’s my main issue..

Half expect two knobs to poke out of it for the etchasketch app.. 😆

rs
    Free Member

main complaint is the calendar, you click on the day and it shows an hour by hour view, not just a list of actual items one after the other, so you have to scroll to see everything that day, big pain in the ass.

Turned off the parallax thing straight away, their quest to make it simple somehow included stupid battery wasting gimicks, shakes head! same goes for some of the zoom in and out animations, wished i could turn it off.

Other than that, its fine i guess.

legend
    Free Member

Just used 2% of battery to send a quick text message – da fuq?

stumpy01

GrahamS – Member
    “implemented”

“Stolen”, I think is the word you were looking for…… 😀

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Does the private browsing feature still work in Safari? A friend of mine was asking earlier…

GrahamS

main complaint is the calendar, you click on the day and it shows an hour by hour view, not just a list of actual items

Press the “Search” button apparently.

http://m.tuaw.com/2013/09/18/ios-7-video-tip-how-to-view-list-mode-in-calendar/

therag
    Free Member

Updated my 4 just before going to bed, the biggest change was sleeping 2hrs late for work as the alarm didn’t go off.

GrahamS

Does the private browsing feature still work in Safari? A friend of mine was asking earlier…

Apparently, a friend said, that what you should really do is install a second browser like SkyFire that has private browsing, quick access to cache/history clearing, and the ability to transcode and play flash video.

Ideal for buying surprise birthday presents (or whatever else you might use private browsing for).

rs
    Free Member

Thanks GrahamS, happy again 🙂

nickdavies

Chrome and incognito mode… just remember to close the incognito tab before exiting the browser, just closing Chrome leaves it on the same page it was on before. This can lead to awkward moments if someone else opens chrome next….

I’m coming round to it a bit, but i really can’t abide the dock and the folders, the blocks of grey just looks cheap and nasty. Apple’s shots do make it look a lot nicer than it is, I think you need the right background for it.

epicyclo

Is there anything for iOS (like ResEdit) so I change the icons to look like something you’d find on an adult’s phone?

mrmoofo

After an initial, “its ok” …
    It eats battery life
    It seems to have slowed iTunes sync to slower that slow
    The camera on my i Pad on longer works …

When do you think the fixes will come out?

prawny

There’s a private mode in the bottom left of a new window, apparently, I overheard some people talking about it in a cafe.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bikebouy the address window doubling as the search window has been in Chrome and Mac Safari for a while, it was iOS which was lagging

Battery does appear to be running down more quickly but I think the reality is we are playing with all the phone features so keeping the screen on longer and some apps are having to reload data after the upgrade

crikey
    Free Member

Jesus, just updated the wife’s iPhone, took 3 hours to download the update, now it can’t even recognise the home wifi, and I’ve had to update that dismal shitehawkery that is iTunes.

GrahamS

By the way, slight security flaw you should all be aware of.
    Basically by default you can access Siri and/or Control Center from Lock Screen.

Which is terribly convenient, but does mean that if someone nicks your phone they can easily switch on Airplane Mode, without having to unlock the phone, thus effectively disabling “Find My iPhone”.

If that’s a worry you might want to change those defaults!

Big iOS 7 security flaw could prevent people from recovering stolen iPhones

CountZero

toppers3933 – Member
    I like it. Was quite unsure at first but having spent the day using it I have got used to it pretty quickly.

Likewise. It took me a while to find out one or two little differences that irked me at first, like deleting emails is a swipe to the left gives a trash option, and the upward flick on open app windows had me flummoxed, but it love it now, it’s so much easier to navigate between open apps.
    I dislike the grey folder background, I’d love an option to set the background colour from a colour wheel, to give something that gives a more pleasing affect on different wallpaper.
    The pad has pale blue, which I much prefer.
    I haven’t played with the music or camera apps yet, so I’ll find out their little idiosyncrasies later.
    Still, this is v1.0; I’m sure there will be lots of updates over the next few months.

Swelper
    Free Member

By the way, slight security flaw you should all be aware of.
    Basically by default you can access Siri and/or Control Center from Lock Screen.

Which is terribly convenient, but does mean that if someone nicks your phone they can easily switch on Airplane Mode, without having to unlock the phone, thus effectively disabling “Find My iPhone”.

If that’s a worry you might want to change those defaults!

http://bgr.com/2013/09/19/ios-7-security-flaw-find-my-iphone/

Settings, Control Centre Access On Lock Screen fixes that

CountZero

Just had a look at the photos app on the pad, and it’s much better for scanning through loads of photos, I’ve got around 5000 on mine, and having them properly organised by date with clear demarcation looks so much better.
    Also had a look at the music app, which I mainly use on my iPhone 4, as there’s no music on the pad, and because of the armoured case I have on the iP5, I can’t use my Shure phones. The layout is much nicer looking, and I like the little cover art pics on the left when scrolling up and down.
    Just noticed something while looking at Safari on the 4; the vertical scrolling function when searching through open pages is rather nifty, like a Rolodex, but then when I got to the bottom, it carried on, and showed a list of the open pages on my iP5 and my pad, via iCloud! That’s spooky.

retro83
    Free Member

Really bizarre that Apple have spent so long with beautiful and clear icons, and now replaced them with this load of incoherent toss.

GrahamS

Oh second vulnerability found with the Control Center on the lock screen. This one lets someone access your app switcher without unlocking the phone.

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/09/19/ios-7-lock-screen-vulnerability-reported-and-heres-how-to-fix/

Sounds like it is a good plan to turn Control Center off on the lock screen.

Settings, Control Centre Access On Lock Screen fixes that

They can still use Siri to activate Airplane Mode from the Lock Screen so you’d need to switch that off too.

dazzlingboy

I have an old ipad 1 running Ios 5.xxx. If I upgrade to 7 is my old ipad going to die under the strain??

muddyfool

Still, this is v1.0

Err… 7.0? 😉

Overall it seems ok, but I’m a bit underwhelmed. Basically they’ve just about caught up with the features on the Galaxy S3, which has been out for over a year. It is an improvement on iOS 6, but nothing more than a few display updates really. I’m sure I’ll get used to the generally brighter, whiter screen and mildly irritating animations soon!

Oh, the change in safari to only show the server name instead of the full address is annoying too, I’ve no idea which page of the stw forum I’m looking at now!

fakesounding
    Free Member

iPad 1st Gen is officially obsolete & won’t run ios7 🙁 5.1.1 is as far as they’ll go.

Swelper
    Free Member

They can still use Siri to activate Airplane Mode from the Lock Screen so you’d need to switch that off too.

Good shout, sorted

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I really dig it, despite not being a big fan of the looks…
    Only bug i’ve found so far is that the music controls don’t work when the screen is locked… 🙄

PS. Sent using my phone as a personal hotspot to see if it works…

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I like it, it took a while to find the right wallpaper to make the best use of the transparency of the folder windows, once that was sorted, it looks really nice. The animations don’t bother me – I quite like them 😉

One bug I’ve found- when I open newsstand – I can’t cllose it, or return to the home screen, I have to switch off my ipad !

iBooks is still skewmorphic, which really stands out.

How do I make the text go bold? It’s quite hard to read on my mini.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bah , played with my mates iphone 5 really liked the control centre.

Only to find after upgrading that control centre doesnt exist on the 4 🙁

Oh well.

Other han that it seems to be ok but i could have lived without it if i knew the control centre wasnt there

bikebouy
    Free Member

Seems I can play music held in the cloud without downloading the track/album… *likes

I’d second the function to change the toolbar colors from pale grey too..

Jamie
    Free Member

Only to find after upgrading that control centre doesnt exist on the 4

It does. It actually, IMHO, looks better on the 4. As it has a uniform grey background, rather than the pastel gradient on the newer models.

My iPhone 4:

Newer iPhones:

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Folder backgrounds and the control centre backgrounds are translucent, so they will show through the colour of your desktop. So if you don’t like the colour of the folders you can fix it that way.
    I do wish you could change it independently though, my previous nice beach scene that I had as my homescreen wallpaper gave a horrid american tan folder background.
    Other than that, I like it, and the appearance had grown on me.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Yes once I’d figured out that the folders changed according to the wall paper _ I managed to get it looking really godd! initially I had a nearly black wall paper – which gave a dull looking grey folder.

patriotpro
    Free Member

e no likey on iPhone 4S, slower ang laggy

Same on the ipad2

Jamie
    Free Member

Are you on O2, or a piggy back service like GiffGaff, Rusty?

That number is a special number used by Apple to activate/de-activate some stuff like Facetime and iMessage. Usually comes in silently, and non-chargeable, but sometimes can cause issues with non-official carrier plans. I am pretty sure GiffGaff have zero-rated the number, so won’t charge for it.

RustyMac

Hi Jamie,

on O2, not a piggy back service. Just had a third text.

GrahamS

On the bright side, we all know Rusty Macs mobile number now 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

New 5S out today..

Yey!!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 260 total)

The topic ‘Ewe, ios7, hurl’ is closed to new replies.