Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 260 total)
  • Ewe, ios7, hurl
  • prawny

ian911uk – Member
    Anyone found the radio yet?

It’s stuck in America.

Jamie
    Free Member

Anyone found the radio yet?

As per prawny, US only at the moment. I imagine it will be piss poor compared to TuneIn/Radium if their podcast app was anything to go by.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Safari is a pain in the rear now!

Upgraded mine at 1815 via wifi.

Took 2 goes but all ok.

Some useful short cuts.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I think in some respects its actually faster but I havn’t played with it extensively. It is very slow the first time it opens something but thats always the case anyway.

I found the phone pretty slow before the update to the point of annoyance. I was expecting it to be much worse but so far I would say it is fine. Its a whole lot lighter than 6 was and fresher all round. I say go for it.

Just for balance one of the reasons I really didn’t like it was because I am a bit of an android fanboi. I had to start using the 4 after drowning my HTC Sensation and it felt like a massive downgrade in every respect apart from battery life.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

More like the Apple jailbreakers and Android devs implemented a feature that was already in Palm OS (and iirc open source by june/nov 2007), which is where just about every feature in Android came from (if not various Linux implementations). Jailbreakers were in pretty sharpish iirc (mainly to steal cut+paste from every single other phone that had ever been released ), so very likely they got it in in those intervening 4 months.
    Then Apple played catchup?

Didn’t Windows Mobile start a lot of this too?

The old XDA development community was always releasing various “ROMs” to update Windows Mobile devices. This development seems to have been carried over to Android now.

HTC were pretty active too, making most of the devices and “skins” over the top of the (pretty awful) Windows OS. In fact their Android devices still look a little like the old Windows Mobile days.

GrahamS

So Apple ‘implements’ a feature, whereas Android ‘steals’ a feature……..? 😆

Now you’re getting it 😀

More like the Apple jailbreakers and Android devs implemented a feature that was already in Palm OS

True that – look they are practically identical:

iOS7 Control Center:

Palm:

😉

GrahamS

functionality almost on a par with android now

Don’t think iOS 7 has actually added any new functionality really has it?
    It’s just shuffled stuff around a bit and made them pretty colours.

convert

Underwhelmed.

It is however only a phone so it would be a bit sad if its operating system being upgraded was life changing!

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Anyone else noticed that asyou move the phoine the wallpaper moves. Bit weird

grum
    Free Member

You can switch that off if you like. I have.

franksinatra

Mine (14) had set hers to update overnight and was demo’ing it to me at 6:45 this morning. #bloodyteenagers

Teenager Fail, should she not be dead to the world until at least the last possible minute before going to school?

I have a very nice picture of a Hedgehog as wallpaper on my iPad. Since updating to ios7 the hedgehogs nose is obscured by the large buttons at the bottom of the screen. The icons are all much bigger, obscuring lots of the hedgehogs prickles. That is a shame as i like that hedgehog.

GrahamS

Won’t make any odds to me – my wallpaper is plain black 😀

I gather that, as well as the parallax effect, there is also new “dynamic” wallpaper. All sounds like a great way to eat battery life to me 😀

I’ve not upgraded to 7 yet btw, I’ll let all you eager lemmings have a go first!

jam-bo

you can turn off parallax effect in the accessibility menu.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Never mind. 🙂

andytherocketeer

I gather that, as well as the parallax effect, there is also new “dynamic” wallpaper. All sounds like a great way to eat battery life to me

I’m sure that Apple implemented that in a similar way to Android (or the HTC/Samsung variations thereof), and that the dynamic bit is only active when you’re physically using the device (backdrops and gadgets). 99% of the time the device is sat in a pocket, locked, doing naff all, totally idle. Of course Android stole dynamic backdrops and widgets/gadgets from a combination of Windows and an array of user interfaces commonly used with Linux. 😉

edit: and I was right about the psychedelic

GrahamS

the dynamic bit is only active when you’re physically using the device

Of course. That would be the obvious way to do it (no stealing about it, it’s just the obvious engineering solution. Like turning the light out in a fridge when you close the door).

BUT.. it still means when you have the phone open at a menu screen then rather than the CPU sitting practically idle, clocked back and drawing very little power, it is instead monitoring movement, working out parallax effects and animating dynamic wallpaper.

To my engineering mind that is a waste of battery for pointless glitz.
    (But I may not be the target audience)

prawny

I turned off the parallax effect, it was making me feel sick.

fisha
    Free Member

Installed it last night. I think the usability processes of the the interface has improved in areas ( such as task switching ), but that colour scheme is a considerable step backwards that makes a lot of things noticeably harder to read.

I’ve enabled bold fonts which has made fonts easier to read, but things like messaging is just so garish and bright in colour its really difficult to read I think.

If they just toned the colour saturation down a little, I think it would be a whole lot better.

clubber
    Free Member

things like messaging is just so garish and bright in colour its really difficult to read I think.

Can’t you just install a different txting app if that’s the case? There must be some more tasteful ones out there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m all up for an iPhone 5S when they are released later this month, will this “child freindly” OS be the version on it??

My Nephews will love it.. 😆

muggomagic

Jamie. GM seed wasn’t available as an OTA update. Need to download from dev centre and shift click update in iTunes.

Kryton57

I’ve enabled bold fonts which has made fonts easier to read, but things like messaging is just so garish and bright in colour its really difficult to read I think.

What, black text on a light grey background (note forum/post buttons ^^), or white text on a blue backround?

Should have gone to specsavers.

GrahamS

Can’t you just install a different txting app if that’s the case? There must be some more tasteful ones out there.

(Non-jailbroken) iOS doesn’t allow third-party apps to take over primary phone features like calling or texting.

I suspect this is partly to maintain branding and prevent user confusion, and mainly because it would be a massive security and privacy hole.

(You can of course use a third-party “messaging” app like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger etc – but they don’t get to send real billable texts)

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Double tap the home button to show the switcher, then swipe the app’s window/card, not the icon as was the case previously, up.

Is that a new thing? It’s one of my favourite easy of use features about WP7.

Is this available for the iPad Mini? Assume it’s a choice you have to make and not a mandatory update?

deviant
    Free Member

It’s getting there, the perfect OS doesn’t exist but if it did it would take cues from all the main players.

Swiping style texting (I was a late convert, it’s so much better/faster than ordinary texting).

The Palm, Android and now iOS method of shuffling between apps is pleasing.

Android notifications/widgets and Window’s live tiles are excellent.

Apple’s camera is great…as is the build of the device.

Put it all together (and put a big battery in it) and you’d have the perfect device…. why is this so hard for any single company to do?!

GrahamS

They haven’t really changed anything here in iOS 7 have they?

The only difference seems to be that the app-switcher-thingy now shows you a little preview of the app screen instead of just its icon.

Or is there something else?

trail_rat
    Free Member

well the new spotlight search is annoying.

rocketman
    Free Member

I like it 🙂

But imho iOS 7 is better on the iPad. The flat look works well because there’s more space around the visual elements and they don’t need the skeuomorphic cues that worked so well on the smaller screens.

It will take a while to get used to 7 but iOS 6 looks really dated in comparison.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I was a bit perplexed at first but it’s growing on me and I like and think its an improvement.

The new icons and lock screen behaviour is pleasing on the ey

New safari is better and I like the new implementation of the “reader” which is a quick and easy way of just getting text of a story, good for me if I don’t have my reading glasses

New organisation of photos is very good, needs the location turned on for when you took them to work best but that’s what I’ll do going forward. I like the fact videos/panoramas are grouped separately in one view

New message (SMS) display great for me, very clear and as above perfect for when I don’t have my reading glasses

New camera app more intuitive

Update Vimeo app is very cool (ok not iOS7 specific perhaps ?) preloads videos and runs them whilst you are browsing so you see more than just a still, makes it easier to decide what to watch

New alarm tones

Music app – certainly different, not sure if its more appealing to the eye, benefits from having Album/Song artwork\

Facetime voice only will be useful

bikebouy
    Free Member

Some cheeky bugger has knicked my Safari “google” search function in the toolbar.. (iPad 4)

When I find him/her I will imprint “google” on thier pinky finger..

🙄

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I better try and find a NOS 4s while they’re still Ios 6

deviant
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

They haven’t really changed anything here in iOS 7 have they?

The only difference seems to be that the app-switcher-thingy now shows you a little preview of the app screen instead of just its icon.

Or is there something else?

I didnt suggest a whole lot had changed, just said it was a pleasing way of doing it, visually speaking.
    Scrolling along the apps on my HTC One-S and flicking them upwards and away to close them was always a nice touch, my new Nexus doesnt have this, instead they are listed vertically and swiped left or right to close them down.

I dont know about iOS7 but on my Nexus the screen shot of the apps running/multitasking is the screen from when you exited the app and tapping on said app takes you back to where you were in that app rather than starting it afresh which is handy….if you want to start afresh the app can of course be launched from the home screen instead.

They are cracking devices though (smartphones in general, not any particular brand), i run my life from the phone and would be seriously inconvenienced if i ever lost it.

jam-bo

Some cheeky bugger has knicked my Safari “google” search function in the toolbar.. (iPad 4)

Address bar doubles up as search

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

It’s now like Chrome and the latest version OSX safari, you just type in the address bar to search via google.
    Edit: too slow…

toppers3933
    Free Member

I like it. Was quite unsure at first but having spent the day using it I have got used to it pretty quickly.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Double post

legend
    Free Member

People on a forum this geeky actually use Safari? Didn’t think that’d be allowed

jam-bo

Only on iOS. Chrome is ok but doesn’t integrate as well.

They’ve copied a lot of the nice features from chrome in this release anyway.

GrahamS

“implemented”

coogan
    Free Member

At first wasn’t sure, but after playing about with it, I’m loving it. Looks so much cleaner, does make the screen feel bigger and just works very smoothly.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 260 total)

The topic ‘Ewe, ios7, hurl’ is closed to new replies.