• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Evoc bike bag or cardboard bike box?
  • chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I’m off to Spain again soon, I’ve previous hired evoc bike boxes with no issues, its just the faf of driving to the shop that hires them,and retuning them not the hire costs.
    My LBS mentioned they always use heavy duty cardboard “new” bike boxes…
    I’m I being stupid to even consider it or is a cardboard box packed with foam/bubble wrap more than enough?
    Anyone tried both?
    Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, evoc wins for me but I use in nearly once a month.

wallop

I’ve only flown once with my bike so a cardboard box was absolutely fine. And free, of course!

Edit – though I should imagine an Evoc would require less dismantling, which would be a massive bonus given that the unpacking on arrival and packing to go home always seemed to take place after a few cervezas!

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

We get lots of bikers bringing over bikes in cardboard boxes free from their LBC. We have never had any problems over the years. Use lots of bubble wrap.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah boxes are fine for protection, but significantly less convenient than a dedicated bag.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’ve always used a cardboard box without any problems. Saying that, if I flew regularly, I’d get an evoc bag.

Superficial
    Free Member

There are other options – Evoc are pretty expensive. I’ve got a DHB one from Wiggle which has been on probably 10 (return) trips now, I definitely feel I’ve got my money’s worth from it. IIRC it was about £80.

Get one with wheels if you can.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve got an Evoc bag & I’d have no issue with using a box.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Never had a problem shipping my bike in a carboard box. I do though pack a bike that i can afford to be damaged and not be too cut up as on the way back last summer air italia messed up the baggage and we did not see it for two weeks. The box arrived a bit battered.bike was fine though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Edit – though I should imagine an Evoc would require less dismantling, which would be a massive bonus given that the unpacking on arrival and packing to go home always seemed to take place after a few cervezas!

I’m down to about 10 mins, rotors off, bars off & seat lowered then in the bag. Other end is about that too.
    I also shipped 7 bikes in cardboard boxes a few years back (one way) 2 of the boxes would have been unusable for a return due to being battered (bikes were fine) and looking out the window at the heavy rain this morning I’m not sure how a box would be looking sat on the baggage trolley waiting to be loaded.

Northwind

I have a nice bike bag. But inside it is a Specialized bike box, it’s that which does all the work. Knowing what I know now I wouldn’t buy a bag again, I’d get a good box, laminate it to **** with a mile of packing tape to give it more durability and weather resistance, fashion a couple of handles, and call it good. They slide along the floor better than most bags roll!

Box recommendation- go to Halfords, find an Apollo one. They’re a decent size, and made of some sort of mega-cardboard, very strong. They have to be, they’re for transporting 50 pounds of pig iron round the world on the cheap. My specialized box is for carrying lightweight expensive bikes that get looked after, so it’s way weaker.

mtbtom
    Free Member

The Chain Reaction ‘pro’ bag is a bit of an Evoc clone:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/chain-reaction-cycles-pro-bike-bag/rp-prod114204

I got the Polaris bike pod a few years back. Have had my use of it, although would get either the Chaino’s one or an Evoc when I replace.

I saw someone line a bike box with thin ply, which looked bomb proof, although I shudder to think about the weight.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I use a standard cardboard bike box. I got a massive one from LBS used for a comfort bike so I could fit my XL full suspension in without taking the rear wheel off. I also cut up another box and lined the inside so it was double thickness.

Had two trips with it so far and although the corners are a bit the worse for wear, the bike has been unblemished. It is a bit of a faff packing though, and it’s much bigger to manoeuvre around on the trolley trip between international and domestic terminals, and only fits in the car with the back seats down, so I’m considering getting an Evoc when the trusty cardboard box finally dies. There’s a good CRC own brand copy now, a new ‘professional’ Evoc, and a new Thule one to choose from.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

My bikes have come all over the world with me in bike boxes and I’ve never had a problem. Use several rolls of duct tape around the outside and plenty of padding inside.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don’t know whether the Evoc does a better job of protecting the bike than anything else, but it is amazingly easy to move the thing around. It isn’t much more hassle to deal with than a wheely-case of similar weight (until you need it to go in a taxi…)

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

(until you need it to go in a taxi…)

Surprisingly it fits across the back seats of a lot of cars, and yes it’s one of the easiest things to handle, especially through some of the Aus customs lanes that are narrower than a bike box on a trolley.

They slide along the floor better than most bags roll!

Really not the evoc, I’ve seen some tiny people strolling round with them no issues at all.
    I’ve getting the set now with the world traveller and when I’m next feeling flush the Terminal hand luggage bag.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Surprisingly it fits across the back seats of a lot of cars

You know that, I know that. Try telling a Maltese taxi driver. Actually, don’t. Don’t take a bike to Malta. Or indeed go to Malta. Terrible place. A parched, listing slab of rock off the coast of Libya, littered with dog turds and ruined farms and fringed with budget hotels and concrete beaches.

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lol I did have to move down the taxi line with the driver of a very small taxi getting upset that he was first but as I was trying to explain the BAGS WON’T FIT!!

rickmeister

It was a long transfer from chamonix to Geneva with a bike, in a cardboard box, in a trailer, in the rain… Checking in a bundle of metal and soggy paper wasn’t a lot of fun… And agree with comments re Malta… Plus, senseless shooting of migrating birds.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Ah! but the beautiful Maltese girls make up for the desolate scenery 😉

iolo
    Free Member

Ive travelled all over Europe with a box. Having to dimantle the bike, loads of bubble wrap and tape. It’s ok.
    Bought an Evoc bag. It takes 10 minutes to pack your bag. Much easier to move around with the wheels. No carrying a 40lb bike plus armour plus all other kit. So much better. The only problem is the outer material is like toiletpaper so tears easily it will look tatty after the first trip. Nothing a few stickers won’t solve. I love mine.
    If you’re only doing one trip the expense of a bag is not worth it. If you’re a frequent traveller youd be a fool not to get one.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Evoc bike bag or cardboard bike box?’ is closed to new replies.