Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Evil Sovereign – tell me more
  • honourablegeorge

Mate is considering one of the CRC discounted ones – as there’s no chance of a demo, he’s not sure on size – got size badly wrong with his current bike.

Any Sovereign owners out there? Interested to hear about your height/size/set-up, pros/cons of the bike, and of course pics if you have them.

bruneep

Today

Yesterday

Medium frame: I’m 5′ 8″

honourablegeorge

Looks great – I’m guessing from the pics it doesn’t mind a climb? What’s the weight like – is it pretty comparable to the 456?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stevelol
    Free Member

5’9″ here, on a medium with a 65mm stem and wide bars.

It fits me fine but it’s taken a bit of jiggery with the seat position, I’m still not settled on it (I’ve moved it forward a good 1.5cm since this pic)

Great bike, it’s my second bike to my full sus and I’m loving riding it at the moment. Fast handling with the intended fork length (140mm, revelation on mine), feels strong as hell and stiff, but yet gives you a bit of cush on drops and jumps. BB is 13″ off the ground with this setup and it’s great in the corners.

warpcow
    Free Member

I got one of the half-price CRC ones about a month ago (I admit I’d never have paid full price). It’s excellent so far; climbs better than I expected, and is just a whole load of fun compared to my full-sus. I have U-turn Pikes on it, but have kept them constantly at 140mm.

I’m 5’10” (with 32″ inside-leg) and went for the medium with a 60mm stem. It’s certainly compact, compared to other bikes I’ve owned, but it’s been fine so far on 3-4hr rides.
    2012-03-23 15.27.01 by warpcow, on Flickr][/url]

honourablegeorge

Nice one, thanks for those. Real nice builds on all three.

I think he’ll be OK on a medium, he’s 5’8″?

warpcow
    Free Member

I’d imagine a medium would be a good fit. Unless he’s really wanting something more ‘chuckable’.

richc
    Free Member

They do look nice, do they take a standard size steerer or are they 44mm?

warpcow
    Free Member

It’s a traditional 1 1/8″ headset.

spanishfly
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 8″

You are never that tall

bruneep

I have special inserts in my spd shoes

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Fast handling with the intended fork length (140mm, revelation on mine), feels strong as hell and stiff,

+10

5′ 11″ – Medium, bought in the CRC sale recently

Sprints uphill very rewardingly [cough] due to frame lateral stiffness. I feel the weight a bit more on long sat-down climbs – avoid overbuilding it.

Downhill the steering is sharp compared with my other bike – steeper HA I guess. The BB also feels higher but this doesn’t seem to worsen cornering as I expected.

With the shortest wheelbase setting, a 65mm stem and a 130mm fork I was extremely scared when the trail got steeper and technical – it’s not the stablest of rides. At the longest setting, a 90mm stem and with sorted fork spring-rate/damping it feels much much better. I’m having my fork let out to 140 as Evil advise. Important to fit a rear tyre you can run at lower pressures for grip and cush – did I say it was stiff?

Don’t buy one if you are really looking for the kind of slack handling you find on Ragleys and similar. It’s more of a beefy singletrack assassin.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Evil Sovereign – tell me more’ is closed to new replies.