Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Evil Sovereign at good 140mm travel hardtail? Experiences / Pics. Yay or nay?
  • WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m looking for 140mm hardtail project and I quite fancy buildng up a Evil Sovereign. I know it will be heavy but to be honest it will only be for 2-3 hour runs, varying between natural stuff and trail centres in the Tweed Valley.

Anyhoo, any advice opinions and of course pictures welcome.

Cheers,

Andy

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

140mm is perfect for it (for general stuff).

bruneep

Great bike, not that heavy but I’m not a race whippet so it not built for that.

Transition trans- am is also one to think of.

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

Yep, great at 140mm but id like to try some 160mm Lyriks at some stage. Running lots of negative pressure in this pic so only about 130mm of stanchion showing.

Not a light HT frame by any means but its worth hauling the extra pound or two up the hills.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is quite tempting, takes a sensible sized seatpost too.

kudos100
    Free Member

I’ll let you know in about a week 😉

djflexure

Initially ran mine with 140 floats then 160 Lyriks – I subsequently dropped these to 150 which was better. Did well for me with Lyriks, 1×9 and chainguide, dropper seatpost. Not especially light but rugged and ideal for long days out in Wales, Peaks plus usual trail centre stuff. Thought I would always ride it but got a great deal on FS Devinci and swapped parts over so its sitting in garage. Can’t decide whether to sell or build up light with bits from my xc bike for winter. This is how I had it initially.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I had a MK1 with Pikes and it was fantastic. I will have another one day.

DSC_0003 by i_ache, on Flickr

Just looking at the picture makes me sad!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get a Cotic BFe, cheaper, lighter and better.

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

Any pics with the Lyriks on djflexure?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

It won’t be much consolation I Ache but thats the best looking Sov I’ve ever seen. Is it a small or something? All the others look a bit gate-like (sorry) and steep (sorry) which has always put me off getting one.

thered

Friend of mine who’s about 5’11” had one in medium but felt that the top tube was too long, liked the ride tho

I_Ache
    Free Member

DBW I weeping now as it is really nice looking isnt it. The MK1 frames all had the same size seat tube (about 14.4″ IIRC)and they were sized short and long. They were also made out of 853. This is a long and it was perfect.

snakebite
    Free Member

your friend mr red, thought it was short hence he swapped it for a BFe. 😀

ash.addy
    Free Member

Love mine to bits going to change to 1×9 though and put a chainguide on. (old photo) the 140mm I find perfectly ok.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve run mine with 140 Fox Floats, Lyrik at 170 and 150. The Fox Floats 140 and Lyrik at 150 suit it best which had similar A2C. The Lyrik suit the bike better as the Fox Float were too flexy.
    It’s a great frame, which makes any ride entertaining.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Evil Sovereign at good 140mm travel hardtail? Experiences / Pics. Yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.