Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Evil Sovereign 2012 – Rust proof?
  • bertoni
    Free Member

Hi
    First post here so be gentle:) I’m hopefully gonna be receiving a 2012 Evil Sovereign sometime soon (ohhhh yeaaaah!) and would like to know if it is already treated against rust? If it isn’t should I do it myself and if so, what should I use?
    Many thanks in advance for your help
    Leon

munrobiker
    Free Member

It isn’t treated but mine is coming up to 6 years old and is fine, I’d not worry about it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Probably not, but I’ve never had a steel frame rust through, and my commuter is probaly 50!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

My Gary Fisher went on the seat tube.

Spray some frame saver in it would be my advice.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Grease the seat tube regulatly

c_klein87

I sprayed aload of this stuff in my Niner, it seems to have less surface rust in there than it did before, worth 8 quid id say

bertoni
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. It’s weird but a bloke on MTBR says he contacted Evil who told him the frame was protected. He is however the only person i’ve seen anywhere who says this! How do you go about protecting the frame?

lamo
    Free Member

Hi bertoni….i now have a sov and the inside of it does have an anti corrosion coating….it is easily visible by just looking inside the seat tube or the bb….ive had various other steel frames including a cotic soul, bfe, genesis alptitude and a ragley blue pig and the one which wasnt treated in any way was the pig and that had slight signs of rust inside after only a week from new as it was completely raw were as the others all had a type of coating inside….

bertoni
    Free Member

Wow Lamo that is some good news right there! :DHow you finding the Sovereign? How does it compare to the Soul etc?

lamo
    Free Member

I love it…really great frame and very well made. I personally found the soul to noodley, i could really feel the rear end twisting around…bfe and alptitude were both lovely and very similar to the sov and the blue pig was also great but felt very different to ride. In fact the blue pig is the only frame ive ridden that felt totally different to any other frame ive had from the first ride. I loved it

bertoni
    Free Member

Thanks for that mate. Can’t wait for it to arrive now! It’ll be my first hardtail (I have a SC Nomad Carbon at the moment). Look forward to improving my riding skills with a more unforgiving ride:)

bertoni
    Free Member

No way Lamo, just seen you’re from Brighton! Lived there from 1997 to 2001! Lived in Brunswick Square…love that place. Live in the French Alps now…nice riding territory:)

skiboy
    Free Member

Mines coming up for 3yrs and has no rust if that helps,

Build it , ride it , great frame just enjoy.

lamo
    Free Member

Thats a coincidence….im hoping to go riding in the alps one day

tymbian
    Free Member

[quote
    I love it…really great frame and very well made. I personally found the soul to noodley, i could really feel the rear end twisting around…bfe and alptitude were both lovely and very similar to the sov and the blue pig was also great but felt very different to ride. In fact the blue pig is the only frame ive ridden that felt totally different to any other frame ive had from the first ride. I loved it

How does it ( the Sov ) compare to the other frames you’ve mentioned.. ( they are all on my shortlist ) is the Sov a harsher ride than the Pig?

lamo
    Free Member

If im honest, for me how harsh a hardtail feels depends on what mood im in……i can feel suttle differences in all of them but if im really in the mood to move around and enjoy it they all feel great but sometimes i go out because i feel like ive got to go for a ride and any hardtail just feels harsh. I think thats why i love them.if ur in the mood u cant beat them. The sovs no harsher than a pig or vice versa

tymbian
    Free Member

Why have you kept the Sov over of all the frames you mentioned?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I find my Sov suspiciously comfortable, always have. It’s very good. It is mostly down to the yard of seatpost you have to have hanging out of it due to the short seat tube- it really helps.

lamo
    Free Member

Its not that ive kept it… its just that its one ive always wanted to try out and its now my current frame

craigxxl
    Free Member

I can’t imagine getting rid of my Sovereign. When I had an FS it was great to ride but it always the Evil I took out making the FS redundant. Sure the FS climbed better and was faster but the Sovereign is pure fun. It just feels great whatever ride I’m doing. They aren’t light but don’t feel heavy when ridden but they are comfortable and feel bombproof.

kudos100
    Free Member

I loved my Sov. The problem was it is weighed a metric ton.

The geometry is brilliant though. Run the chainstays really short and you end up drifting round corners and jumping and manualling as much as you can.

In the end I got a bit tired of peddling around a freeride hardtail on trail rides.

mafiafish
    Free Member

I’ve seen a sov rust through – Fortunateson on here’s. Still hammered it about with no problems though. I guess there’s a payoff to hauling that amount of steel around with you. He also dropped it down a Via Ferrata rock face when we tried to find ‘secret stuff’ in Alpe d’ Huez – merely scuffed it. However, it did rust from the inside rather than from a scratch or gouge. I guess there must have been some water trapped in the headset or something

bertoni
    Free Member

That sounds a bit worrying! Did Evil not treat earlier models? Was it an earlier model? Hmmmm… Doesn’t seem to be a definite answer to the rust question regarding the Sovereign. I imagine treating the frame is a must then, just to be safe?

munrobiker
    Free Member

His is the only one I’ve heard of breaking and he does ride it like a bastard.

Mine has some rust spots but as I say it is 6 years old, so fair enough. I’ve had quite a few other bikes come and go in that time and I’ll never get rid. Mine’s 28lbs too, so not so bad.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Evil Sovereign 2012 – Rust proof?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts