Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Evil Sovereign…
  • snakebite
    Free Member

Cant wait for mine now-should be here Monday! Now what to hang on :lol:it…..

Chainline
    Free Member

Skiboy, what advice did you get on the Sov with 160 Vans, thinking of doing that instead of 150 u turn sektors, only 200g diff in weight but I can get a great set of 36 Vans s/h, try and save the weight off the wheels 🙂

Is the bike ok with them?

Can you just let the fork sag into its travel a little more than normal, say 30% i.e. run it softer.and just adjust the lcr to dial out some dive?

Advice wanted, want to press the button on the Fox’s ….

email in profile if its a bit of an essay!

Thanks in advance

djflexure

Its great, if not a little bit heavy. Like it much more than the Five I had before – but perhaps that’s unfair as that bike was a little big for me.

Seems to do well everywhere I take it. The only time I wanted FS was going down the Beast in Derbyshire (the day I took this pic).

EDIT: Didn’t see this was an old thread. Running mine with 140’s so no help there I’m afraid. Did notice it was heavier when I put Conti RQ on. The bike does seem to go well with them. Could be an alternative to bigger forks.

slowrider
    Free Member

I ran mine with lyriks. Started off winding them down for climbs but soon couldn’t be bothered. Definitely convinced that 160 is the way forward. Run them with 30% sag and slow damping and it will be a beast! I would recommend a dual ply rear tyre too, you will really rag it!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Coil Pikes on mine, match made in heaven.

skiboy
    Free Member

the emails i got from gabe and kevin @ evil are not on my mac, so i will email them to you when i get to work in the morning,

it’s all good though, i have a cotic soul with fox 32 130mm on which rides really sweet, but compared to the sov with 36 vans the soul feels like its made of jelly !,

it is heavier but who cares, i just chucked huge wods of xtr,xo and carbon at it to bring the weight back down a tad, you don’t notice the extra weight but it sure feels solid, climbs better than the cotic with the 130’s which gets all noodly,

i say press that button, and to help here is another sexy pic 😉

Rickos
    Free Member

Is the BB not stoopid high on these bikes? Even with 140mm forks.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Is the BB not stoopid high on these bikes? Even with 140mm forks.

13.1 inches with 145mm travel, apparently. I don’t really know how that stacks up, but the bike feels extremely planted.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

just measured mine, it’s a whopping 13.3 🙄

Rickos
    Free Member

Aye, but 13.3 inches is high for a hardtail. My old Prophet was 13 dead before I sat on it. Does it not make for a sat on rather than in sort of feeling?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Maybe I’ll take the 2.4 RQ’s off which will drop it at least half an inch….

skiboy
    Free Member

13.25 and 67 degs head angle with 160vans according to kevin@Evil, raising the BB height 8mm from 140 fork height,

mine has never felt like i’m perched on top ?,

Chainline
    Free Member

I presume that NB is without sag, tbh when I’m riding a hardtail the only time I’m sitting is uphill!
    I reckon 29lbs with 160s, hammerschizzle and no carbon.

I’m gonna do some SS 24hr races on it and basically use it for winter riding andplaying/jumping on and sometimes just for a change from the full suss beast.

Its almost certainly over the top but hey, I loved the look of it!

Chainline
    Free Member

BB on a Blu Pig is 13.3in just for ref. I would say that’s a comparable bike, it was certainly my other choice.

chameleon78
    Free Member

anyone tried 125mm forks on one of these? Been considering swapping my chameleon for one, although I’m really enjoying the cham at the moment and the mrs wouldn’t approve a swap I bet!

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I’m gonna do some SS 24hr races on it and basically use it for winter riding andplaying/jumping on and sometimes just for a change from the full suss beast.

You might well find yourself riding it more than anything else.

I’ve done 10 and 24hr races on mine SS and geared. Whilst it’s not exactly the tool for the job, it’s perfectly capable, and when it gets to that nice tech bit of the lap, the extra weight will be the last thing on your mind. Nice feeling racing XC on my Megavalanche bike, too.

Chainline
    Free Member

I want to do the mega but on my Nicolai Helius AM .

I do like to stick it to the man sometimes on kit that’s not ‘supposed’ to be right for the job, rode the Trans Provence this year on a rigid Jones, ’twas ace,

Chainline
    Free Member

Mmmm [/url] Evil Sov

geetee1972
    Free Member

If only they made one in titanium……

accu
    Free Member

+1…for a titanium sovereign !

ianpinder
    Free Member

well brodie do……

Chainline
    Free Member

Steel is real 😉 it’s only a pound guys 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think it would be a bit more than 1lb. The Evil Sovereign apparently (according to MBUK) weighs 6lbs 2ozs. A titanium equivalent would be heavy at 4lbs and could probably be built to weigh 3.5lbs, which is what other DH focused Ti hard tails (Ragley Ti, Charge Ion etc) weigh.

Chainline
    Free Member

@gee tee, the difference between a Soul and Soda is 1.2lb. You can make a 3.5lb hard tail (Soda before CEN and strengthening was 3.3) but you wouldn’t be running 160/170s on them!

Bear in mind the Evil as built is, well, overbuilt for jumps parks etc. So like for like I would say a pound is about right, maybe 1.5.

The holeshot is 3.4lb rated for 140s. At 3.3 the Soda was quite flexy. I liked it, but flexy it was. The Evil is kinda rock solid, much like BFe.

The guys at Evil run their own on 160’s 🙂

I must weigh mine later.

si-wilson
    Free Member

The holeshot is 3.4lb rated for 140s

I have been getting some ride time on my Ti Holeshot recently, my first HT for a long time. I was a little worried about going back to HT, but this thing is brilliant, I just don’t miss the FS and am just as fast on this bike.

I’ll update with some pic’s when i get the chance, if anyone wants to see?

messiah
    Free Member

if anyone wants to see?

I’ll go get myself some fresh pants.

heihei

Si – are you lending this out for demos at all? I really really want a Ti version of the Sov so am keen to try frames that look close on paper!

si-wilson
    Free Member

Not really for general demo use, though if you email me I’ll try to arrange for you to have a go 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

HeiHei I smell another project….

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Evil Sovereign…’ is closed to new replies.