Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Evil Sovereign…
  • DarrenH

Hello all,
    I'm liking the look of the Evil Sovereign frame.
    Anyone on here built up a bike with this frame and is it any good?
    Cheers people. 🙂

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Absolute monster of a frame.

I have one as my only bike built up singlespeed and use it for everything. Very versatile, completely invincible and astonishingly capable. Look brilliant, too IMO.

Mine is one of the older 853 ones, but by all accounts the new ones are at least as good.

Seriously. Just buy one right now.

(Pretty duff pic, sorry)

DarrenH

Cheers 09, it does look very nice…
    How much did your complete build cost if you don't mind me asking

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I'm not sure actually – I payed for it with my student loan so I've not dared to add it all up.

I guess I spent about £650 on it, but I had brakes, drivetrain, tyres and other various bits and bats lying around.

Frame came off the classifieds here in good condition for £300 but I've seen them for less than £250

skiboy
    Free Member

built mine up last weekend, first time out will be sunday, always wanted one, rather excited, hope i can live up to it's reputation

heihei

I bought an 853 one off Ebay recently based off the reviews I'd seen in various mags. It was built up with parts I had lying around (Pikes, RF cranks, and some Crossmax SX wheels borrowed from my 5-Spot) and it came in around 29lbs so not light. I was half-expecting to be disappointed thinking the mags may have over-hyped it, but no – far from it – this is an amazing bike.
    For once, the reviews are spot-on – this is a real hooligan bike. It rarely has both wheels on the ground at the same time, or even pointing in the same direction (it's the first bike I've been able to slide around corners without feeling the need to stick a foot out). I often find that instead of steering to change direction you end up just picking the front wheel up – it is by far the easiest bike to manual I've ever ridden.
    It jumps beautifully – a mate of mine rode it for the first time and rode a set of jumps he'd never had the balls to ride before, even on his full-suss – a great indication of how confidence-inspiring the bike is.
    One review commented that the bike always made you feel you were about to bin it because it encourages you to ride it that way, but you never actually do because it rescues you at the last minute – it's so true!
    If you're getting the impression I like this bike you're right – the only bike I've ridden which comes close to this is a Cove Stiffee, but the Evil is better by quite a margin. The only thing I'm puzzling over is what one would be like in Ti!!

saxabar
    Free Member

I seriously want one of these (money waiting if anyone is selling!). Any idea which size for someone at 5ft 10/12st? I'm guesstimating a medium.

slowrider
    Free Member

i built mine up at the end of january with coil lyriks, saint gruppo etc and its 33lbs with a dual ply rear tyre. its still fine for getting around the peaks at that weight and its a riot downhill. its really reminded me that you can be just as fast as a fs (and in most cases faster) on a decent ht.

im selling my frame now as its inspired me to build something bigger and have a go at a few dh events and possibly a megavalanche. ill be sad to see it go as its been absolutely mint but with a big bike in the shed i need something a bit more xc for those less 'core' rides!

seriously, get one. its the most aggressive bike iv ever owned.

saxabar
    Free Member

slowrider – ygm!

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Love mine too, replaced a Foes FS and HT as only bike.

Mine is built with Rohloff and Magura Thors, think it will be around the 30lb mark.

slowrider
    Free Member

saxabar ygm

grumpystevo, yours convinced me to get mine!

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Slowrider, glad to have helped spend someone else's cash for once. 🙂

If you are selling and looking to part with the Burgtec bars let me know quite fancy a pair.

pic of mine (now running 2.4 Nobby Nics F&R)

ianpinder
    Free Member

I'll be buying one just after the summer for my hooligan bike.

heihei

Ian – glad you've seen the light – thought you were getting a BFe??

poppa
    Free Member

They do look nice, them frames.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

It's the greatest bike ever built. Simply incredible.

Fortunateson bought his after riding mine. It's fast, fun and you can point it down pretty much anything and it'll get you through it.

Mine gets ridden in the highlands, lakes, peaks and at trail centres and I don't think anything's ever phased it.

Sadly mine looks a little more abused than the ones above! It is 3 years old though and has done thousands of miles.

ianpinder
    Free Member

No I went for the prince alber because it was half the price, an excellent bike, but I'm going to buy an all day xc fs so there is to much overlap. I'll sell the pa and buy the sov instead…….. take my tally of bikes upto 6 eek.

heihei

My usual riding buddy has a Prince Albert – he got the test frame for the new design from Mike via Head for the Hills. We did a ride recently where we took 3 hardtails out: his PA, my Sov, and a Ti 456. Apart from longer climbs, where the 4lb lighter Ti 456 was the pick, the Sov blew them all away. Not that the other 2 are bad bikes – far from it, the PA is a bargain, as is the Ti 456 for a Lynsky-built Ti – but the Sov is just in a different league for putting a smile on your face!
    As for numbers, it's an addiction! The Sov made it 7 (and then there's the road bike)!!!

heihei

Ha ha – just noticed the tags!! I hope whoever put them there has actually ridden one. If so, you're welcome to your opinion, just as I am to mine. If not…..

ianpinder
    Free Member

I will struggle to justify it,

I think I wil end up with
    Nicolai Helius ST – DH Duties
    Shorter travel Nicolai Helius AM – Knarfest day rides
    Some Short travel XC FS, prehaps a Orange ST4
    Evil Sov – Knarfest day ride HT
    Evil DOC – Might sell this when I get the Sov
    Boardman Roadbike.

thatscold
    Free Member

Slowrider, glad to have helped spend someone else's cash for once.

If you are selling and looking to part with the Burgtec bars let me know quite fancy a pair.

pic of mine (now running 2.4 Nobby Nics F&R)

How do you find it with the Nobby Nic? Are the 2.4 very draggy? I think about getting some but don't know whether to go for the 2.25?

GavinB

Ha ha – just noticed the tags!! I hope whoever put them there has actually ridden one.

Going by the spelling, I doubt the person is worth taking too seriously!

Anyone here ridden one and a BFe? I'd be keen to hear how they compare, as I love my BFe, but you know…

I guess the biggest issue is the cost, as compared to the BFe they are expensive, and that is usually considered a reasonably expensive HT.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

thatscold

Only been out on them once and it was mostly dry trail, they were draggy in bits but the others i were out with felt the same on 2.4 Racing Ralphs and assorted Maxxi so put it down to terrain rather than tyres.

I never got on with the Ardents, washed out too easily i felt, and having previously run the NN 2.25s thought i would try the 2.4 USTs absoulute b1tch to get on the Stans rims, but think they will be just the job for the dusty summer trails……..

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I run a front 2.4 Nic and usually a 2.25 rear and they're excellent for all year all round duty- mud, rocks, everything. I'll admit to swapping to Nevegal DHs for alpine stuff though.

Jim-bob
    Free Member

Should finish my build up this weekend, shame I've knackered me ankle 🙁 I'll post pics when it's finished.

DarrenH

Cool, thanks for all the help guys.
    I'm guessing it's a pretty awesome bike , better start saving I reckon!
    One last thing, what's it like on the uphill climbs?
    Gracias!

finners

skiboy, thats nice!!!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

It's far more capable than it should ever really be allowed to be uphill. It's very good for what it is. Actually it's straight up pretty good regardless of what it is.

heihei

One last thing, what's it like on the uphill climbs?

You feel the weight over a lighter hardtail, but aside from that, as SpokesCycles says.

skiboy
    Free Member

I just been for a shakedown on my sov before it's first ride in the morning , jumped if everything in sight !!,
    it's bloody excellent fun !!! Can't wait til the morning 🙂

My next post may be from a&e !!

heihei

My next post may be from a&e !!

Ha ha – there's a ledge on my local loop that you can launch from at various points. I've ridden it loads on my 5-Spot and 456 and done what I thought was quite big. Second time on my Evil I launched it from the highest point I've ever done – when we went back to check it out, I reckon I'd cleared about 12'!!

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

just finished mine today. its the first time i have been on a hardtail for a few years and boy was it fun. im thinkning the 38t ring at the front might be a little big? its not that light coming in at 31lbs but i have pikes on the front and some fairly meaty components. will get pictures up soon.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Great wee bike. A keeper for sure.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Update : Turns out you can use a Sovereign as an XC race bike, too. Managed to get a very reasonable position at 10 under on my singlespeed earlier. And had an absolute riot doing so. Next stop, Megavalanche…

skiboy
    Free Member

Well the results are in, and i can tell you these bikes are amazing,

I've still got the silly grin on my face from sliding the back end round every avaliable tree and corner whilst hurtling down the hill at never before speeds :P,

now it's time to dispell a few myths,

1, 160 vans on the evil sovereign are good, not bad, 😀
    2, the headtube failed to snap and poke me eyes out, 😉
    3, you CAN climb on a evil sov even with 160 vans, 😛
    4, you can go so much faster down hills with a set of 160 vans (without crapping your pants) 😯
    5, not every bit of advice you get on this forum is based on fact
    and some peole may just being trying to talk you out of something
    that they would do if they could 👿
    6, if you want to experiment and try things, screw what others think :mrgreen:
    7, i would like to thank Gabe and Kevin at EVIL for giving me some pointers on how to get the most out of a longer fork on their bike, 😉

gregga
    Free Member

I can vouch for Skiboy's sweet tail slides 😆

Jim-bob
    Free Member

Only got one ropey shot of it so far, spent a week around Cwmcarn with it with a still iffy ankle. Lets just say it's a lot of fun if a little heavier than my usual ride. The build is a reasonable compromise on weight/strength but going to have to weigh it when I get a chance . New pedals and saddle to go on too as the sdg on there is a little xc and feels like sitting on a brick with a 31.6 post.

Jim-bob
    Free Member

skiboy
    Free Member

good work jim bob,

I'm liking that sov, welcome to the evil fold,

looks like i'm not the only one with dodgy cable outers 😛

I'm still in lots of pain from crashing out on the monkey a few weeks back, been riding my cotic soul to work to give my ribs a rest until they heal properly, (normally ride a SS daily but having trouble standing on the hills) then i will be back up the woods on the sov..

night night jim bob

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

bloody love mine. its like the jack russell of hard tails. im thinking of running the wheelbase shorter but apart from that love love love it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Evil Sovereign…’ is closed to new replies.