Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Evil Sovereign
  • longweight
    Free Member

Does anybody own the above frame? I am really tempted to buy one for the summer, my Caldera is lovely to ride but the top tube is too high for really technical riding.

I’m 6’1 which apparently means I am too big for the Evil D.O.C so I will have to opt for the Sovereign… only problem is the price…

sc-xc
    longweight
    Free Member

God thats nice… If only I could afford it straight away!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    longweight
    Free Member

Could anyone suggest a decent alternative to this frame?

househusband
    Free Member
    mildred

I’m sure that one was mine – it cost me £215 for the paint job and it looks much MUCH nicer than the original paint. Very subtle.

That’s a bargain by the way.

Don’t buy a DOC – they’re very different, and at your height riding with the seat up will be impossible (unless you have a freaky long body and stumpy legs).

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I’m 6ft 3 and a long sovereign is a great wee bike as long as you don’t want to ride for massive distances. Mech hangers and the seatpost shim seem to be hard to get now.

st

I’d thoroughly recommend an Alpine, I’m 6′ 1″ too and can get mine to fit well enough for long rides albeit the long seatpost looks odd.

Only problem is availability, had the last 17/23 from Mike back in December and don’t know when the next batch is due in so it’d be worth dropping him a line.

longweight
    Free Member

Ok the frame looks like the thing I am looking for, what size would you recommend? I want to be able to climb on it in the french alps (4-5 hours uphill) but I will compromise climbing ability for the downhill ride. Would the 15.5 be too small?

jcromton
    Free Member

Hi, if you’re after a mega budget frame, I ride an NS bikes Surge. I absolutely love this bike, but I’m just over 6′ and need to operate a 410mm seatpost. Proper rad bike and mega cheap. I’ve done big drops and 70km epics in the Alps no problem.

The Evil is my dream frame though, a chap in my club has one and it’s unreal how nice it is.

st – Member

I’d thoroughly recommend an Alpine, I’m 6′ 1″ too and can get mine to fit well enough for long rides albeit the long seatpost looks odd.

Only problem is availability, had the last 17/23 from Mike back in December and don’t know when the next batch is due in so it’d be worth dropping him a line.

Mk2 Alpines should be back in stock September/October.

longweight – Member

Ok the frame looks like the thing I am looking for, what size would you recommend? I want to be able to climb on it in the french alps (4-5 hours uphill) but I will compromise climbing ability for the downhill ride. Would the 15.5 be too small?

Yep. 15.5″ Alpine would probably be too small for you if you want to ride it up as well as down. Sounds like you’re not in a rush though, so maybe you’ll still be in the market for a frame when the new Alpines arrive.

longweight
    Free Member

The main issue I have with the Caldera is the stand over height, the saddle just gets in the way and I keep hitting the top tube on my thighs. The Alpine is lovely but I’m struggling to see where the top tube would sit in comparison with the Caldera

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Mike, whats the difference between a MK1 and MK2 Alpine?

Also, you would need a 17 inch Alpine, I have a 17/22 and Im 6foot2. I can get on with it on long rides because Im used to short frames, maybe a 17/23 might be better for you?

Its an absolutely good bike though

longweight
    Free Member

Well I will have to test ride one…. I can only see head for the hills, anyone know of a bike shop in London that might have one? Or anyone in London that could tell me about the frame?

scruff
    Free Member

MK2?

Que?

chunkypaul
    Free Member

that looks bargain to me…

6’1″ and have a size long here

Longweight, Head for the Hills is the only place in the country with an Alpine demo bike.

David/Scruff, Mk2 Alpine samples are being made now and will be heading straight out to trailAddiction in Les Arcs. Angles are the same, but I’ve revised/simplified the sizing options. I’ll confirm everything once the test riders have given me some feedback.

longweight
    Free Member

Well I know where trail addiction is so I guess I should head over there for a long weekend to have a quick go?

Hell yeah. No excuse needed to ride with tA in Les Arcs. The trails out there are awesome!

Stoner
    Free Member

I still think the Evil Sovereign is one of the best lookign hardtails out there.
    There was a guy on STW v1.0 who posted a pic of a deep navy blue frame with bright ticatac orange Menjas* – it was superb! if only they could make a 29er look that sweet 🙂

*If Anyone knows who it was or has a link to the picture Id be grateful – I could add it to my frot collection 🙂

longweight
    Free Member

I must admit I’m a BV boy really, it would be like cheating!

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Here is my Sovereign.

Stoner
    Free Member

and these were clean boxers….

longweight
    Free Member

Do you think the frame is worth the money compared to the similar geometry frames you can get for about £400?

beagle
    Free Member

New version of the Evil is out soon will be £590 I think. No 853 though.

longweight – Member

Do you think the frame is worth the money compared to the similar geometry frames you can get for about £400?

The frame shape/profiles might look similar, but the Alpine and the Sovereign have quite different geometry. Head angles aren’t a million miles apart but seat angles, top tube lengths and BB heights are considerably different.

longweight
    Free Member

Beagle are you saying a new sovereign will come out soon?

Jamie
    Free Member

mike-at-dialledbikes:

*cough* stickers? *cough* 😉

S#it Jamie, sorry. E-mail me your address again!

beagle
    Free Member

Sorry for the delay. Yup, I called Silverfish the other week. New version any time now and I’d love one!!! Do a google search, there are one or two pics floating around. If I remember right, more size options too.

Dylan08
    Free Member

Please see my ad in the classifieds – Its an 853 Long Soverign (full bike for less than the frame new) priced to sell as I need the £ towards new house fee’s – otherwise I wouldnt be selling this peach

Im in Leeds and could do the deal this weekend – cash on collection

🙂

yossarian
    Free Member
    longweight
    Free Member

Dylan I would love to take you up on that offer but I currently only have £500 and I assume that offer would take the p*ss!

Beagle do you have any ideas about cost on the new frame?

slightreturn
    Free Member

i have a sovereign, i find it brilliant,always suprising me with what hammer it can take, and the things it tears through. steady away up hill.
    im just over 6ft, and require a 410mm seat post. pike forks and hope brakes. perfect for the hills around Holmfirth.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I paid £350 for mine.

longweight
    Free Member

Second hand?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Yes, ebay, a few years back. CRC had one for about 550 new recently. Even reduced that is a lot of money for a wee hardtail.

beagle
    Free Member

Yup. Think the newbie is gonna be £590 rrp.

longweight
    Free Member

Sounds like a good deal to me! Where did you get the info from?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Evil Sovereign’ is closed to new replies.