Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Evil carbon DH frame
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Evil Undead on Pinkbike.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

That sure is purty! The carbon V10 will take some beating though…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Read about it yesterday. Didn’t realise they had so many issues with the Revolt.

That new Undead though… in that build is possibly the most ‘I WANT’ bike I’ve seen since a Fat Chance Shock-a-Billy in red with Judy DHs in the mid 90s!

wwaswas

Their garden could do with some weeding;

snakebite
    Free Member

I think I need to sell a child..

neil853
    Free Member

That is lovely, makes me want a dh bike again really badly…….

kimbers

wonder if they went carbon to save weight iirc that video on the dirt website the revolt was the heaviest of all the wc bikes
    either way looks nice but pricey I suspect!

scottw
    Free Member

How happy will the people be that are waiting on their warranty replacement revolt’s after reading that?

Stunning looking bike!

psychle
    Free Member

Gorgeous… looks properly evil too!

peterfile
    Free Member

I’d be waiting until it’s been out in the real world for a while before spanking the cash. They’ve not got the best track record for warranty replacements!

chakaping
    Free Member

Their garden could do with some weeding;

And don’t even get me started on the pointing on that wall!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

How happy will the people be that are waiting on their warranty replacement revolt’s after reading that?

Probably pretty p*ssed in fairness, as some have already been waiting nearly a year.

Still, whats another 6 months to be given another largely unproven replacement frame…

scottw
    Free Member

Still, they probably thought they wouldn’t be getting a new frame, so i’d have said it was pretty good news.

kimbers

this must have cost evil a hellalot of cash, bank loan alal raceface or wealthy owners?

mikey74
    Free Member

They couldn’t get the aluminium Revolt right, so how do they expect us to believe they’ve got this carbon one right? Especially at the price it must cost.

Northwind

mikey74 – Member

They couldn’t get the aluminium Revolt right, so how do they expect us to believe they’ve got this carbon one right?

Depending on who you believe- Evil got the frame right, their factory didn’t. Since it’s being made by a different factory, no reason to doubt it. After all they’re not likely to get the welds wrong.

peterfile
    Free Member

Depending on who you believe- Evil got the frame right, their factory didn’t.

It’s one and the same though.

Evil should never have distributed frames which were not up to the standard they specified to the factory.

Once you stick your name on something, you can’t hide behind your manufacturer. They stuck a premium price on a product that wasn’t very reliable. A bit like Lapierre 😉

legend
    Free Member

Any company needs to either be in control of their manufacturing processes or their suppliers. Either way the guys putting their badge on it are the ones that need to take the blame.

The fact that they dont appear to be taking legal action against the old factory makes me think that their spec was full of holes, and the supplier did what they were told and built to the spec.

peterfile
    Free Member

The fact that they dont appear to be taking legal action against the old factory makes me think that their spec was full of holes, and the supplier did what they were told and built to the spec.

100%. That’s exactly what an input or output based spec is for – to make sure you get what you want and you have legal recourse if you don’t end up with what you paid for.

Something went wrong somewhere between design and QA. Regardless of whose fault it is, as Evil have put their name on it and sold it for £2.3k per frame, it’s their problem.

Northwind

legend – Member

Possibly. Perhaps they already are and we just don’t know. Perhaps the factory has a team of attack lawyers and it’s not a fight they think would be profitable. Maybe what’s funding this new frame is a big out-of-court from the factory. Not that simple really.

legend
    Free Member

that’s a whole load of perhaps/possibly/maybes there. What is absolutely certain though is that Evil did not control their supplier (assuming it wasn’t the design at fault) and paid the price

Northwind

legend – Member

that’s a whole load of perhaps/possibly/maybes there

That was rather my point… A bit too much certainty in your post and especially peterfiles IMO, what’s needed is a few more perhaps/possibly/maybes.

peterfile
    Free Member

EDIT: I’ve just reread my post and it’s not supposed to sound as confrontational as it does!! Just trying to make my point a bit clearer 😀

A bit too much certainty in your post and especially peterfiles IMO, what’s needed is a few more perhaps/possibly/maybes.

Can you show me where I was certain of anything that wasn’t based on fact?

What do you want us to say? Maybe Evil struggled with warranty replacements? Maybe some of their frames failed? Maybe people have been waiting on warranty replacements since last year?

FACT: A number of their frames failed (fair enough, same thing happens with other brands), but
    FACT: They were struggling with warranty replacements, because
    FACT: They had hundreds of frames with dodgy rear ends just sitting in storage

‘d be waiting until it’s been out in the real world for a while before spanking the cash. They’ve not got the best track record for warranty replacements!

Fact.

It’s one and the same though.

Evil should never have distributed frames which were not up to the standard they specified to the factory.

Once you stick your name on something, you can’t hide behind your manufacturer. They stuck a premium price on a product that wasn’t very reliable. A bit like Lapierre

Fact

100%. That’s exactly what an input or output based spec is for – to make sure you get what you want and you have legal recourse if you don’t end up with what you paid for.

Something went wrong somewhere between design and QA. Regardless of whose fault it is, as Evil have put their name on it and sold it for £2.3k per frame, it’s their problem.

Fact. The point I was making about something going wrong between design and QA was to highlight that it could have been anywhere in the process, but regardless there are people with warranty claims outstanding since last year, and that’s Evils issue to resolve.

Sure, if it was the factory that screwed up then that’s a shame for Evil. But I feel more sorry for the people who spanked nearly £2.5k on a frame and haven’t been able to get out on their bike since last year.

eshershore
    Free Member

I know people who have worked at “the factory” that made the Evil Revolt frames – there are currently 300 crooked Revolt frames sitting in boxes in the corner of the factory

they cannot be sold, and cannot be used for warranty purposes as they are f*cked

the problems with the Revolt were two-fold

1. an poorly-designed frame (it wasn’t actually fully designed when the factory was told to build it)

2. quality control problems (the factory is well known for “issues” unless you pay 100% attention to quality control at every stage)…and even then its pot luck

put 1. and 2. together and it was a disaster = the Revolt frame

regarding 1. the “Delta Link” kinematics were done by D.W. but he had no involvement in the ‘physical packaging’ of the Delta Link or other frame components

the short links placed huge stresses on the links, bearings and pivot hardware which was transferred into the mountings on the frame components, causing the premature failures of pivot-related parts and the frameset itself – I was told the links could experience nearly 6-8 tonnes of load at full bottom out

when the design was handed over to the factory, it was seriously flawed; the factory’s in-house design engineer did his best to rectify the issues and told Evil it was unworkable but production deadlines were looming..

shame, because it was a really trick looking frame, and Evil had a fresh marketing approach with some great graphics and team riders

I know of a number of riders who suffered ongoing problems with their Revolts, and one guy who had 3 different frames in a year with the 3rd taking over 6 months to show up – which he promptly sold off cheap

hopefully Evil can get this carbon version right with a decent vendor and redesigned Delta link packaging

legend
    Free Member

If you want more info on the new frame this is a good place to start: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240178 plenty of input from DW too

kimbers

interesting comments from dw there legend

i know faff all about suspennsion leverage ratio curve wotnots but it does look low on mud clearance to me, i know pics can be misleading and proto etc but dont fancy getting that wheel turning on a gloopy day at moelfre

Northwind

Peterfile

“Can you show me where I was certain of anything that wasn’t based on fact?”

Yup, this:

“The fact that they dont appear to be taking legal action against the old factory makes me think that their spec was full of holes, and the supplier did what they were told and built to the spec”

“100%”

That’s pure speculation- “they’re not suing, therefore X”

peterfile
    Free Member

sorry, i don’t see where either Legend or I was suggesting something was certain here?

The fact that they dont appear to be taking legal action against the old factory makes me think that their spec was full of holes, and the supplier did what they were told and built to the spec

It couldn’t be made any clearer that it’s PERSONAL OPINION, a view formed from what we have seen.

Nobody said “they are not taking legal action” or “their spec was full of holes”.

Legend stated his opinion, and I agreed 100%:

they don’t appear to be taking legal action” and “makes me think that their spec was full of holes”

Sorry if i’m missing the point here, but all that’s happened is that after reading the chain of events and Evil’s comments, coupled with a bit of business knowledge, legend took a guess (and I thought it was quite clear that it was just an educated guess) as to what might have happened and I agreed. Isn’t that what you suggested we should do? Give some maybes etc?

Northwind

“100%” is pretty certain 😕 Maybe I’m taking that differently from how it meant but Legend set out his maybes and you came back with “100%”

peterfile
    Free Member

aye, I think we’ve just got our wires crossed Northwind 😆

I meant 100% as in “i agree with legend’s comments 100%”

Northwind

Fair enough then- sorry if I bit your nose off 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Evil carbon DH frame’ is closed to new replies.