Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Everyday's a school day…what have you learnt today?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Six miles of road to get to the best local trail…0.5 mile in and puncture tubeless tyre for first time…bollux! Me and mate have one tube between us and the valve is too wide for the rim – ride over! I’ll be packing a spare tube in future! Oh and Halloumi doesn’t BBQ on burgers very well. Your turn…

Jamie
    Free Member

No sealant in there?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I learned that running a half marathon on very limited training is hard work – especially when it’s quite warm weather.

beej

I learnt that the cafe at Avebury doesn’t open until 10am.

5plusn8
    Free Member

That even if you are right, sometimes it is just better to apologise profusely and move on.

hairyscary

That when I mow the lawn I walk 1.2 miles. 😡

bearnecessities

That hail absolutely descimates spinach. Looks like scene from Reservoir Dogs.

That when I mow the lawn I walk 1.2 miles.

My Dad worked this out the other day – 6 miles! (For the man he gets in, natch).

loddrik
    Free Member

My dog would rather dig than walk.

It doesn’t matter where I hide onion ring crisps. They will be found and eaten.

Edukator
    Free Member

That when you point out that people who wouldn’t dream of littering are quite happy to remap their diesel and contribute to air pollution that’s killing people and objectively more of a health problem. Some expletive deleted will assume you don’t think littering is a bad thing.

iffoverload
    Free Member

kneepads. use them. allways.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

That I’m buying a girls car and I don’t care.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Indeed, it seems that any car you drive determines whether you produce sperm or not.

Kryton57

That even apparent stalwart environmentalists cant recognise littering is a deadly environmental issue, but imply human life more valuable tham others in thier quest.

rascal
    Free Member

Jamie – yes there was sealant but it was a slash not a hole…initially anyway. Just discovered a big thorn in it too which I think I got from wheeling it to the pub! I have some of those worm things which will do the hole but not the slash which is 5-10mm – will this be fixable somehow with some sort of patch on the inside of the tyre?

maxtorque

Today, I’ve learn’t that i’m pretty awesome with a Bow and Arrow!

The 6 and 9 year olds i was competing against didn’t stand a chance…..

😆

Edukator
    Free Member

but imply human life more valuable tham others in thier quest.

Nope, I just limited my argument to humans with no mention of other species. And why did I limit it to humans? Because like most people I’m aware that litter can be a problem to animals but I’ve no idea how many animals are killed by litter copared to diesel soot and NOX, and not wishing to make a false statement limited my case to one of which the facts are well known, humans.

wiggles
    Free Member

My dog throws a mean punch

pnik

That you can retrieve garmin tracks from live tracking when the device decided to go rogue in the surrey hills. And whatever garmin says i didnt go to africa at 63000kph from the windmill.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Yesterday I learnt the hard lesson that if you keep going out cycling without kit to sort out a puncture, eventually you will get caught out. ~5min walk of shame to get to work, then ~62mins home in the afternoon!

Today I learnt that saddle tilt and fore-aft tweak I did this morning to the Cube felt even more painful that how I’ve been riding it since it arrived, the last few miles home from Hockley were verging on agony for my perineum!

The other lesson I learnt today was make sure you check the wind direction on http://www.wunderground.com/ for your route literally just before setting off. I had it in my head that the wind between Botley and Hockley was coming from the south, rather than the reality being from the north east according to http://www.mywindsock.com ! Consequently, I went out too hard and ran out of gas coming home on the B3344/3335 9-mile straight through road (~26min54secs north and ~26min48secs south). With the tailwind, I should have been considerably quicker heading south, not ~4 seconds!

bearnecessities

My dog throws a mean punch

Boxer?

wiggles
    Free Member

Boxer?

Good one, but no a collie/lab cross that some how equals 25kg of energy, muscle and appetite.

deadkenny
    Free Member

On the tubeless fail. More sealant perhaps, and bit of patience spinning/shaking the wheel to get it to seal if it’s a reasonable hole. Can take a little while. Secondly, get this…

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/panaracer-ust-tubeless-tyre-repair-kit/

Like the anchovy kits, but you can cut off what you need and get a lot more out of one kit. Works great in my experience and saves resorting to tube. All the more important if it’s a rocky ride and highly likely the tube will just pinch anyway.

allthepies
    Free Member

kenny – can that be fitted with the tyre in situ a la anchovy ?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Yes. Works similar, just you get a big patch of rubber you cut into strips as necessary. Thread through needle, apply glue, punch through and draw back into a W shape and trim off. Don’t even need to let the air out of the tyre. Tried it a few times now on my own and friends tyres and works well.

Del

You can put more than one bogey in a gash, so to speak.

nickdavies

That no matter what the topic, no STW thread is safe from spillover bickering from another unrelated thread?

That and the climb out of brough to bradwell edge in the peak is a killer!

MrSmith
    Free Member

That in the midlands/North East/Wales/Northern Ireland more than half of adults have less than £100 in savings 😯
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37504449

martinhutch

From earlier this weekend. Don’t tell another rider that they are going the wrong way down a one-way trail unless you are certain that it is not yourself who is going the wrong way… 😀

mightymule
    Free Member

I learnt that you should not iron your fingers, as it really smarts.

maccruiskeen

a collie/lab cross

Very cross by the sounds of it

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That I’m still pish at committing to doubles…..

leffeboy

That I’m to old to run without hurting myself

jimw
    Free Member

In the past 24hours I learned that I much prefer Harp music by Scarlatti to that by Benjamin Britain or mid 20th century french composers

Cougar

That in the midlands/North East/Wales/Northern Ireland more than half of adults have less than £100 in savings

Today I learned that some people have savings.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Today I learned that some people have savings.

It used to be a measure of something but I don’t know anyone with savings, just debts and then if they need something big they get more debt.

Drac

That my elbow is still ****.

scaled
    Free Member

The other lesson I learnt today was make sure you check the wind direction on http://www.wunderground.com/ for your route literally just before setting off

I phoned my wife 12.5 miles from my destination yesterday planning on getting her to pick me up. I’d been battling rough crosswind for 60 odd miles then full headwind for 15 or so. I bloody hate the fens.

Thankfully she didn’t pick up so I had a chance to MTFU.

What did I learn though? Chesterfield is a dump

chewkw
    Free Member

Carbon steel wok is still the best for cooking. 😛

(after spending so much money on many woks)

Nothing I cook can stick to my wok. Nothing. :mrgreen:

Fried egg is fried egg Not scrambled egg. 😆

jekkyl

that in Ingoldmells near Skegness you can find all kinds of humanity 😯

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I learned (well, confirmed) that NHS surgeons & Intensive Care staff are underpaid.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Everyday's a school day…what have you learnt today?’ is closed to new replies.