Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Ever..Spent more on a component than the frame?
  • z1ppy

[suppose with carbon wheels it might happen a lot..]

Considering a £300 frame and £450 fork (both new), the next frame ‘up’ option are £700/800 & cheaper forks are seemingly pretty rubbish (29er’s)…

tonyg2003

Yep lots of my bikes. Forks are expensive these days!

grum
    Free Member

My forks are almost certainly worth more than my frame.

br
    Free Member

My steel 456 ran full XTR drivetrain, decent fork and Hope Hoops; so, yes.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Yeah, my Cranks on my Pace cost more than the frame, as did the forks. If you like the frame, donw worry about it.

Coyote
    Free Member

My frame cost £90 NOS in 2004. So I guess that the answer is yes. Several times. 8)

sbob
    Free Member

The price label on my old Magura rim brakes was £185, going onto a £350 GT Tequesta, so I’m guessing they were more than the frame value.

Northwind

Sure. Not my current 2 frames mind but often in the past. You don’t need to spend a lot to get a good frame after all but other components tend to need a little investment.

Kuco

Yep in the past, as stated above forks are bloody expensive now days.

z1ppy

posted this, walked away then thought “on one & forks”.. realised my post was a little redundant…

Well at least I won’t be being completely daft…

BoardinBob

My seat post cost more than my frame

Kuco

I had some £600 Fox forks on a 456 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

I got an end of line frame for 150 quid so pretty much everything on the bike costs more than the frame did!

hh45
    Free Member

Fox forks and nice Hope / Crest wheelset on a Soul frame. And the pair of Juicy 7s is close to £470 I recall.

My seat post cost more than my frame

That’s good going!

jambon
    Free Member

As my c456 only cost £300 it’s quite easy I suppose. I think the forks were £350 but should have been £600.

jimthelad
    Free Member

I have Turbine cranks on my Inbred.
    And 2nd hand Wotans cost me the same as my new BFe frame.

mboy
    Free Member

Just buy the Whyte mate…

A MILLION times better than an On One…

But yes, have spent more on forks before than the frame, a few times.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Bought a Genesis SS for £200 (second hand) then spent the same on Exposure Race and Red-Eye lights to go on it!!

MoreCashThanDash

I commute to work on a Kona Dew Hybrid with the same rrp as the Exposure Maxx I use to find my way along the unlit towpaths/sustrans routes on the commute

mrblobby
    Free Member

Come to think of it, I totalled up the spend on a bike build… came to about 2k of which 150 quid was the frame!

shortcut

Easy to do with Fox or DT forks.

alaric

£1069 Rohloff hub on a £399 Pipedream Sirius frame. Brakes cost more than the frame, too, as did the fork…

sambob
    Free Member

Not really, but forks are now worth the same as the frame, groupset cost more than the frame though.

simondbarnes

The rear hub on my fixie cost more than the frame and forks combined (all bought new)

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

My TRP magnesium canti’s cost more than my frame & my Stans/goldtec wheels

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

2003 Rockhopper comp with M785 Groupset and pro II/717’s/revolutions…

So yes 🙂 But remedied that by buying as soul! Now all is as it should be 😛

P20

King wheels on a steel 456

porter_jamie

Yes, I own a 456

messiah
    Free Member

Second hand Mmmbop… many components cost more.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just about everything on my old 456 cost more than the £99 frame.

My road bike cost me £300 s/h, the wheels (inc tyres and cassette) are now about £450rrp.

Hard to say really, I chop and change a lot of kit so most stuff is 2nd hand, but forks probably exceed the frames on most builds at rrp.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Yep forks @ v nearly thrice the price of frame ! then brakes and again wheels basically my frame was only 10% cost of my build..

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think frames are incredibly cheap really – on my BFe the frame is about 15% of the build cost – coil forks were circa £500 vs frame £300, Covert frame was about 20% vs what the build would have cost with new components

spuddle
    Free Member

Yup done it twice, first was a set of Mazz forks on an Orange Crush, and latest Stanton slackline £400, Fox float 36’s £880

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Ever..Spent more on a component than the frame?’ is closed to new replies.