• This topic has 27 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by matts.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • everesting offroad, on an MTB
  • MadBillMcMad

Who has done it & where would be good ?

Often wondered what would be the ideal length of climb & gradient.

I reckon it would need to be reasonably smoothe, a reasonable length (but not too long) & not too steep but steep enough. Just ‘reasonable’.

For my legs I think 10% would be too steep, 5% too shallow, 7.5 – perfect.

ampthill

You’ve lost me. Surely you can’t choose how steep Everest is?

If 10% is to steep then you just need a lower gear?

pigyn
    Free Member

I have been banding this around for a year or so now, ‘everest the golfy’ – where they have EWS trails in the Tweed Valley. Easy but steep enough fire road climb. The stinger is being able to ride 20 odd runs of technical downhills…

mrmo
    Free Member

no, but i have a track lined up for when i hate myself enough to give it a shot.

My target is a roughly 8% for a mile and the surface is reasonably smooth for off road. Steeper IMO would get tiring too quickly and shallower, you will have to ride a LONG!!!!way

MadBillMcMad

Yeah, my thoughts too.

There’s a nice grassy one near me, but I’d need the landowners permission to park up at the bottom.

Just about meets your spec at 7% and 1.4km.

jekkyl

Coombs Dale in the white peak would be ideal, a long steady incline/decline with interesting surroundings while you climb 100s of times.

njee20
    Free Member

I wondered about doing one off-road. Couldn’t really think of a nice climb locally though, agree you want something smooth-ish ideally.

molgrips
    Free Member

What is this? 8,848m in one day?

Junkyard
    Free Member

folk do the rivington mast road

njee20
    Free Member

What is this? 8,848m in one day?

Yep, more specifically on one hill. Can’t be a loop, you must ride up and down the same climb to 8848m.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh ffs. That’s just silly.

8,848m in one ride would be a fun challenge, I reckon I could arrange that down here.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s a mental thing innit.

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s a road though.

It’s a mental thing innit.

Bloody mental if you ask me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why not make it even harder and ride for 8,848 seconds on a turbo?

njee20
    Free Member

2 and a bit hours? That’d be vastly easier surely, even from a mental point of view!

awh
    Free Member

A local guy did it on the road to raise money after the Nepal earthquake and I went along to watch for a bit. The hill’s average gradient was 9% but the hill reaches 20% in places. I think he started about 5am and rode until 10pm. He had to do a few more climbs than anticipated due to inaccuracies in gps resulting in under-measurement of the altitude change making 87 climbs in all. Makes me think it would be an amazing effort everesting offroad!

molgrips
    Free Member

2 and a bit hours? That’d be vastly easier surely, even from a mental point of view!

Whilst listening to some music you don’t like on loop at high volume.

Would it not be of benefit to pick the longest climb you can find just to keep it as interesting as possible? Longest climb I know of that’s more or less continuous is about 700m, so 12 and a half of those should see you right 😯 Last couple of hundred metres of altitude is a carry though.

njee20
    Free Member

I think silence would be worse. But we digress!

doordonot
    Free Member

An Everesting attempt should be off road anyway. There’s not a road going up the side of Everest. Molgrips, if you’ve got a near continuous climb to gain 700 metres, then great. But part of the challenge is to use a local hill and most of us don’t have access to the perfect hill like you describe. There is an Everesting website that lists the rules.

bob_summers

Longest climb I know of that’s more or less continuous is about 700m

Great Dunn Fell?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I can think of better ways of sucking all the enjoyment out of riding a bike….like time trialing.Or unicycling.

martinhutch

Great Dunn Fell?

That’s mainly tarmac isn’t it?

https://www.strava.com/segments/1240570

Cromford Incline on the High Peak Trail. About 55 reps by the looks of it.

Would certainly allow you to enter a zombie-like state while you grind your way into miserable oblivion.

Junkyard
    Free Member

That’s a road though.

Does it lead to a mast 😉

bob_summers

While it’s not exactly difficult to divide one number by another, there’s a calculator into which you just paste the Strava segment and it gives you the pain data: https://everesting.io/

Steeper the better for me, there’s local climb (on-road) which would have it in the bag in a little over 100km and 15 laps although it’s been everested before and iirc the idea is to be the first. Just need to find a similar trail…

wwaswas

There’s a nice grassy one near me

There are no nice grassy climbs. hth.

njee20
    Free Member

There’s not a road going up the side of Everest.

Last time I checked you didn’t decend 8,848m whilst climbing it either, but y’know, details.

Fewer people die doing the bike version, and it’s less controversial.

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t climb 8,848m either doing Everest, you don’t start on the beach 🙂

most of us don’t have access to the perfect hill like you describe

I forgot to mention that climb is 15km long so you’d end up doing about 350km 🙂

matts
    Free Member

Last time I checked you didn’t decend 8,848m whilst climbing it either, but y’know, details.

I believe that most of the people who climb Everest also wish to come back down. 😉

However, most people also don’t ascend from sea level under their own steam. It’s most common to start trekking from Namche Bazaar at 3,440m. And even then, you probably have some helpful animals carrying a lot of your kit. I could imagine that would raise a few eyebrows around your local trails if you turned up with some yaks for your everesting attempt.

It’s all just a bit of, errm, fun. innit.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘everesting offroad, on an MTB’ is closed to new replies.