Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Everesting
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

“It’s always been one climb!”
    But that’s my point. Its hasn’t.
    Yes, the Strava generation have created another version and all that junk but we would attempt, I doubt we finished one, Everest days in the mid 80’s. The whole point was to do the height but avoid repetition, just like any mountain climb.
    I guess like anything nowadays, the quick fix, even for something as tough as this, is the way to go. Of course its hard but not as hard as it should be.
    (Wanders of, bemused, looking for his 531 Raleigh to see if the tubs still have air in them .)

andy8442
    Free Member

I started doing one last year, up and down the Chevin, Otley, Yorkshire. I did about 6 climbs, then was just genuinely bored by it all. I wasn’t going to do it in one go, but decided half killing myself was not why I enjoy cycling.

legend
    Free Member

The guy I mentioned earlier spent nearly 19hrs in the saddle on he same hill, no flat sections getting to each climb. Everesting is also limited to a 24hr period. Just going on a ride with the equivalent climbing just isn’t really going to happen

legend
    Free Member

andy8442 – Member
    I started doing one last year…….. I wasn’t going to do it in one go

So you weren’t everesting then? Confused

Edukator
    Free Member

Everesting is also limited to a 24hr period. Just going on a ride with the equivalent climbing just isn’t really going to happen

Tourmalet – Aspin – Peyresoude – Portillon – Bonne Agua – Canto – can’t be far of (with a tent and minimalist camping gear on the bike).

swanny853

How about reverse everesting? Descend 8800m of proper offroad in a day. That’s pretty much exactly 16 runs of fort william dh (I’ve done 13 and a bit and a day and rubbed off quite a lot of skin in the process), or 11 runs down Black 8… Or, um, about 72 runs of Sheepskull

There was an article in WMB (RIP) back in, ooooh, about 2008, with some people who did that in the Alps. I think I may still have it somewhere (I think it had a chocolate brownie recipe in it)- I can see if I can find it if you’re interested?

mattsccm
    Free Member

I like a chocolate brownie.

redthunder
    Free Member

legend
    Free Member

Tourmalet – Aspin – Peyresoude – Portillon – Bonne Agua – Canto – can’t be far of (with a tent and minimalist camping gear on the bike).

How are you sorting the massive amount of food and drink you’ll need? The one near here cost him 12,000 calories and he lost 8lbs in the 24hrs, and he wasn’t exactly packing extra weight at the start! Carrying extra gear will floor you too

footflaps

It’s a brutal challenge and I’m impressed by people who do it.

+1

tjagain

100+ steps into my flat. thats what 20m ish? 25 years I have lived there and must average between 1 and 2 climbs a day so say 500 climbs a year – thats 500x20x25m = 250000m climbed ie best part of 30 Everests. do I win anything?

greentricky
    Free Member

It’s what you do as practice for joining the High rouleur society isn’t it?
    http://www.highrouleur.cc/

Edukator
    Free Member

Errr I did that route in 24hr, Legend. I left Pau after work and went through Lourdes at about 19:00. I camped between Tourmalet and Aspin and set out again in the morning topping the Canto at about 19:00 and spending the next night in Andorra. Food and drink was no problem, there are shops and bars along the route. The loaded touring bike was at least 8kg heavier than my roadie of the day (so 10% more all up weight). On the roadie I’d have got over the port d’Envalira too within 24hrs. I did that the next morning – along with the Col de Port and Portet D’Aspet, and a long haul home.

legend
    Free Member

Fair enough, did it match/beat the required height?

Edukator
    Free Member

I wasn’t trying to break any records, I was just out for a ride, but a mental add up said “can’t be far off” hence my post. All the climbs are on the web sites that give profiles so if anyone is keen they can add them all up, I’m not keen enough now, though as you’ve poked my curiosity I may later.

My post was to say “it can be done by just going on a ride”. Even if my total is short, the total with the Envalira would definitely be enough, without the camping gear and mudguards that would have been a formality.

Edukator
    Free Member

This thread has reminded me of a guy who rode up and down l’Alpe d’Huez for 24hr climbing it 14 times IIRC (edit: confirmed with Google Eric Lebacher in 2013).

jekkyl

It’s something that interests me. The steeper the climb the less often you’ll have to do it. Whenever I drive up/down Winnats pass I’ve thought that would make a good everesting venue as it very steep, visually interesting and has a grass path at the side for hooning back down clear of vehicles. Anyone fancy joining me one day?!

scotroutes

I’ve just been looking at the climb up to Cairngorm ski-slope from Glenmore. I’d need to do 29 “laps”. The most I’ve done to date is 4 😥

crazy-legs

It’s something that interests me. The steeper the climb the less often you’ll have to do it. Whenever I drive up/down Winnats pass I’ve thought that would make a good everesting venue as it very steep, visually interesting and has a grass path at the side for hooning back down clear of vehicles. Anyone fancy joining me one day?!

Winnats has been done. By the same guy who’s planned this “Everesting Ride” I mentioned back up ^^. Guy called Arne Beswick. Proper hill climb monster.
    The climb is awful – too busy with cars and too steep on the descent to really let go of it and relax. 47 reps I think he did.

richpips did his on Mam Tor/Mam Nick, the road climb the other side coming out of Edale Valley. Think his was 46 reps. Better on the descent but it’s still got some twisty bumpy bits where you need to take a bit of care.

Mine was on The Struggle out of Ambleside, only 22 reps on that. There’s an art to finding the right hill. Too long and shallow (like Cat & Fiddle) and you’d end up having to ride 400+km.
    Too short and you have to do 100+ reps. Too steep and you end up knackered or just crawling up it in silly low gears.

njee20
    Free Member

The steeper the climb the less often you’ll have to do it

No, the more gained the fewer reps. That’s not a function of gradient at all. As CL says I think Winnats would be awful. Too steep for my liking, and too many sheep.

Don’t quite get why people are so scathing. It’s a great accomplishment IMO. Far more demanding than a 24 solo. I’m not sure Edukator’s ride spread over 3 days really counts. That’s like saying Tour Divide counts!

do I win anything?

A slow clap and a 🙄 for being stupid?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Everesting’ is closed to new replies.