Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Everesting
  • molgrips
    Free Member

By my calculations, looking at my Strava segment of a well known steady road climb (89m 6%), I could do it in around 100 ascents, taking around 16 hours of riding. That doesn’t seem so bad……. does it? 😉

weeksy

I can think of better ways to spend the day

legend
    Free Member

I know I guy doing it here this weekend: https://www.strava.com/segments/1170757 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do it on a Hotwalk.

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

In theory, the best hill would be the steepest one you can pedal easily on without detriment to your pedal stroke, at your lower lactate threshold power. And that you could get down quickly and easily.

therag
    Free Member

There’s a guy near me does one every month. Dean ware, crazy fit fool.

oldnpastit

Wouldn’t you need to do it with something to reduce the available oxygen you are breathing by around 20%?

pondo

Give it a go – 16 hours of riding uphill don’t sound much fun to me. Had a crack at TumbleUp4Life a few years ago, managed 8 ascents of the Tumble and that was plenty for a day’s cycling for a plumpton like me. 🙂

robcolliver
    Free Member

We do 7 Everest’s on our way from Banff to Mexico and you get to see loads of fun places on the way.
    OK , it took me 21 days, but what a laugh!
    Best riding holiday ever.
    Until the big one next year….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I did a strava/rapha tour challenge back in 2012 which was 7100 in a week or something, ended up doing hill repeats for about 300m on the Sunday, was dull… nice long hill, decent evelvation and some varying gradient over the course of it to keep it slightly less dull.
    If I had the choice for everesting I’d be looking for a nice mountian ride that covered it all – the Rapha Rising challenges were all from tour days
    from 2012

On 15th July 2012, the Tour de France enters the Pyrenees. The scene of countless historic moments in the race’s history, on the 18th the peloton will tackle the infamous Circle of Death, the fearsome loop that includes the Col d’Aubisque (1,709m), Col du Tourmalet (2,114m), Col d’Aspin

petec
    Free Member

This is a blog-ette of someone everesting the hill next to me.

Looks quite tricky

whitestone
    Free Member

The trick with Everesting seems to be to find a hill that isn’t too steep (otherwise you’ll really struggle later on), isn’t too shallow (you’ll need to ride for much further distance to get the altitude gain) and is reasonably varied in gradient to be able to work different bits of muscle and to mentally split it into sections.

Most hills/Strava segments that get Everested seem to have between 150 & 250 metres of ascent to reduce the number of time you need to climb them. Bigger or longer climbs might mean fewer ascents but increase the likelyhood of getting too cold on the descents.

Then there’s traffic – it wouldn’t be much fun Everesting Winnants Pass or Malham Cove road on a summer weekend.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I could think of more interesting rides than going up and down the same bit of tarmac

Dibbs
    Free Member

A workmate of mine did one last year on Countisbury Hill, I was impressed.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/347146090

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

There’s a guy near me does one every month. Dean ware, crazy fit fool.

Dean is bonkers fair play! Some of his charity rides make my legs ache.

legend
    Free Member

Pawsy_Bear – Member
    I could think of more interesting rides than going up and down the same bit of tarmac

I do think anyone’s ever claimed it’s interesting. Punishing, gruelling, testing, hallucination inducing and possibly rewarding are more like it

FuzzyWuzzy

It’s not something that interests me but I am secretly jealous of the people that have the willpower, motivation and fitness to do it…

twisty

I got as far as checking what existing segments in Singapore this might be possible. There appear to be a few bits that Strava thinks are 30% grade but are actually flat which i guess would make it quite easy. The best one is is a 4km segment with 500m climb but unfortunatly not accessible as it is in the middle of Changi airport runway so i guess somebody was running Strava on a plane.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Everesting’ is closed to new replies.