Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Everest summit or Virgin Galactic for boasting points?
  • globalti
    Free Member

You can suffocate or die of cold on both but Everest is cheaper and certainly more sociable, though more effort and less comfortable. Does that make Everest more impressive when chatting down in the pub?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

dunno but I remember an after dinner speaker at a climbing dinner who had been doing some serious stuff when the money ran out, his mate on the expedition said he would call his boss to see if he could help out, after a bit of a chat Rich B came up with the cash, see got to be some name dropping too

nemesis
    Free Member

I think I’d rather have gone into space (even for just a short while) than get to the top of Everest.

I’d have more admiration for someone who had done the latter than the former though. If things go to plan (which by the time it does commercial flights, I would expect from Virgin Galactic or its competitors) then there’s nothing difficult about it other than getting the money together.

jam-bo

marianas trench. Only three people have been. ever.

cloudnine
    Free Member

The galactic certainly looks warmer and potential for an exhilarating rapid descent

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Even on one of the tourist ascents you actually have to work pretty hard to get to the top of everest. Virgin galactic you just have to be wealthy enough to buy a ticket.

[edit]
    Just in case that wasn’t clear. Of the two Everest gets the bragging rights.

globalti
    Free Member

Is a one-way ticket cheaper for Everest?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Virginia galactic doesn’t really go into space though does it, it just scrapes the boundary of where space begins. It just flies really high and doesn’t get into orbit. It’s just a glorified parabolic flight. Air breathing fighter jets have reached those altitudes before. Also you just sit there and do nothing and float about for a few minutes, whereas with Everest you have to embark on a challenging physical endeavor that not everyone is capable of despite training and where 1 in 10 people die. Virgin Galactic will be safer than sitting on your sofa once it gets fully operational. So for me Everest is by far the most impressive achievement. Virgin galactic doesn’t even come close. Would be a good experience all the same.

globalti
    Free Member

Yebbut…. does the average pub-goer really appreciate how risky it is to get up Everest and back down? Surely the recent VG disaster is much more in the public eye?

Please keep this discussion irrational and flippant.

willard

Nah, walk unsupported to the South Pole. That’s hard core.

Mate of mine did Everest and is now on his way there.

mogrim

Nah, walk unsupported to the South Pole. That’s hard core.
    Mate of mine did Everest and is now on his way there.

In summer? Pfft.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Everest summit or Virgin Galactic for boasting points?’ is closed to new replies.