Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Everest by Canoe on BBC4@10
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

There was a thread on this yesterday but I cant find it.

In 1976 a British expedition made mountaineering history, becoming the first kayakers to descend the Dudh Kosi river that runs off Mount Everest. High in the Himalayas, and at incredible speed, six Olympic-class canoeists battled with white water over rocks, waterfalls and treacherous whirlpools. As they struggled to negotiate a 30-pound canoe over a river with 30mph waterfalls, the threat of capsizing was ever present. Winner of over 25 international awards, this is a story of teamwork, bravery and individual brilliance

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03nh3mz

disben

this one?

hopefully on iplayer afterwards – I’m currently abroad so can’t see it!

fatalbert
    Free Member

Just sky + that one. Hope it’s on iplayer later to download onto my ipad.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jojoA1
    Free Member

I learned to paddle in boats like that! I remember the itchy thighs…
    Been holding my breath a few times so far watching this.

athgray
    Free Member

Great program.

jonba
    Free Member

Old skool. Are we going to get any play boating – can’t beat a pop out or shudder rudder.

matt_outandabout

I haven’t seen this in years. Proper adventure.
    Only recently seen similar level of adventuring in kayaking via the Grand Inga project with mr Fischer and co.
    http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_US/Video/Kayaking-the-Most-Dangerous-Rapids-in-the-World-021243220709755

ratadog

Just stumbled past it, rest of family not interested, and took me right back to my youth. I was doing O levels and looking at medical schools and remember seeing info about Mike Jones when I visited Birmingham medical school, where he had qualified. Remember being gutted when he died a couple of years later.

Also remember Leo Dickenson’s documentaries being highlights of my youth.

cuckoo
    Free Member

Top programme 🙂 Didn’t know anything about it and stumbled on it by accident, glad I did!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Kayaks ‘only’ 4 metres long…

Their gear was shocking compared to today’s stuff. ACE helmets were eventually outlawed even for low-level competition, nevermind pushing the envelope expedition paddling.

athgray
    Free Member

It is interesting to see hiw technology moves on. I like watching 70’s climbing films for this.

ChrisE
    Free Member

one of the guys on it, Mike Hopkinson, was my geography teacher at the time. He turned up at school in the Transit van they had scammed from a Ford dealer and talked to us all loads about it. I also saw the slide show lecture at the time (in the days of slides!)

C

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Everest by Canoe on BBC4@10’ is closed to new replies.