Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ever sold a car at an auction?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

Im looking to sell my car and im wandering if an auction is a good way to get a good price? Presumably a reserve can be set, and how to the fees work? I’ve no idea about selling cars at auctions so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Frodo

Ebay! Done it twice and got a good price both times (one without an MOT!)

Rockhopper
    Free Member

You won’t get a good price, but you’ll get a guaranteed quick sale with no comebacks. If you set a reserve based on what you want for the car then it won’t sell. People use auctions to get rid of cars quickly (car supermarket trade ins etc) or in the case of private sales because there is something up with it.
    The trader buy their stock at auctions so that should tell you how the prices work!

wrightyson
    Free Member

We buy and car will probably be a similar price. I’d check that first. Toik an age selling my Mazda after 12 weeks it went, guy turned up with cash. That was through an eBay trade listing. A mate who’s a dealer sold it for me, he doeant put anything through auction or the autotrader anymore, everything on eBay or his limited (4/5 car) forecourt.

NewRetroTom

I had been wondering about this.
    Need to get rid of our 2006 Peugeot 307sw. It’s probably worth a few hundred quid at best. Currently has a broken spring in the front suspension, which probably isn’t worth fixing (although it is driveable).
    Anyone tried selling a car on ebay with faults like this?

wrightyson
    Free Member

^I’d gumtree that one first ^

superstu
    Free Member

conversely I sold a golf that was effectively scrap and was surprised that I got £1k for it. Wouldn’t have been able to trade it in, and it was a hassle free easy sell.

My experience of we buy any car was horrible, hated it, so for me I would go down the auction route again.

Ebay may be ok but ebay has many faults so again I tend to avoid where possible. But that’s just me trying to avoid any hassle, timewasters etc.

In regards to the auction, think there was a £20 odd booking fee, then a % of the price (6 or 9%)?

trailwagger
    Free Member

I used to work an auctioneers.

You will have to pay fees which could be anything from 10 – 20%. I think most will have free entry, so you only pay fees if it sells.

Prices are below book price. As mentioned before if you want a quick sale and are prepared to accept the price then its a good way to go.

dmorts

[is] an auction is a good way to get a good price?

No.

I sold a car at an auction as I wanted rid of it quickly. It didn’t meet its reserve but they negotiated a price with the highest bidder.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I sold my last car at the local House clearance auction. Did quite well really but fees are high. Ended up with £500 but it sold for £650.
    But it got rid of a scabby Peugeot so the Nightmare of being a French car owner ended.

pondo

Once sold an old and very tired Renault Traffic at auction, went for sixty quid and gotva check for about four pounds thirty six. 🙂 Sold a Punto on Ebay and that was simple enough, just be dead honest.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ever sold a car at an auction?’ is closed to new replies.