• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ever not recovered from a bike theft?
  • MSP

So early in 2014 I decided I wanted to build my dream bike and started saving, by the end of the year I had saved enough to buy the frame I wanted, a s-works enduro 29er. Once I had the frame I committed everything to building it up to just the way I wanted, fox 36 forks, xtr gears, sram x01 cassette (200 for a cassette FFS), LB rims, saint brakes etc.

When I had finished it, it was beautiful, it was fantastic, and somehow despite every financial commitment I had made to buying the bike I was still able to book a holiday with the TP guys in September 2015. I was the worst rider there by a country mile but it still put a smile on my face.

Roll on 2016, this was the year I really put the bike into action, first up spring with basque mtb, great holiday, still the worst rider by a country mile but really enjoyed myself, next up summer with trail addiction, starting to get to grips with this type of riding and that country mile is getting shorter.

Still making small improvements to the bike, finding tyres that suit me, spesh power sadle, renthal 800mm bars. Not cheap improvements but small increments that feel good.

Then down to Valberg with the TP guys again to watch the EWS pros then ride the same trails, but disaster strikes, come down stairs after the first night to find the bikes have been stolen from the hotel lockup.
    TP sorted me out with a loan bike, but it just wasn’t the same, it didn’t feel right and I had no confidence in it.

2nd disaster happened when I got home and discovered that the insurance policy I had (extended skiing insurance to cover the whole year) only covered me for winter ski equipment and not summer sports equipment.

So now it looks like I am going to have to enter a legal battle with the hotel and their insurers to make them responsible for the theft.

And the thing is I don’t think I have the heart for the battle that I may not win, or at least may cost so much to win that it becomes counter productive. And the scrimping and saving to get back to the position I was in just seems too much.

I was looking forward to gearing my life for the next few years to creating incredible experiences on a mountain bike, that was what was stolen from me, not just my bike.

#prayforMSPhesgotfirstworldproblems

AlasdairMc

Does your home insurance cover you for possessions away from home?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Was it made clear to you that the bike was in the lock up at your own risk?

scotroutes

Other folks had their bikes stolen too? Seems like you should club together for any legal action (though I have my doubts you have a case). Alternatively if the other riders claimed on their insurance, did their insurance companies go after the hotels insurers to recover their losses? That might help your case.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I had my Raleigh mustang stolen from me aged 9 in 1989. It was upside down being used as a goalpost whilst we played football. I have never forgotten how it felt to have it stolen and never leave any of my bikes out of sight when they are out of the house.

MSP

The French civil code 1953, states the hotels responsibility (as pointed out by orangespideyman on here). However fighting a legal battle in a foreign court is far from simple.

nealglover
    Free Member

Alternatively if the other riders claimed on their insurance, did their insurance companies go after the hotels insurers to recover their losses? That might help your case.

100%.

If the hotel or their insurers were chased by any other insurer, and paid, then they have effectively admitted liability, which should make your case very easy.

Even if your bike isn’t directly covered by your own home insurance, you may get legal assistance from them to chase the hotel/insurer for payment. Worth a try at least.

bodgy
    Free Member

I still miss my purple Kona Lava Dome, Lucy, and that was the best part of 20 years ago. Literally grieved for a year. 😥

greencat
    Free Member

I’m sorry for your double loss.

My only bike theft involved being jumped on by three guys, being kicked and beaten and threats to drown me in the adjacent canal. And I was rather fond of the bike too. Nothing insured, of course – and for a year, I jumped out of my skin every time I saw a group of three blokes walking along at night. Since then, I’ve become not so attached to any bike. They come into your life for a time – and then go again.

I would also reflect that you can have 70-80% of the fun riding almost any mountain bike. And perhaps this might help, to paraphrase the late Leonard Nimoy:

A mountain bike is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.

Remember the good times, and start flipping through the magazines again…

cchris2lou

I can have a proper look later but in French insurance law there is a maximum the hotel will pay out.
    A friend, and lots more riders, had their bikes stolen in hotel during Haute route in the Alps.
    And it was fairly straightforward.

MSP

Yeah, the responsibility of the hotel is limited to a factor of the overnight price. One of the things I will need to decide, if I go down that path, is if I pursue the tour operator or the hotel, and who’s legal responsibility it is. This is where it gets murky, I didn’t actually pay the hotel anything directly.

If anyone knows a good French solicitor who speaks English, I would be happy to accept recommendations.

cchris2lou

When was it? There must be time limit.

bencooper
    Free Member

I still miss my old pink steel Stumpy. That was a great bike.

tomaso
    Free Member

Being robbed sucks. It is an empty hollow feeling. However, it is only stuff and you will get to ride another day, maybe not on something quite as fine but you will be out and enjoing the ride.

I lost all my bikes a few years ago and wasn’t insured. I bought a cheap Specialized Pitch and slowly got it how I wanted and then moved on.

I still look at every bike locally and if I do see my bikes…

I have the V5 registration documents and keys for 4 motorcycles that were stolen from me. They are all still mine, but I don’t think they will ever turn up.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

MSP didn’t you post about this sometime back? Or is this another incident sorry to hear you are still having to deal with the loss.

I can ask around at work as I work with a lot of French nationals

P-Jay
    Free Member

Had my Spicy stolen in 2012, it was just over a year old.

No insurance, my wife thought it was (he handled the house insurance) but it wasn’t.

It was a shit time, we were getting married a few months later so I was skint and what made it worse was I’d financed it so I could look forward to paying for a thief’s bike for the next 2 years.

I lived without a bike for a few months, but the police were helpless so in the end I sold my car, which was a turning into a bit of a liability anyway for half what I paid for it and bought a hateful old diesel mondeo that smelled for £1000 and a s/h Spicy for £1200. I hated the car and disliked the bike. Took me a few years to remove financially – finally got a new, new bike last year and a nice car after a year of shit brown, shit smelling Mondeo. A little baby meant a decent car was more important than a bike.

It still botheres me now, and it’s made me super paranoid about my bike – it lives in the house despite having a garage and insurance. If I caught someone trying to steal it, I’d break their hands and feet with a hammer.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ever not recovered from a bike theft?’ is closed to new replies.