Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ever need to replace one component and convince yourself you need a new bike?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Evening all,

Is it just me who does this? I need a new pair of forks that are 1 1/8th and for 26 wheels as I’ve bent my old SIDS on my hardtail.

Thought process goes something like this.. if you buy new forks you are wasting money on an old wheel size.

OK.. let’s buy some 650b ones that’ll be OK then if you get a newer frame.

Ah but they would need to be tapered so there’s no point.

Ebay everything off as parts and buy a new bike then.

Damn that got expensive really quick, you haven’t paid off the other new bike yet you know the one that happened in the same way when you needed a new back wheel.

OK let’s look at forks again… and the loop goes on and on?

peanutcracknell
    Free Member

I know this feeling.
    My old Trek fuel ex9 2013 model needed drivetrain, tyres,and a fork and shock service all of which were needed within a few months so rather than spending a few hundred sorting it out I decided I’d get a used ‘endooorow’ bike for 17/1800 ish. That then turned to £2000, then £2200, then £2500, then a £2850 bird aeris. Even after selling the trek I then spent 18 months paying off the difference.
    I loved the aeris so much from a fit/ sizing point of view that my xl but still too short yet way too tall chameleon needed to go. Cue bird with their zero a.m. similar story but I got away with changing just the frame, fork, seatpost, headset, wheels+tyres. Should have bought a complete bike though!

Rorschach
    Free Member

I had a spare seat clamp…..it was rude to let it go to waste.

robz400
    Free Member

Orange 5 was faultless for a year. Then got a puncture and a broken seat post cable in one ride. I now have a stif morf 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

You should see a Dr about that……

ScottTB

I really wanted a dropper post, but it wouldn’t fit my frame.

So I bought a new frame.

But then the dropper post remote wouldn’t fit, due to the front shifter.

So I went 1×11 – new cranks, rear mech, cassette, shifter…

Now I have a frame and drive chain in the shed. I also have some old wheels and cockpit, all I need is some rigid forks and brakes for winter hack bike…

No chilled76, I have no idea what you mean!!!???

shooterman

I’m going through the same process OP! Riding a 26″ wheeled bike and now starting to replace some parts. 26″ stuff getting a bit harder to find and convincing myself I need a new 27.5 bike.

You know it’s only a matter of time!

Klunk
    Free Member

a new rear shock for the wifes bike is so eye wateringly expensive an new bike looks like a **** bargin.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ever need to replace one component and convince yourself you need a new bike?’ is closed to new replies.