• This topic has 84 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by doh.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Ever have one of these conversations at work…..?
  • organic355
    Free Member

In the lift the other morning….

Them: Did you cycle in in THAT weather?
    Me (Smiling): Yep, it was fun, cant beat a cold shower to wake you up in the morning.
    Them (feeling sorry for me): Don’t you have a car?
    Me: Yes, yes I do, but I prefer to cycle.
    Them: (as they get out on the 1st floor clutching a Starbucks cream topped Frappa-corinary-chino and a 1000 calorie pastry )…You are mad!!
    Me: (mashing the button for the 6th* floor and rolling my eyes): Yes I must be, ha ha.

Some people just cant seem to understand I cycle through choice not through necessity.

*yes I should have walked the 6 flights but difficult in cycling shoes

thomthumb
    Free Member

“5 miles? that’s a long way”

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yes, at least 3 times a week.

(except i get changed and have a shower on the first floor, then get the lift up to the 6th where my desk is)

letmetalktomark

Why were you in the lift?

llama

But …. what do you do when it rains?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

“You drove 4 miles? Don’t you have a bicycle?” 🙂

boxfish
    Free Member

“What!? You live 3 miles away but you just cycled 17 miles to work? Did you get lost?”

allthepies
    Free Member

Darn, beat me to it 😉

portlyone

Them: Did you cycle in this?
    *wind howls & hail batters the windows*
    Me: Hell no, I took the bus. I’ll ride in tomorrow.

Pyro

Mine’s usually “Isn’t it a long climb from where you live to here? How much of it do you end up walking?”

A) None of it. It really isn’t that hard, that steep, or that long FFS.

sefton
    Free Member

‘my mates into his bikes too, its worth about 5k, carbon fiber, pick it up with one finger’ 😆

PJM1974
    Free Member

“You spent HOW MUCH on a bicycle?”

Or when getting into the lift with my Wolf Ridge, complete with 160mm forks and fat knobbly tyres:

“You really want a road bike”

Mister-P
    Free Member

Nope, never. But I do work for a bicycle company 😆

organic355
    Free Member

Why were you in the lift?

I dont get it

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Reported poster for not wearing MTB shoes with reassessed cleats on road bike, posting commuter content in MTB forum and taking lift and cycling on road and …….there is nothing wrong with starbucks coffee it is my life blood!

cookeaa

Yep I’ve had these sort of conversations, but then there are other people at workwho are pretty keen on cycling too…

Biggest for me issue is that our office doesn’t have showers and I’ve got a ~14 mile ride to work…

Co-worker – “Don’t you get all sweaty?”
    Me – “Yes a bit if it’s hot but their are way’s to deal with that”
    Co-worker – “But we Don’t have a shower here, don’t you just sit and stink all day?”
    Me – “You tell me, am I stinking up the office? We do have a sink, and water in the toilets and Baby wipes are a modern wonder, deoderant’s are portable also”
    Co-worker – “What really?”
    Me – “you’re saying you avoid excercise only because you can’t jump directly into a shower afterwards, what about when we move offices (been promised for over a year) if we have showers will you be running or cycling in?”
    Co-worker – “I might…”
    Me – “But you won’t… Will you?”
    Co-worker – “Nah probably not”

But not everyone is into these things are they…

I do love it when someone say’s I’m thinking about getting a new bike, what should I get?

Of course I’ll know, I own and ride a bicycle, of course they don’t quiz me about Car or house purchases I’ve got those too…

justatheory
    Free Member

“Why don’t you get a mo-ped or an electric bike?”

These are usually the same people who drive miles to a gym to ride a stationary bicycle. And they think I’m weird!

fenred
    Free Member

I dated a girl at the back of last year that happened to comment “I really dont understand why you have those bikes when you have a car!?”

….Needless to say she went in the bin the next day 😆

passtherizla
    Free Member

there is nothing wrong with starbucks coffee it is my life blood!

wrong! its shoit.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Gasp Luddite!

trail_rat
    Free Member

i was once asked at a clients office how long my ban was….

folks at the office are quite used to me cycling in now – even in the snow.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I think its nice that people engage me in conversation about cycling to work, at least their showing an interest. I don’t think they’re stupid because of it nor do I roll my eyes.

I would never ever ask someone how their car journey was.

patriotpro
    Free Member

“You spent HOW MUCH on a bicycle?”

This is the classic rhetort 😀

My answer is: “no I made it up”, the look on their face is priceless.

jekkyl

yes I’ve had this convo and they do that sorta filling their cheeks with air and then blow it out when I tell them that I usually take the longer route home so I can cycle 20 miles instead of the direct 14 miles.

So you go further on purpose?

*blooooowwwww

ndthornton
    Free Member

Yes – all the time – usually the same words with the same office jockeys as last time. Then I tell them how far and their silly little heads explode meaning we have to have the exact same conversation again next week.

What really annoys me is when it snows, I cycle in to sit in an empty office knowing full well at least 50% of my collegues live less than a mile away.

binners

“Have you come off again?”
    “yes”
    “Oooooooo – that looks nasty. Shall I get the first aid kit?”

Had that one a couple of times. Once from the MD of a company I’d been working for for only a week. My legs were absolutely covered in mud and blood. I’d had a slight mishap taking the fun route into the office 😀

I’m constantly amazed by the reaction I get when I say I’ve cycled 15 miles in. Its like I’ve said I’ve just hopped a marathon. Its only 15 miles FFS! When I tell them I often tag another 5-10 miles on, on the way home, this has actually caused peoples heads to explode. Some people (and they’re not difficult to spot) have effectively lost the use of their legs

servo
    Free Member

“Do you ride London to Brighton?” – “No”

“Do you ride the Tour de France?” – “No”

jekkyl

for most of us cycling 10-15 miles is only an hour or so in the saddle, but 15 miles !!!!! “jesus that’s miles”

Gary_M
    Free Member

If someone told me they took an hour to ride 10-15 miles my response wouldn’t be ‘wow you’re a hero’ 🙂

jimification
    Free Member

Non riding Friend: “What are you up to tomorrow?
    Me: “Riding in the morning
    Non riding Friend: “How far?” (they always want to know how far….always!)
    Me: “About 20 miles, I think“.
    Non riding Friend: “Blimey!!! Is that for charity?

Northwind

We’re “the office where everyone cycles” There’s 16 of us in total, 3 of us cycle to work and only 2 regularly.

My old commute took 15 minutes on the bike, 20-30 by car, so I always got the same 2 chats- “Oh I couldn’t be bothered to cycle to work” and “Traffic was terrible today!”. Was it? I couldn’t be bothered to sit in a car for hours a week in traffic.

hels
    Free Member

Funny isn’t it, civilians.

When I was super fit I would get asked to do 10k charity cycles at work because “you’re a cyclist”. Always thought I sounded like a right bighead when I explained that it didn’t seem fair to take people’s money for what is essentially the start of a warm up. But what can you say ?

LoCo
    Free Member

At the workshop:

Rich: Just rode in? how was it?

Me: alright, (nailed) 15miles 1200 ft climbing.

Rich: Yeah ran 25 miles off road yesterday, couple of KOM’s and 2000Ft climbing.

Me: :evil:, puts coffee on sulks at computer feeling like a fat turd 😉

richmtb

Me standing in my obvious cycling gear – helmet, gloves, the works

Slightly dim female colleague: “Did you cycle in today”
    Me (deadpan): “No”

BlobOnAStick

‘I’m thinking of getting a bike………you know, a decent one, what should I buy?’

**mental sigh, positive face on**

‘That’s sounds good, what sort of riding will you do?’

‘Well, you know. Umm, towpath and around the coutry lanes’

‘OK. Well you’ll probably want a hybrid to be honest. What sort of budget have you got?’

‘Oh. Well I don’t want any old rubbish, I reckon about £100, maybe £150 if it’s really good’

**Thought so, ho hum. Do I laugh in their face or let them down gently?**

“Oh, so you’re after a second hand one then”

“No”

brakes
    Free Member

when I used to drive to work I used to sometimes take the scenic route which was longer but more fun.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Not quite work, but along the same lines…
    Cycling to Newhaven, having just gone through Brighton, stopped in a shop to get supplies.
    Fourbanger: is it much further to Newhaven?
    Shop girl: Are you on your bike? It’s quite a way. (Sounding concerned)
    Fourbanger: yeah. Roughly how far?
    Shop girl: must be a good five miles! Have you come far.
    Fourbanger: a little way (smiling with relief at having knocked off 120 of 125 miles).

LoCo
    Free Member

Singlespeed Banger?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“ooh I don’t cycle: the hill up to the works kills me”

“What hill? Do you mean the gradual incline?”

nbt

Mine might, I’m not that fast 😳

My 6 mile commute along the canal takes me half an hour coming in. Going home take 40 minutes as there’s a flight of 16 locks to go up

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Ever have one of these conversations at work…..?’ is closed to new replies.