Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Ever had to get off and walk because a headwind was so strong?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Today I was very very close to that. At several points I was pretty much track standing, pushing through the pedals as hard as possible and not moving. Wild wind out there today.

wwaswas

not for a head wind – a side wind once – it kept blowing the bike out from underneath me.

ojom
    Free Member

You were on the canal like us then?

glenh
    Free Member

I’ve had to get down and crawl. Does that count?

hels
    Free Member

Yes, in Wellington, on MTB up the top of a very exposed hill. Got blown off the bike, in fact.

Jamie
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8qgjyqibwY[/video]

ampthill

Its been close but no

But once the hail started in Ireland the pain was to much to allow riding

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

That reminds me – I got blown sideways off the bike at the 2nd puffer at 3am.

TBC – This was on the cycle path near crewe toll.

corroded
    Free Member

No, but I’ve been slowed to walking pace. And I’ve whizzed along on the road bike thinking ‘I must be getting fitter’ only to turn round and find myself 40 miles from home and facing a seriously strong headwind. Doh!

Bunnyhop

Yes it happened on Saturday riding around Hayfield in the Peak District.
    I ended up walking down some of my favourite descent (dry too for this time of the year) ‘Far Phoside’, due to being blown too near the edge.

julianwilson
    Free Member

with wind and trail conditions I often have to change down to middle ring and affect a proper gurn in order to pedal downhill on dartmoor.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Once for a few miles, on a tour in France, up a gradual climb on a moor into a hellish head-wind, I think I’d been pushing it and was pretty tired.

lipseal
    Free Member

I don’t need a head wind… 😳

bigjim

I’ve been there and had that weird thing where you can’t breathe at the same time, think its Bernoulli’s principle. I was crossing the Kessock bridge and thought I was going to get blown over the barrier into the traffic.

parkesie
    Free Member

had the peak blown off a helmet and been pelted with conkers in the woods before.

loddrik
    Free Member

At the Marin at the end of the first singletrack section after the old mine, soon as I came out on to the fireroad the strength of the wind took me up in the air and clean off the bike. I’m 16st. Never experienced a gust of wind anything like that before, had no idea it was coming too.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had to pedal down a hill somewhere near Grasmere once. We went up and over a pass and if we stopped, we just stalled there, held up by the wind. I can really remember the name of the valley though.

Parvis
    Free Member

Heading east in the US a few years ago, I encountered quite a few riders heading west into the wind. Just tried not to look too smug as I freewheeled along flat roads.

GRAEMEJONES

A couple of times,and within 100yds of the same place both times.Not long after going through the first gate, on the old broken road, climbing out of Castleton. 🙄

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

The sidewind on a forward quarter was so strong a couple of years ago on a grassy climb in the Dales that we had to walk and by lifting the bars a bit the bike could be floated like a kite.

will
    Free Member

That video is great Jamie!

Got to slow pace today on the way to Ladybower today on the road. Coming back was fun though 🙂 Hit 49mph down from Fox House towards sheffield 😀

tk46hal
    Free Member

I struggled getting home today!
    A very strong wind!

taka
    Free Member

nearly on a motorbike in crosswinds on the way home today

trail_rat
    Free Member

wind tonight was bad on my way home but not the worst ….

raasay rumble – turned round from the peninunsula infront of the house and was blown clean backwards up into wheely and straight over the back by a huge gust of wind just picked me up ! – saw gazeebos and tents head into t firth also ….

trail_rat
    Free Member

wind tonight was bad on my way home but not the worst ….

raasay rumble – turned round from the peninunsula infront of the house and was blown clean backwards up into wheely and straight over the back by a huge gust of wind just picked me up ! – saw gazeebos and tents head into t firth also ….

steve_b77
    Free Member

Had it at Penmachno where the wind was so bad you had to pedal down the final descent.

On the Cat & Fiddle sportive last year after the descent towards Buxton where you head back up over Axe Edge towards Congleton the side wind was so bad I was leaning into to and the front wheel was all over the place, pretty damn scary

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Once, on a ride years ago on the scottish borders, came to the top of a climb and just got hit in the face by the wind, was a flat ridge for a little while, had to walk it, and didn’t need brakes for the following downhill due to the headwind.

Waderider
    Free Member

Once, on the mountain bike heading south towards Tarbert on North Harris. Couldn’t granny ring through the jaws of the pass – tarmac flat or slightly downhill. A van driver stopped and let me throw the bike in the back, otherwise I would have been there until the weather changed 😆

MussEd
    Free Member

It was fierce up on Minch Moor this morning. So probably not the best time for a freehub(not mine) to give up the ghost. One of the toughest days I’ve had on a bike, onl went out cos my newly converted mate is OBSESSED with mtb….

NZCol

Doing a race and the wind pressure on my map board made me do a 1km wheelie as we rode along a gravel road. Downhill, granny gear, 6kmh for 7 hours !

Kunstler

It was rather blustery on Queen’s Drive round Arthurs Seat and across the meadows. Didn’t seem so bad on the canal and had eased a bit by the time I got to Balerno. There was still enough for a bit of an assist up Maiden’s and Harbour Hill. I won’t be deterred.

Diane
    Free Member

🙂

Diane
    Free Member

Yes – once up The Granites. Once on the Broken Road in Castleton

Stu_N

Out one evening a couple of winters ago. Flat canal towpath, just couldn’t get the bike to move forwards into the teeth of the gale and was in serious danger of ending up in the canal.

(Union Canal Towpath at Polwarth for those who know it – the bit between Viewforth and Yeaman Place; high tenements either side and a howling westerly.)

Bez

“had the peak blown off a helmet and been pelted with conkers in the woods before.”

Well, if you will go cottaging.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Riding to Tarbert on our Hebrides tour. Looking forward to the long downhill to Tarbert from Uabhal Beag. Crested the pass and straight into the worst headwind ever – had to pedal all the way down despite heavily loaded bikes.

The first pint in the Harris Hotel didn’t touch the sides!

sambob
    Free Member

Pook fel off going up the broken road on a pootle a while back. The wind appears to increase in speed massively as it goes round mam tor.

AlasdairMc

Had to pedal downhill in the granny ring once in the Pentlands. Heading down the Swoop trail on my Enduro (the ’04 monocoque one), which has the side-on aerodynamics of a sail, it was taking off of its own accord when I was pushing it for a while.

Great ride though.

epicyclo

Another Harris one here.

Rode round Sth Harris. East coast, huge headwind, had to pedal downhill in low gear and struggled to stay on the bike at the crests. Coming back up the west coast barely touched the pedals even for the climbs.

aracer
    Free Member

Like wwaswas, not for a headwind, but for a crosswind. On tarmac. In that Polaris in the Yorkshire Dales a few years ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Ever had to get off and walk because a headwind was so strong?’ is closed to new replies.