Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Ever had a supernatural or ghostly encounter?
  • jamiep
    Free Member

An old friend worked in computer game design and collaborated with researchers investigating/debunking the paranormal. He mapped and recreated The Vaults under Edinburgh old town. There was a correlation in the locations that people had supposedly seen ghosts and odd feelings of uneasiness reportedly felt by those walking around the virtual reality version.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yes, very very hard to explain away. Especially when your paterner was awake in the same room gripping your hand under the covers stock still. That was the first time she’s experienced that as well.

This probably happens for the same reason that Mass Hysteria/Mass Psychogenic Illness occurs.

The brain is pretty good at subconciously deluding itself into thinking that what it senses is actually real, humans are pretty biased in the way that we think conciously as well – we forget that human senses and the human brain are not perfect, that what we sense is not directly the actual outside world but our neurons firing in response to it, neurons that are analogue and biological in nature and thus prone to error and missfires. They are generalized pattern recognition computers that make mistakes just like the computers in the video posted on the previous page. A good example are pilots flying in poor conditions, who think that they are flying at extreme attitudes despite their instruments telling them otherwise.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Oh and just remembered this one my mum experienced. Before my sister and I were born my parents went on holiday to cornwall, they were touring round staying in B&B’s. So they got a room at this place and my mum was awakened in the night by strange noise. She described it as a rhythmic bouncing noise (and no it wasn’t the couple in the next room).

Anyway they went down for breakfast the next morning and the owner asked how they slept, my mum mentioned the noise. The owner went on to explain that the room had been occupied by their son who died when he was a young boy and he used to bounce a ball repeatedly off the wall.

And then there’s the one about my dad seeing a horse and cart on a bridge, he was brought up on Tiree in the 1930’s, with no one sitting on the cart, he got to the bridge but the horse and cart were gone. The next day the owner of that horse & cart was thrown from the cart and killed, the accident happened on that bridge.

theteaboy
    Free Member

A friend of my wife told us a very weird one.

She overheard her ~3 year old daughter talking in her room. She went in and asked who she was talking to and the girl said ‘Grandma’. Grandma had died recently so the friend played along and asked what Grandma had said to the girl.

The girl reported that Grandma had said ‘tell mummy not to worry. I’m holding the baby’.

The friend had had a miscarriage that week and hadn’t yet told the girl.

Lots of potential interpretations but certainly a weird coincidence.

Pigface
    Free Member

When I lived in Caerleon used to walk my dog every morning and we would go through the amphitheatre, about once a week he would see “stuff” he would stare at god knows what, twist his head onto the side like they do when they are trying to understand something. One time I just sat and watched him for about 10 minutes, he was completely engrossed and when I called him he looked really startled. Never behaved like that anywhere else and would only happen about once a week.

I never saw anything or felt anything spooky, weird or ghostly.

metcalt

There are Roman ghosts. IIRC there’s a company (or similar military formation) that marches along one of the roads near York; it confused people because they were only visible from the knees up, but then it was realised the road had been resurfaced a few times since the Romans installed it.

The York Brewery named one of their beers after this tale – Centurions Ghost. Depending on who you talk to in York though the location changes, Stonegate and the Lendal Cellars pub seem to be the most popular locations for the apparition.

cpon
    Free Member

I’m not a believer in all that sort of thing but I did have an ‘experience’ riding home across the moor one night.

On my commute there’s a couple of long stretches across the moor where it’s pitch black, one section is about 5 miles. I was on this stretch on a winters night and felt something touch my shoulder, It wasn’t a physical touch, there was no sound, it gave a me a strange warm, safe feeling.

This is what happens when you believe you’re in a spooky environment. You’re riding your bike and your shoulder felt warm – nothing unusual there. Add in a pitch black moor and now it’s a ghost story.

I’ve heard the York Roman ghost story on the Ghost tour, yet despite hundreds of thousands of people walking along these roads every year nobody has actually seen anything unusual. Just urban myth and stories retold.

Gary_M
    Free Member

This is what happens when you believe you’re in a spooky environment.

It’s not a spooky environment to me though, I’ve ridden across the moor for years, this was well in to winter so mid January, lots of time to get used to riding in the dark again.

I don’t believe in religion, ghosts, etc, and I’m very rational but I know what I felt.

Cougar

Anyway they went down for breakfast the next morning and the owner asked how they slept, my mum mentioned the noise. The owner went on to explain that the room had been occupied by their son who died when he was a young boy and he used to bounce a ball repeatedly off the wall.

Or the night before, the owner was in the empty room bouncing a ball off the wall. Nothing brings in the punters like a good famous ghost story.

Kryton57

Driving along snake pass – I think – years ago, a real fear gripped me so that I was pretty much paralysed, driving in the dark and the rain about 30mph. I noticed a drop to my left with some lights from a town / village and a bridge in front of my going over the road.

When I relieved my experience to some locals the next day, they told me a girl had once committed suicide on that very bridge.

However, years later I discovered a fear of bridges/flying/edges which was confirmed to be acrophobia or fear of falling which brings the same symptoms, so it could have been looking down on the village below that caused the fear reaction.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Worth bearing in mind the vast range of the electromagnetic spectrum which is beyond our regular senses.

Say for example just as fossils are a means of recording history in a physical form, there was some means, either by proliferation of a certain mineral, or certain characteristics of the earth’s magnetic field, that a recording was made, like a Betamax or something. Still the problem of what’s projecting the image, but perhaps it’s something to do with Auras, Chakras and the mysterious raw energy that defines us as conscious living beings.

Thinking about it a bit more, the most ghostly experience I ever had was when I was about 7 or 8 and thought I saw a ghost cat in our bathroom, but just for an instant.

Pales in comparison to some of the shit you see when you’re tripping balls mind. Any Shamans in the house?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’ve had some weird encounters/sightings/experiences but always consider them to be ‘natural’.

A year back we moved across country to an ancient cottage. Have since discovered that the house was part of a once larger rural/maritime religious community. One night I dreamed that I was observing a column of dead people walking along the truncated muddy track at the side of the garden where we parked the car. It was a vivid dream and the people were of all ages and were smiling. It had the appearance and feel of a well-behaved carnival procession, yet I ‘knew’ that they were deceased so the potent weirdness and woke me up to then peer out of the window into the gloom at the end of the garden. I of course saw nothing other than the trees, moonlit clouds and bushes.

A few days later I related this odd dream to the local gardener and his response was ‘Oh, you know that driveway is the old road for the funeral processions (neighbouring cottage was once a chapel) – and there’s a lost graveyard at the end of your garden on the other side of the track?’.

‘No, I didn’t know that’

Definitely the ‘spookiest house’ I’ve ever occupied among a few. Yet also the most peaceful and powerful atmosphere.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Only the once, a very very strange experience. Both me and the girlfriend experienced it.

… it gave a me a strange warm, safe feeling.

Were these the same event?

hora
    Free Member

Ok two ladies have passed away in our house.

One night recently I heard someone moving around downstairs. I thought ‘that’s someone moving stuff’ but I didnt think ‘burgular’ as I’ve heard noises before. Anyway the sound downstairs stops and then clothes started sliding off hangers in mrsh’s wardrobe. Fast forward 10(?) Minutes and a voice clearly said ‘goodnight’.

There have been other things- remote always appearing in a certain place etc.

Do I believe? I don’t know but that experience and other noises can’t be explained. My other half doesn’t like me staying away and shes picked up on stuff before but dismissed the thought.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No. Neither has anyone else.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

One night recently I heard someone moving around downstairs. I thought ‘that’s someone moving stuff’

There is evidence of a correlation between beliefs in the supernatural and spiritual relating to suppressed analytical thinking.

But this acute observation blows that theory out of the water.

Forget CID Hora, ghost busting on really TV is where your skills are at

Cougar

But this acute observation blows that theory out of the water.

It really doesn’t. Read the rest of the thread.

DT78
    Free Member

I used to stay at my grandparents, sometimes with my 2 sisters sometimes without. If I was on my own I’d be in the bigger room, I nearly always had a horrible nightmare about being sucked out of the window into some sort of black hole. Used to terrify me, but I never told anyone or said anything.

I’m not particularly close to my sisters but at a rare christmas when we were all present we were talking about our grandparents house as it was on rightmove for sale (many years after they’d died). Looking through the photos my sisters said how they’d hated staying in that room and had similar nightmares about being dragged out the window, until that point I’d completely forgotten about it.

Proper horrible. Going to not be able to sleep now.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

This is like one big shaggy dog story!

russ295
    Free Member

Not ghostly but when I was a lot younger, about 14 and a bit of a rebel (idiot), sniffing something I shouldn’t have been, I passed out.
    I was with friends and I was out for about 20 seconds but when I come around I’d been on holiday to Disneyland in Florida for 2 weeks. Every detail was in my mind as if it had actually happened. Was pretty weird and freaked me out for a while.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

It really doesn’t. Read the rest of the thread.

I read it as sarcasm?

somafunk

Never had a supernatural nor a ghostly encounter as I’d like to consider myself far too rational to entertain such a notion and I’m quite aware of how the mind can play tricks in certain situations but I have had a number of genuinely indescribable, even spiritual out of body experiences when vapeing DMT. An extremely rewarding experience if you pay attention to set & setting beforehand.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

sat on the sofa with my ex and we were holding hands and playing with each others thumbs and suddenly this whisp of what looked like smoke emanated from our thumbs …. i say ‘did you see that’….she say ‘yes’ we were like.. wtf!

true story.

Also, just after my father was laid to rest, my front tooth started aching, for about a week it ached,… then nothing and nothing like it since. In his last days his front tooth was very loose and weak.

true story.

suck it up, non believers.

stewartc
    Free Member

Just like Loch Ness and UFO sightings, reports of ghost sightings seem to mysteriously drop as more people have access to mobile phones with cameras, however, dogging incidents seem to be on the increase?

alpin
    Free Member

Nothing brings in the punters like a good famous ghost story.

No **** way you would get me booking there if I had heard that….!

My cousin grew up in an old council house. He used to say that he saw a dark figure on the landing. Years later his half sisters said the same.

Why the **** am I evening reading this thread when I’ve got to sleep in an old house on my own….?! 😕

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Just like Loch Ness and UFO sightings, reports of ghost sightings seem to mysteriously drop as more people have access to mobile phones with cameras,

The fact that the Catholic Church has more excorcists in N.America at any time than in the past would suggest not;
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/26/leading-us-exorcists-explain-huge-increase-in-demand-for-the-rit/

Whilst the only ghostly experiences I’ve had are easily explained I don’t think it is helpful to be dismissive of what to some people are very real events. At best they may not like being mocked, at worst they may well really be in need of professional help (I’d suggest a Dr rather than a priest).

mudmonster
    Free Member

A few creepy ones on this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3gqlm4HTSc

dyna-ti

Homeless unit in Nottingham. Old house, top attic room, my attic room in fact. Owned by some Christian organization, i forget which
    2 nights i spent in that and that was that. FK going back, id rather sleep in the shelter in the city centre.
    I saw and felt physical fking movement. Bed covers moved a wee bit, spent the first night after that in another residents room.

I dont know if any of you know Nottingham well, but these were red brick , maybe 3 or 4 storeys and down the bottom of the area they hold the fair. I think that bit is pretty old.

The 2nd night in the house i remember as just being cold room and i sure as 5hit didnt want to sleep there.

antigee

very much a doubter but 2 experiences that opened my mind a little

running in the lakes on a wet winters day, saw someone approaching with a black dog a few metres behind ( runners dog radar engaged ) as I approached the lady stopped and said hello – me lost in my world and her wrapped up I then realised who it was, exchanged some news and I set off again as I passed the marker post where I had seen the dog – I realised it wasn’t there and looked behind – no dog
    the odd thing was the friend I’d met’s dog had died the year before and it had always walked on the fells with her

house i lived in for couple of years when i was about 10 had a horrible scary shadow on the door at the end of the corridor upstairs and the room was horribly cold anyway just usual kids stuff until i was talking to my much younger sister about a boundary dispute with elderly neighbour brought up by her son (he was actually right) anyway I said I’d walk down and see him saying next door to where we once lived – I said you might not remember as were only a toddler – she says oh you mean the house with the old lady upstairs

stevied
    Free Member

The pub I used to work in was supposedly haunted.

The landlord woke up one night and his dead mother-in-law was standing at the end of the bed.
    On night watching TV one of those really thick glass ashtrays exploded into pieces on the table when they mentioned that the landlady’s dad would have enjoyed the program they were watching.

Apparently, dogs can detect signs of the supernatural.

One night in the middle of winter the pub was dead and I was on my own on the bar. 1 customer came in about 10pm and left soon after. Started to have a clear up, waiting for the owners to get back, and their big labrador was just stood, at the top of the stairs to the cellar, barking/growling/up on his haunches. Wouldn’t go down the stairs though.

My late grandad used to work at the Longbridge factory in Birmingham and the security guards’ dog wouldn’t go onto the top floor. Would just bark like crazy at the bottom of the stairs.
    He was driving to visit his dying brother in hospital, one of those “you need to get here now” situations. On his way to the hospital he saw a man in the road but didn’t have time to brake. As he skidded to a stop he didn’t hear anything but said he definitely drove into someone. No signs of anyone in the road, no damage to the car, nothing. Got to the hospital about 10 mins later and wa told his brother had died 10 minutes ago.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I’m a ghost in a château in France.

Years ago my dad dressed me up in my mum’s nightie and did some trick photography of me, whilst I was stood at the top of a spooky turret in a château we were staying in. Sent them the pic (me a translucent 8 year old in white in the tower) and they put the pic in their museum as the resident ghost)…

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Ever had a supernatural or ghostly encounter?’ is closed to new replies.