Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Ever had a supernatural or ghostly encounter?
  • jekkyl

There’s a lane on one of my local loops that whenever I cycle down gives me the heeby jeebies. All the hairs up the back of my neck go up and it feels like it’s gets colder and sometimes I can ‘feel’ another presence just behind me. I can’t explain it but it’s very curious and instead of trying to avoid it I do actively seek it out as ‘the presence’ makes me sorta scared and I cycle faster, bit of laugh int it, like watching a Horror Movie. I’ve even named the strava segment ‘ghost run.’

Anyone got any ghostly experiences they’d like to share?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I can ‘feel’ another presence just behind me. I can’t explain it but it’s very curious and instead of trying to avoid it I do actively seek it out as ‘the presence’ makes me sorta scared and I cycle faster,

That’s Strava, isn’t it?

fasthaggis

Yeah,a few times.
    I think my brain’s just wired a bit different.
    Solinthemind init 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Similar spot in woods near me where I run. Same sensation.

I was running down the path about 15months ago in the early evening dusk and as I approached the “spot” a ghost of a monk came slowly towards me – turned out to be someone I know in a duffle-type coat!! Its not been as scary since 😉

danbo
    Free Member

nope

johndoh
    Free Member

Nope – it’s all rubbish as far as I am concerned.

funkmasterp

Other than my mind playing games with me after watching horror films, no.

avdave2

No and neither has anyone else, strange question really, in the realm of is there a god. 😈

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

No and neither has anyone else, strange question really, in the realm of is there a god.

I bet you get invited to lots of parties you thread killer!

maccruiskeen

jekkyl

I do actively seek it out as ‘the presence’ makes me sorta scared and I cycle faster

I hope I’m not stating the obvious here – but this ‘presence’ wouldn’t be Mr Hyde would it?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I believe myself to be a logical type of person, not a religious type, don’t read horoscopes and don’t believe in ghosts.

However, I do get that spooky sensation when out riding sometimes. A lone night ride through the local woods pour examplay. Almost as if part of me wants to be scared in spite of the logical me knowing its all nonsense.

hypnonewt
    Free Member

I guess so I don’t really believe in Ghosts but I can’t explain this..

I was at my friend’s house and we were watching TV in his room, they live in an old farm house that has been in his family for four generations so it is over 100 years old.

Anyway the door knob starts rattling and turning but then turns back again, as if someone is trying to get in.

I immediately think it is his younger sister who would have been about 6 years old at the time, He thinks the same thing as he says” go and open the door for our Jess.”

So I jump up and go to the door. I grab the door knob which is still turning in my hand and aid it in twisting, pull the door open and there is no one there.

There is nowhere to hide as it was a long hallway and there was not enough time to duck and hide.

My mate must have noticed the terror on my face as I legged it out the door and downstairs because all I heard from him as he leapt up was “wait for me”

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

This thread won’t be the same without chewk inviting people to spend the night in a graveyard.

maccruiskeen

I believe myself to be a logical type of person, not a religious type, don’t read horoscopes and don’t believe in ghosts.

However, I do get that spooky sensation when out riding sometimes.

Its a survival instinct throwback – we’re hardwired to recognise risk from the bare minimum of clues. The shadows in the long grass probably aren’t a tiger but its best to jump to the conclusion that it is a tiger. So have an imagination that can run riot – resulting in all the false alarms from the tiniest misperceived bit of stimulus begin fleshed out as the presence of something or someone. Its there to help us one the rare occasion that we do actually glimpse something real and be really for the threat.

The sense of mystery comes form the half second or so lag that our conscious mind has from actual reality. When anything that surprises us our brain holds back from our conscious perception of that surprise until its got the rest of you’re body ready to respond – so it ups our heart rate, releases adrenaline and so on and then tells us theres a bad guy.

Where we get that spooky, source-less sense of presence from sometimes is when theres some sort of environmental trigger to fire off that fight or flight response which is almost just as quickly revealed to be a false alarm. So theres shadows in the long grass and it could be a tiger – you’re body gears up and your brain gets ready to yell ‘Tiger!’ – but within that half second it becomes apparent that the shadows are just shadows. So you’re brain doesn’t yell ‘Tiger!’ but you’ve got a pounding heart and a puckered sphincter and no real idea why.

Matt-P
    Free Member

Winter night ride at Llandegla a couple of years ago – very misty – lights almost as much of a hindrance as a necessity.

Came down the old black run ahead of my mates and and just after one of the right hand berms saw a floating white shape in the middle of the track. It let out an unnatural guttural chesty noise and I desperately skidded to halt with my heart in my mouth.

Turns out a sheep had got onto the track, but for a moment all sorts of crazy thoughts had been going through my head.

MoreCashThanDash

pour examplay

You are the policeman in Allo Allo and I claim my five pounds francs

jekkyl

Cannock Earlier..

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

There is a section on my regular ride where I have to go on an unlit path between two towns. As I come to the start of the next town they have installed some new streetlights. The angle of the lights as you approach them means your shadow catches up with you just as you pass them which when the nights start drawing means “I SHIT MYSELF!! as I think someone is just behind me.

There are no ghosts – just your instincts fooling you. You fool!

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

One of the houses where I grew up was a strange mix of a c 16th century cob (mud, straw, cowshit etc) house and a newer 19th century stone extension. The stone bit always had a funny vibe~ not hostile, but nonetheless it got the senses tingling.

I never heard it myself, but my folks explained how often they’d hear mysterious voices in the middle of the night (bear in mind our house was about 1/4 mile from the next door neighbour and there was no-one about at night.)

Easy to disregard, but the people who moved in after brought it up in conversation as well.

Not sure what to make of it, but we’ve definitely got senses beyond the 5 taught in school.

giant_scum
    Free Member

What’s this 18 posts in and no mention of a phantom poo!

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I convinced myself I was the White Lady of Long Hall whilst walking home from a friend’s late one night after an odd mug of tea. Have you every tried running away from yourself in total absolute fear?

Cougar

Regular readers will know, I have little truck with the supernatural.

Up in a holiday cottage near Dumfries, in the middle of sod all. We’d just watched the Sherlock “Hound of the Baskervilles” story on telly, an eerie tale of a mysterious dog haunting the area / mind controlling drugs. Popped outside onto the terrace afterwards for a bit of moonlit fresh air and the neighbour’s dog, a jet black thing the size of a Great Dane, moseyed on through. I fair papped myself, I have little shame in admitting.

Drac

Not sure what to make of it, but we’ve definitely got senses beyond the 5 taught in school.

That’s because there are hence why you don’t fall over when standing up.

thewanderer
    Free Member

I always liked the thought experiment that says the ancient Egyptians had the tools to build a flying machine but not the knowledge. The physics and engineering existed but they would have thought it was supernatural.

Current thought in physics indicates time is not linear and there are a multitude of dimensions. I reckon we’re just like those Egyptians, there’s something going on with ghostly encounters we just don’t have the knowledge to understand it.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Your brain is a pattern recognition tool, you can see a wide gamut of green than any other colour, why? Because sunconciously your brain is continually looking for threats in the environment, threats that would have once moved against a heavily foliated background. When you live in an environment that essentially lacks normal levels of threat, that mechanism becomes deranged and you start looking for threats in places where it is not.

Essentially, all of you that see ghosts haven’t had enough wild animals attack you or grenades thrown in your direction. 😀 You’d soon stop seeing ghosts and go off on doors banging and fireworks.

maccruiskeen

Essentially, all of you that see ghosts haven’t had enough wild animals attack you or grenades thrown in your direction. You’d soon stop seeing ghosts and go off on doors banging and fireworks.

Computers can have the same over-eagerness to ‘recognise’ things in randomness and pattern

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyxSerkkP4o&list=PLK_T0E-qyXVdeazUtJh8UygBao3aPx1bw&index=3[/video]

beefheart
    Free Member

I was driving along a remote mountain road recently in thick mist, miles from anywhere and hadn’t seen another soul for ages.
    Up ahead of me, I could make out the figure of an unnaturally large man in robes standing by the side of the road, glowing in my headlights!
    I’m usually quite rational and don’t believe in ghosts, but the adrenaline kicked in and I was crapping myself as I got closer.
    When I drew level with it, I realised it was the silhouette of a white horse’s arse.

smell_it
    Free Member

I think the late Jimmy Saville fingered my bumhole, I had some midweek boozeand a curry, dreamt about shell suits and had some serious ring discomfort in the morning 😯

yunki
    Free Member

watch out smell_it, coulda been worse 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6KMO_BbInk[/video]

user-removed
    Free Member

There’s a point on my local loop night ride when you either enter the woods or branch off and cycle down the edge of a field. I often go down the field. There’s a quarry to the right of the woodland path where men died in the quest for magnesium and in recent history.

hora
    Free Member

Yes, very very hard to explain away. Especially when your paterner was awake in the same room gripping your hand under the covers stock still. That was the first time she’s experienced that as well.

As for ‘why aren’t there Roman ghosts’? Who knows. Maybe things happen fairly often but it’s feint, slight, low noise, and just ‘tricks of light’ not blatantly obvious. I’ll happily ride in the pitch black alone, in fact tomorrow night I am.

derek_starship
    Free Member

user-removed

Quest for Magnesium – great name for a band

Pook

We often leave you in the dark, riding alone Hora.

yunki
    Free Member

the mind’s a very powerful thing innit

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

There are Roman ghosts. IIRC there’s a company (or similar military formation) that marches along one of the roads near York; it confused people because they were only visible from the knees up, but then it was realised the road had been resurfaced a few times since the Romans installed it.

Mackem

Nobody has,ever, and never will.

johnx2
    Free Member

dunno. I’ve had a few super natural encounters.
    hth

jekkyl

lol@ smell_it
    are you allowed out in public with that mind?

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Only the once, a very very strange experience. Both me and the girlfriend experienced it.

Prior to that i was a bit skeptical, but now not so much.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m not a believer in all that sort of thing but I did have an ‘experience’ riding home across the moor one night.

On my commute there’s a couple of long stretches across the moor where it’s pitch black, one section is about 5 miles. I was on this stretch on a winters night and felt something touch my shoulder, It wasn’t a physical touch, there was no sound, it gave a me a strange warm, safe feeling.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Ever had a supernatural or ghostly encounter?’ is closed to new replies.