Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Ever felt you're ploughing a furrow alone in a big field….?
  • globalti
    Free Member

…and everybody else has naffed off to the pub and left you?

I turned 56 yesterday and it was the most joyless birthday I’ve ever had. My life feels empty at the moment, my wife dislikes intimacy, she won’t go anywhere that involves culture or mental effort, my teenage son is of course a joy to me but he doesn’t want to do anything other than play on his laptop and text his pals. I have no hobbies or interests, work is stressing the hell out of me, I’m royally hacked off and can’t see any way out of the rut. The only pleasure I have is cycling once or twice a week, even my best mate and drinking buddy has moved to Leeds so my regular Thursday night pint and a good moan have come to an end.

Tell me this is normal for a bloke at the end of middle age!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I certainly hope it’s not normal. Not sure what advice to give. No offence but s typical of your post-ride chat?

DezB
    Free Member

Sounds normal to me 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Organise rides with randoms off here – thats what I do fairly regularly. Some times you end up making real friends, sometimes you just go out for a spin with some oddballs.

alfabus
    Free Member

find a local mountain bike club and get yourself some new drinking and riding mates.

oh, and MTFU.

Dave

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Be happy – you’ve put this total despair off for 27 years longer than I have!

anagallis_arvensis

sounds a bit like me only I’m younger and cannot even ride a bike!!

globalti
    Free Member

Jesus, I feel better already, thanks!

weeksy

No.

A mate of mine was told a couple of days ago he has <12months to live with terminal cancer…

My life is a **** breeze compared to his.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

, work is stressing the hell out of me, I’m royally hacked off and can’t see any way out of the rut

there is your answer – take whatever steps you need to to stop work from stressing you out. I guess thats the source of the rest of the issues. stress is so damaging and its insidious in its effects

wrecker
    Free Member

This is not quite a MTFU, but sometimes you need to force change.
    Enthusiasm is infectious.

brakes
    Free Member

you clearly need a new bike.
    at the end of the day, your bike will always be there with unconditional hugs.
    the more bikes you have, the more hugs you get!

boxfish
    Free Member

You’re a long time dead. Find something that you enjoy doing, and do it.

wrecker
    Free Member

brakes, if you ever go into politics let me know.
    I’ll vote for you. I’ll even deliver leaflets.

alex222
    Free Member

Kill yourself? That would end all of your an subsequently our collective suffering.

ton

Teej is right…….organise a monthly ride with folk off here.
    we are sociable animal us humans….we love meeting likeminded people and talking boolax.
    and who knows you may even like it.

wwaswas

Kill yourself? That would end all of your an subsequently our collective suffering.

See, just when you thought things couldn’t get any more miserable a complete stranger comes along and gives you a metaphorical knee in the gonads.

mrdestructo

This forum needs a ride forum for definite. It surely has to be one of the reasons it exists.

woody2000

I have no hobbies or interests

What, so you just randomly hang around MTB forums and you don’t even ride? 😀

Sounds to me like you need a change. I think you need to open up a dialogue with the mrs though, that sounds like a pretty crap situation. Relate maybe?

globalti
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions; I belong to a local mountain bike club and sometimes go for road rides with people from Cycle Chat, which is always entertaining.

Markie
    Free Member

Have you (and your wife) thought of trying relationship (or sex) counselling with Relate? (Edit: as suggested by Woody above!)

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

56,the end of middle-age, never thought of it like that.’ang on—-56-that’s me!
    So what am I now-I can’t be old can I?

alex222
    Free Member

See, just when you thought things couldn’t get any more miserable a complete stranger comes along and gives you a metaphorical knee in the gonads.

I’m just telling him what he really wants to hear.

globalti
    Free Member

Yes, but I don’t think Relate would be able to do anything about her neuroses.

Gonna be barred by the work server at 1.30, not back until after 5.30 so thanks again for suggestions….

wwaswas

I’m just telling him what he really wants to hear.

and you’d stand at the bottom of the multi-storey shouting “Jump!” at the bloke stood at the top?

(not suggesting that the OP is in this position)

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I turned 21 yesterday sat at home alone…

😯

ransos
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s age-related necessarily – I felt like that one birthday and I was in my mid 20s at the time. But as others have said, whilst your situation may not be of your own making, you’re the only one who can change it. Organising bike rides with new people and marriage counselling sound like good suggestions to me.

Gunz
    Free Member

Sorry to hear your woes but the very fact that you enjoy riding puts you well ahead of about 95% of the population in the achieving and satisfaction stakes in my book.

ski
    Free Member

mrdestructo – Member

This forum needs a ride forum for definite. It surely has to be one of the reasons it exists.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ton – Member

Teej is right…….organise a monthly ride with folk off here.
    we are sociable animal us humans….we love meeting likeminded people and talking boolax.
    and who knows you may even like it.

You could end up with oddities like this tho :-0

[/url] ton druidh2 by TandemJeremy, on Flickr[/img]

wwaswas

blue handlebar tape and clashing 😯 blue gloves 😯

that is odd.

benslow
    Free Member

mrdestructo – Member

Good idea them two …..

🙂

alex222
    Free Member

and you’d stand at the bottom of the multi-storey shouting “Jump!” at the bloke stood at the top?

I don’t think that a man threatening to jump of a building is quite the same as a man bemoaning his wife and child now is it?

scud
    Free Member

Where abouts do you live OP?

Lets get a ride organised, with minimum requirement of at least 2 pints and a bag of chips following it…

wombat

scud – Member
    Where abouts do you live OP?

Lets get a ride organised, with minimum requirement of at least 2 pints and a bag of chips following it…

+1

woody2000

He’s in the Ribble Valley somewhere.

GW
    Free Member

Fatbike = sorted

HTH

wrecker
    Free Member

There’s always another way…….

zippykona

I have a Mr Morrisey on the phone who would like to write some songs with you.
    “so you go for a ride on your own,the pub on your own,you go home and you cry and you want to die”.
    Sometimes I love a solo ride. Try to end up on epsom downs for a sunset, break out the iPod, Great Gig In The Sky and the worlds alright by me.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Ever felt you’re ploughing a furrow alone in a big field….?

All the time, and I’ve got 20 years on you (not that it makes any difference) My mate buggered of to OZ, each birthday feels less and less special,I find it really hard to make new friends, I feel like I’m getting grumpier and less tolerant by the day. My wife is great but I’d be lieing if there weren’t days I could happily bugger off and leave her to her own devices. I’m even known at work for being a ranter and a moaner…….sorry, i’m not sure where I’m going with this.

oh yeah, the bike, the bike is like a garage based beacon of hope, I’ve been out 3 times this week and every time has been a delight (even todays muddy escapade where it felt like I had on slicks) Also I’m taking a fresh interest in skateboarding and may take the plunge at some point (hopefully not literally)

I know this will sound harsh, but do you maybe need to re-evaluate your marriage, maybe a break is what you (and I mean you) need, sometimes you have to be selfish for your own health.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Ever felt you're ploughing a furrow alone in a big field….?’ is closed to new replies.