• This topic has 35 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by aidso.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Ever changed jobs because you need a change of scenary and colleagues?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

Strange question but have you ever changed out of a job that’s absolutely fine for a similar one for a change of scenery?

I’ve been at my current place 5 years now and a similar job has come up that is only 15 minutes from home (current car/bike commute is about 45mins across town). It’s in a slightly tougher environment but a slightly easier role for the same cash (prob work out same stress and hours).

I’m not disgruntled or annoyed at work or anything but feel like I don’t want to have spent my life here.

I’ve gone far enough up my career ladder that I don’t want to progress any further and the thought of being here for another 25 years scares me.

Anyone done similar and had any regrets?

ton

twice, and one move was for less cash. enjoyed both jobs, but just got a bit bored with em both.
    I am at the same stage now. been here 17 years. ready to call it a day, I wont be looking for another job.

IHN

A change is as good as a rest, as they say.

And don’t underestimate what a difference going from a 45min to a 15min commute will make. I’ve fairly recently done exactly that and it’s amazing, I have so much more free time for leisurely breakfasts and doing stuff in the evening.

jekkyl

if you get a 2nd interview ask to spend a half day with someone doing the same role to see if you like it?

DezB
    Free Member

And don’t underestimate what a difference going from a 45min to a 15min commute will make.

Definitely this!

zippykona

I’ve changed jobs just because they listen to a better radio station.

chilled76
    Free Member

Thanks Jekkyl, in my profession it’s a whole day interview with a yes/no from both sides at the end of the day so not possible.

Cheers for input so far folks, inteagued by the commute enthusiasm coming out!

orangespyderman

Yep. No regrets. Did it because I was stuck in a routine, albeit a good one. Was doing a good job, well respected at the place I worked, and the lack of a real need to make the jump got me quite a nice signing on package at the competitor as I held out in the negotiation a bit longer than I think they thought I would.

ton

re the commute, I have also never taken a job that I am unable to cycle to.

13thfloormonk

Ha, every second week I consider it, mostly from a ‘skeletons in the closet’ point of view rather than change of scenery point of view. Happily after 8 years those skeletons have never really amounted to much so I think I’m just a worrier.

Re: changing for a shorter commute, how would you approach that interview, would you be honest or would you try and pretend there was another reason for the move?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, and even gone to different countries for this reason. Can’t any more though. ****ers.

chilled76
    Free Member

I’ve thought about this and the slight change of role is also a pulling point for me.

I would mention the commute but then talk about the role, the commute being helpful as I’ve got a young child about to start nursery.

IHN

changing for a shorter commute, how would you approach that interview, would you be honest or would you try and pretend there was another reason for the move?

There’s nothing wrong saying in the interview “I’m not unhappy where I am, but I’m at that point where I’d relish a fresh challenge and, if I’m honest, the reduced commute would obviously be a bonus”.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

If your looking to change then I would suggest everything is not fine. Bored, shorter commute, change of radio station, stuck in a routine all reasons why everything is not fine.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Will save you an hour travelling every day.. Saves about 8 days of traveling every year. 8 days that you never get back.

tuboflard

I’m just about to move jobs after nearly 17 years with the same company. Basically the same job (slightly different job title but amounts to the same responsibility), but crucially the new job will be within 20 minutes of home and pretty much guaranteed to be there every day. Current job requires national travel as far as Middlesbrough to Plymouth, Swansea and London, with me living in Sheffield. Can’t wait; don’t underestimate the small things like certainty of being able to finish on time or know you’ll be home every night at a given time, especially as for me, I’ve never had that in my career to date.

VanHalen

I did just this this summer. Bloody fantastic. Less time tied to work.

MoreCashThanDash

Yes. Was in my last role 10 years. Could do it backwards, was very good at it, but no way to go professionally or personally. Same job, day in day out, with the same (mostly great) group of people.

Chance came to move to a totally different division, different work, different areas, different people. Appalling training and support led to a bit of a breakdown, but that aside, glad I had the balls to try it at 45 years of age.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, that’s why I’m a contractor now.
    I’m just in the process of doing exactly that.

jairaj

yep similar situation and feelings to you. Been in my current place for 9.5 years it was my first job out of uni. Everything is OK I’ve just kinda lost motivation and excitement for it. I’m thinking a change of scenery might rejuvenate me.

As I said I can’t really complain so happy enough just casually surfing the market and waiting for a really good opportunity rather than just taking the first thing that comes along.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m 7 years in with my first job after uni.

Things are going south with the company and I’m not sure I want to be on the boat when it sinks.

I’m thinking of moving on just to get away from it for a change of scene…….After being mandatory transfered to west africa……

daviek

Just applied for one today. I’ve been here for just over 6 years, lads here are great and we have a good laugh but the company we contract to is a nightmare.

Grass isn’t always greener on the other side but you’ll never know until you try

badnewz
    Free Member

Been with current organisation three years.

Started off as freelance/part-time contract, then moved onto a full-time contract.

Thinking of trying to go back to freelance/part-time with the same organisation after March as I’m only really happy when working part-time. My weight has ballooned and I can’t remember the last time I got out on the bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s the danger of redundancy in your line of work?

Longer service = higher payout usually.

chilled76
    Free Member

No chance of redundancy ever.

chestrockwell

I did very similar to you. I’m a fireman and moved to a different watch on the same station for no other reason than i needed a change. Hadn’t fallen out with anyone and still miss some of the old gang 6 years later but some underlying differences between others made the atmosphere poor. Great decision and wouldn’t hesitate to do the same again.

orangeorange
    Free Member

Just approaching 18 years in same role with ever diminishing staff levels but not workload, the remaining staff are broken by the drudgery of it all and I have my 3rd redundancy consultation on Friday, which I”m genuinely looking forward to.I have no job to step straight in to but am excited to be out of my comfort zone and try something new.Managing a satellite branch working 55 hours per week isnt something I will remember fondly TBH

Marin
    Free Member

Less commute way better. Some of my work sees me home at 5. Some sees me home at 3:40. Sit on bench in garden with brew, nicer dinner, have energy to do stuff in evening. More sleep in morning. Win win win.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I don’t like staying somewhere too long. Last place 4 years, this place 1.5 year and getting itchy feet. Thing that is stopping me is the short commute I have 15 drive, 35 cycle.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Where I’ve left of my own accord it’s been down to boredom or lack of progressing with skills (as a software developer. More interested in the skills and keeping interested in the job than climbing ladders). That and money.

Yet the companies themselves were nice places.

I’ve generally got a 3 year tolerance for jobs. Same old thing for too long just gets tedious even if at first it’s quite enjoyable.

Anyway, contracting for some time now and change is just part of the job. Most of it is down to the companies and contracts, though my contracts tend to end up longer term rolling contracts even if they start out as “we only need you for a few months”. Company changes or finances usually bring it to an end, then just move on to the next. Thankfully I don’t go through redundancy process any more. Out one door, in the next (or in my case I take a long holiday before the next 😀 ).

Current situation is more interesting as it’s half work from home, and I’m trying to push my business to be far more freelance remote working rather than taking up a desk in someone’s office (thus saving them space and money and saving me a commute). Pop in for meetings, discussions etc.

badnewz
    Free Member

Current situation is more interesting as it’s half work from home, and I’m trying to push my business to be far more freelance remote working rather than taking up a desk in someone’s office (thus saving them space and money and saving me a commute). Pop in for meetings, discussions etc.

A friend of mine is a freelance software developer who works 6 months in UK, and 6 months by a beach in Costa Rica. Now there’s a change of scenery!

metalheart
    Free Member

Colleague sent me a link for a similar job further north.

Seriously considering applying for change of scenery. Literally.

Plus, nowhere to go where I am, taken on additional duties I really didn’t have to and getting a bit fed up with the intransigence I’m having to face as a result…. Meh, I’ve already put feelers out for references 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

No chance of redundancy ever.

Teacher, then?

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Thinking about moving jobs right now as we keep getting told “our breaks are being watched” while nothing is said to the guy sitting next to me sleeping

firestarter
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve moved stations a few times for a change of scenery

aidso
    Free Member

I got offered the current job at the right time and took it mainly because it was way better money, better role and would finally allow me to buy my first house after several years trying and not being able to afford it. Its a steep learning curve with great opportunities, but the location sucks in comparison to everything. Literally in the middle of no where and I have to drive everywhere. Definitely don’t underestimate the joys of a short commute and opportunities at lunch time like being able to walk into the city center shopping or banking. But I dont see it as a long term stay…

Hardest part about leaving last job of 10 years, is leaving mates behind. I’m too far away now at lunch to even grab a sandwich and just meet them every few weeks after work for a drink.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Ever changed jobs because you need a change of scenary and colleagues?’ is closed to new replies.