Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Ever bought a new bike and it just doesnt feel & fit right :(
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Recently bought a new road bike and despite checking the sizing and geometry etc, it just doesnt feel right compared to my old faithful road bike ?
    only done a 100 miles or so and really cant get on with it, just feels wrong ?
    Its decision time to sell it or try and get on with it !

RustySpanner

Have you got a tape measure handy?

If you can change the contact points so they’re in the same places as on the old bike, it’ll give you a good starting point to work out exactly what you don’t like about it.

Have you spoke to the shop?
    I bet they’d be happy to try and help.

And yes, an Orange Clockwork.
    I fell for the hype, basically and didn’t trust my judgement over other’s opinions.
    Silly, expensive mistake, but I was young.
    🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above. If the test ride and bike fit didn’t sort it out when you bought it, that is………

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup.
    A 2009 Heckler.
    Tried everything, built it to a dream spec, tried, and tried to like it..
    Hated it.

dknwhy

Yep. A Viner road bike and a Boardman full suss. Sometimes things just aren’t right.

gordonb
    Free Member

Bought a 2011 heckler, after riding my patriot 66. Hated it from the start.

Bought a 5 frame, swapped the parts and happy days immediately!!!

renton
    Free Member

ERM … Yes on more than one occasion :mrgreen:

Daffy

Yup my recent Singular Puffin, something just felt wrong, like I was on it, not in it. I tried bars, stems, saddles and seatposts, it always felt just on the wrong side of right.

Kuco

Yes an Orange P7. Kept it for about a month then sripped it and sold the frame.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

renton – Member
    ERM … Yes on more than one occasion

psycorp
    Free Member

Yup.

Ragley TD-1. Couldn’t stay on the bloody thing for some reason.

A 2006 Specialized Enduro. As someone put above I always felt like I was perched on it rather than riding it.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Daffy – Member
    Yup my recent Singular Puffin, something just felt wrong, like I was on it, not in it. I tried bars, stems, saddles and seatposts, it always felt just on the wrong side of right.

Yep exactly that, im on it not in it !
    its only a few mm shorter in the top tube which i thought would help with being older and fatter but no, not at all 🙁
    ive tried stems , bars , shoving my saddle back a bit more .. just not working for me !
    may end up stripping it as the bits are ultegra etc and changing frames

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Yep:
    Carerra something cheap – BB too low
    Specialized Sirrus – too upright and BB too low
    Charge Filter – too upright and BB too low

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Have you got a tape measure handy?

If you can change the contact points so they’re in the same places as on the old bike.

Eliminate the variables. You should be able to get the saddle/bar/pedals in the same relative positions as your old bike (including bar width) and fit the same saddle and tyres. If you do that and it still doesn’t feel right then you’ve ruled out size and should be able to narrow down what it is you don’t like eg. slow or heavy steering.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Yes!

Have you ever thought that you’re only suited to mtbs as I came to that conclusion.
    Maybe it has something to do with the fact I don’t have the physic of a jockey that I don’t gel with road bikes.

But boy are they friggin boring/pointless to ride unless of course you’re competing for big bucks as per what armstrong does oooopps DID! (Chuckles)

njee20
    Free Member

FWIW I built a new road bike last year, and it isn’t as comfy as my old one, but it’s down to things that you wouldn’t necessarily check – STI hoods are longer than the old ones, as is the reach on the bars. But the drops are shallower. On paper it’s the near as damn it the same, but in reality it feels longer on the hoods and shorter on the drops!

Tape measure/geometry chart only tells you half the story! I also know that I’ll get used to it!

brooess
    Free Member

100 miles isn’t a lot of riding so you may get used to it but I do find I get a strong intuitive idea very early o about whether a bike feels right or not.

Road bike feel matters in particular as you tend to stay in the position for hours on end.

A few considerations you might want to play around with:
    1. Saddle position – fore and aft
    2. Position of the brake levers on the bar – forward and back and even in and out
    3. Stem height
    4. Stem length
    5. Stem rise/drop
    6. Bars – some drops have more depth (up and down) and reach forward than others. There’s also bar rotation

I recently decided my 120mm Thomson Road Stem was too long despite having had it for 6 years, tried a 110mm Cinelli but the angle was too high, then a 120mm Cinelli which felt still too high and ended up with a 110mm Thomson – a right palaver if you’re a bit picky like I am (!) but it shows how much tiny adjustments can make on a road bike.

Worth paying for a bike fit IMO if you’ve not had one before. They can save you a fortune on faffing about with new stems and bars or physio bills

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Never, I can bullshit myself real good when it comes to new shiney shiney

thomthumb
    Free Member

salsa vaya. spent a lot of money on stems and bars.

eventually got the head tube (yep the frame) cut down by 25 mm.

fits much better.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Worth paying for a bike fit IMO if you’ve not had one before

Good bike shops do it as a part of the service when you buy the bike.

chilled76
    Free Member

Yep, Turner 5 spot a few years back, went for a medium, it was too small. I realised the large would have been too big.

Recently done this with a Trek Emonda SL
    I’ve gone for a large, it’s too long but I can’t get the seat high enough.

freeagent
    Free Member

I still can’t decide if I like the Arkose I bought at Christmas, or whether I should have gone with my first instincts and bought a giant Defy Disc.

I was lured in by the 105 Hydros – and have now decided I hate the lever shape…

tomhoward

Specialized SX trail, bought on the promise that it combined a DH and trail bike in one.

Not a lie, it had the weight of a DH bike with the steep angles of a trail bike….

Susie
    Free Member

Yes, a Santa Cruz Tallboy. I’ve had it for over 2 years, but only done 1200 miles on it. I have a Niner Air 9, which I love, but was a bit harsh when I took it to Wales, so decided to get something with some rear suspension. I used to own a Superlight, which I loved, so thought another Santa Cruz would be a good choice, but it’s never felt right. I enjoy riding it downhill, but hate it anywhere else. Have decided to put it on the classifieds or Ebay.

nickdavies

Took me a good few hundred miles and a 2nd bike fit to gel with my road bike. Keep at it, get a bike shop to look at your position.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Always bought bikes second-hand and speculatively. Whilst I’m sure a nnew bike + bike fit from a good shop is a lovely experience, I simply don’t have the money available to pay the premium for it.

Always been lucky and either liked or learned to like what I ended up with.

Only one I absolutely hated from the first pedal stroke was a Cube AMS Pro full sus 29er.

Completely failed the “round the block” test and put it up for sale again a week later.

philjunior
    Free Member

You’re always going to need to fiddle and fine tune particularly on a road bike. Luckily you also have more room to adjust things like stem length…

scruff9252

Yup.

My pompetamine just felt odd when I got it.

Set it up the same measurements as my road bike and still didn’t feel quite right.

Ditched the charge spoon saddle, replaced it with a spa Nidd. Also put on a tiny 70mm stem and BAM! Now a super comfy all day pootling bike – exactly as I was aiming for…

mlke
    Free Member

I think it’s really hard to judge a bike from even a few rides. I’ve read up on/test ridden/borrowed bikes before buying and still it’s taken 3 months with most of my bikes to know – this is perfect or this is Sh!te.

taxi25
    Free Member

No never, every bike that I’ve bought that has been fit for its its indented purpose 😀 . I expect to have to change contact points, adjust seat angles stem lengths ect. Even doing that every bike will be a bit different but after a few rides I’ll get used to it.
    Got to laugh at all of you bike Princess’s, just think of the pro’s, they just get a bike put in front of them and they just ride the thing. It isn’t complicated.

Onzadog
    Free Member

No hora yet?

njee20
    Free Member

just think of the pro’s, they just get a bike put in front of them and they just ride the thing.

Some do, but many are incredibly exacting and it’ll have to be mm perfect. Look at some of the fitting jig things many pro teams have. Shit example. That’s like saying ‘why do you need to adjust the seat in your hire car?! Lewis Hamilton just gets in his F1 car and drives”.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member
    No hora yet?

He’s still typing…

😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

scruffywelder – Member
    Onzadog – Member
    No hora yet?
    He’s still typing…

😀

13thfloormonk

My old Charge Duster (back in the 26″ days) was initially a let down as I’d fallen for the ‘steel is real’ hype but it was no more ‘springy’ or ‘comfortable’ than the aluminium Bianchi it replaced. It was however about 1kg heavier… Having said that I had no choice but to ride it and get used to it and it became probably my favourite ever bike.

I never gelled with my Salsa Vaya, actually did put in some good miles on it but then I bought a Cannondale Synapse which just seemed to expose some quirks of the Salsa that I hadn’t noticed before, and I seemed to enjoy riding it less with time. Sort of regretting the decision to sell it now as I need something shorter and more upright than my Cannondale! 😕

nickc

Bfe, the geometry was about the same as the bike it replaced. Felt like I was riding my dad’s bike.

Any one want a L bfe frame? Done less than 20 miles I reckon

cokie

Many.

Most recent was a Trek Superfly. It was incredibly competent at going fast and climbing, but it was so dull.

Worst was a custom steel FS bike I had built in Australia. Discussed geometry and spec then signed it off. 8 months later it arrived and I built it up. After 1/2 hr ride it was clear something was wrong. I didn’t fit at all. I measured some tubes and it was way out from what I’d discussed. I couldn’t ride it at all. Like a bmx with FS. I kept hitting my knees and had no confidence with it. Oh well.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve had a few, I’ve also had amazing ones. For me, a bike should feel pretty much like it’s got something, you are almost there from the off. If it feels just wrong don’t bother making yourself like it. Life’s too short.

I threw my leg over the Giant Defy Advanced and bar one change it felt ‘right’. On the other hand the Planet X (even though it sells, bargains do), felt like it wasn’t right at all.

I own two great ones now; Commencal V4 and the Defy 8)

vondally
    Free Member

So many…… Intense tracer mk1/ nicolia cc soooo tall and short and tippy/ Yeti asr/ Yeti big top huge huge/ Santa Cruz bullit mk 1 in large and owned a heckler in large at the time……

Maybe some more as well…..so e I just hated bullit!and tracer in particular.

MoreCashThanDash

Only a Ribble road bike. Measured myself according to their online guide and ended up a size too big. Apparently was a common problem back then. Ended up getting the next frame down and swapping the bits over.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Ever bought a new bike and it just doesnt feel & fit right :(’ is closed to new replies.