Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Ever bought a bike just "coz you fancied it"?
  • steveoath
    Free Member

For whatever reason, I have taken a shine to the Orange MS Isle. Saw one on the ‘bay and went for it.

You ever bought a bike for no reason other than, “Just because”?

wwaswas

You ever bought a bike for no reason other than, “Just because”?

Most of them 🙁

tinsy
    Free Member

All of them..

Northwind

The more thought I put into buying a bike, the less likely it is that I’ll like it.

z1ppy

ummm, isn’t that how you choose bikes?
    Only (slightly) regretted one out of seven or so

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My old MsIsle was one of the worst bikes I’ve ever owned!

Curtis was probably the most ‘just because’ bike when they were £200 on CRC. I’d just literally days before finished building a new Dialled Love/Hate but couldn’t resist returning to Curtis ownership for the same money I ended up selling the Love/Hate for…

As I hoped, its turned out to be one of the best bikes I’ve ever ridden!

DezB
    Free Member

definitely this one

steveoath
    Free Member

z1ppy – I’m normally a check the spec, hunt down special offers and work from a shortlist kind of guy. Something about the aesthetics of this one appealed to me.

wwaswas

its turned out to be one of the best bikes I’ve ever ridden!

Mine too 🙂

z1ppy

TBH once I’m sold on a bike, I only use spec/special offers to justify it 😉

I know which bike I want next (kinda obvious from my posts), and it’ll be only lack of cash that stops me doing it… sensibly I know it’s hardly perfect, but I want one! (I’m hardly a serial bike buyer)

Mister-P
    Free Member

My coming bike has been ordered “just because”. I try to justify it as needing a winter road bike when in reality I don’t, I just fancy something new. Unless you absolutely need a bike then surely all of them are bought as a whim.

binners

Purchased on a momentary whim….

I think all drunken ebay purchases tend to fall into this category, don’t they?

tomhoward

+1 all of them. Maybe not on impulse, right there and then, but yeah.

AlexSimon

No, my ‘just because’ price ceiling is about £40 🙂

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Genesis IO – went into JD cycles to buy an Enigma Ti frame and left having ordered the IO having never seen one before.

DezB
    Free Member

Unless you absolutely need a bike

Couldn’t live without one!

pingu66
    Free Member

I thought that was the only way to buy a bike!

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep. I’d always fancied a long travel bike, just to see what it was like. One day I popped into Sunset Cycles, came out £1500 lighter wheeling a Patriot with coil front and rear.

It was a dog on the climbs but something else on the descents. Problem is I’d take it on huge mountain rides to do the descents, and have to winch it up huge climbs.

The air-sprung adjustable-forked one that replaced it on insurance is much better, 7lbs lighter!

patriotpro
    Free Member

binners – that is nice. Reminds me of the old GT performer I had many moons ago.

beaker2135

Surely you make investments with your head and buy bikes with your heart

geetee1972
    Free Member

There are other reasons?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Sunn B-Mixx

Just because.

Sold now, but was loads of fun.

rossi
    Free Member

Pashley Guv’nor just because I liked the look of it! Might shift it on along with a Giant Bowery I got on impulse and put monies towards a proper road bike.

samuri
    Free Member

Yep. Every bike I ever bought was just because I liked the look of it. It’s probably the reason I have two fixed wheel CX bikes, a unicycle and an aversion to full suss bikes. (Amongst others)

tmb467
    Free Member

No, my ‘just because’ price ceiling is about £40

got an old DMR jump frame for 40 quid on eBay – got other bits and pieces in the £40 price range, now just waiting on cranks in the £40 price range to finish it off

Steelsreal

was at bristol bike fest running some roller racing when the Ison van pulls up and out come some demo bikes including a horsethief….

needless to say said steed went home with me and Pat at Ison went away with my credit card details…

Went to Afan the next day had an over the handlebars moment on the Black run (long story) losing a couple of teeth in the process…

tonyd

Nope, although the wife might not agree. I always manage to come up with some weird and wonderful justification for any purchase, she tends to just humour me when I try to explain it to her.

Duane…
    Free Member

Yes, this thing;

It did get used though!

jekkyl

sicko, do you thrap off to the chainstay too?

khegs
    Free Member

Yeah, pretty much, went into evans at lunchtime one day, about a year ago, bimbling in with colleagues as one of them needed a bit.

Somehow ended up walking out with a Fuji Classic track bike, which has been used pretty much daily since, and the cost per mile is already well below £1

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Duane….excellent!! 😆

plyphon
    Free Member

I was saving for a Canyon Nerve AM, saw a C456 for sale for a alright price, managed to barter down to a steal of a price, bought it because I fancied it. Not thought about a full bouncer since!

Duane…
    Free Member

Oh, and after a few drinks..

badllama
    Free Member

Yup my Spesh Status 1 some times regret it now as it’s a bitch on climbs but I just keep telling myself to get fitter 😀

Plus after riding it the Enduro which I now have goes like a rabbit, at the time of buying the Status just wanted a longer travel bike from my 120 mm Camber 😕

steveoath
    Free Member

@Duane – Those are my fave photos of the year!!

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah I bought my bmx because I wanted it. I now regret it as I never ride it and cant get it sold to make space for more mtb stuff.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Lolz at Duane 😆

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Ever bought a bike just "coz you fancied it"?’ is closed to new replies.