• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ever been sued by eBay?
  • thered

Ever sold something without adequately explaining that it’s wrecked, then immediately withdrawn the funds from PayPal and de-linked your bank account/cancelled the eBay direct debit?
    How did eBay get their money back from you after reimbursing under buyer protection?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt anyone here is going to admit to that.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Sued, no. Screwed, every time I sell something on there… 😈

the-muffin-man

You could emigrate – just to be sure!

Being serious – debt collectors would find you. You’d leave an easy to follow trace.

ourmaninthenorth

This is going to end well….

thered

Being serious – debt collectors would find you. You’d leave an easy to follow trace.

That’s what I thought so why would somebody try this on with a pair of 20 quid pedals!

Ok sometimes stuff is a little bit not as described but how did he think he was gonna get away with a bent cage AND bent axle. Little so & so not responding to emails. Hooray for buyer protection.

EDIT: Obviously I’m just assuming he’s taken the funds and then de-linked accounts and all that. Strikes me as the kinda thing you’d do if you deliberately missed out damage in your description.

Moses

If the article is wrongly described, then the sale was fraudulent and could be classed as a criminal offence. There will be records of your name, bank details and address so it’s likely that something unpleasant could happen.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

They use debt collection for fees, cannot remember who it was, Scottish company

thered

If the article is wrongly described, then the sale was fraudulent and could be classed as a criminal offence. There will be records of your name, bank details and address so it’s likely that something unpleasant could happen.

Can you imagine, in court over 20 quid pedals, 😀

footflaps

The easiest way would be to use a bank account acquired through phishing, then you really are untraceable!

konabunny
    Free Member

“If the article is wrongly described, then the sale was fraudulent and could be classed as a criminal offence. “

Just because the item was misdescribed, it doesn’t mean there was a fraud.

The real life chances of getting prosecuted for twenty quid are practically zero (unfortunately).

bigyinn
    Free Member

Surely you just raise a case with E-Bay, they’ll give the seller so long to respond to the allegations, if they dont respond in time E-Bay will find in your favour and refund the money back to you.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’m with bigyinn on this one – not your problem – that’s what the fees on paypal cover.

Unless, of course, you’re planning on doing the dirty yourself…

I suspect eBay would just write-off £20, possibly to some dodgy tax regime.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I did it a few years ago when I sold a roof rack and the buyer claims, through paypal, it was delivered with bits missing. I had taken photos before posting it with all the bits zip tied and taped to the bars and sent them as evidence stating if he had received the parts certain parts then the other parts were attached too. Paypal still sided with the buyer stating I should claim of the post office. I said that would not put a fraudulent claim in and would cancel my accounts with Paypal which I did. Never heard anything else from Paypal and six months later I linked the accounts back up and still nothing.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not personally, although a friend of my Wife is currently being pursued by PayPal.

It’s a long and sordid story, She’s really an innocent party, but she sold a stolen item on behalf of her abusive ex-BF. The buyer was the original owner – she got arrested, bailed and ultimately released without charge – they put a warrant out on her ex-BF.

Anyway, PP returned the fee to the buyer, a little over £1k so not ‘small potatoes’ so she owes PP a grand. They said they will chase the Ex, but only if he’s convicted, the Police have all his details but aren’t actively looking for him, so unless he’s stopped in a car or does something else to be arrested he’s Scott free.

As for the mechanism, it’s like anything else – firstly they’ll send increasingly angry e-mails to you, then letters. Your PP account will be suspended and you’ll be banned from opening another (how much they can enforce that who-knows). After a time it will pass to debt collector – ultimately they’re powerless UNLESS they take you to court – if they secure a CCJ then they have more power to enforce the debt, even more so if they go to the High Court when they can instruct bailiffs.

As a rule of thumb no one is going to take you to court for less than £500, but more than likely over £1000 because of the costs involved (in man hours).

Anyway, in regards to the OP – if a seller doesn’t respond to the first e-mail start a dispute through the usual channels.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ever been sued by eBay?’ is closed to new replies.