• This topic has 32 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Ever been disappointed with your new bike?
  • biglee1

Picked up my new Superfly 7 the other day, haven’t even ridden it and I’m a bit disappointed with it 🙁
    Low spec brakes, another £100 to spec up to SLX
    Narrow bars, another spend to get them renthals at 780 up from the oe 690
    and that skinny ass back tyre at 2″! I haven’t rode a 2″ tyred mtb for many a year! tubless for that I think.

Buyers remorse? Hoping to be enlightened when I do get a ride 8)

wiggles
    Free Member

Should have bought a more expensive bike then 😉

tomhoward

Aren’t the rear tyres 2.2?

Do you have to have renthals? Other, cheaper, brands are available. Also, isn’t a superfly an xc biased bike? So super wide bars are not so favoured?

alexxx
    Free Member

You surely knew the spec before you bought it and worked out if you thought it was good value or if it would annoy you!

If not then I’m confused

ton

many many times. the blame however is with the rider not the bike.

13thfloormonk

Yes, almost every new bike I buy I’m disappointed in, it always takes a while to adjust, but once I do I’ve never regretted a purchase.

Funnily enough my most recent purchase was a superfly 7 😀

Only regretted it because I suddenly started doubting whether I was ready to get back into MTB (old injuries etc) and initially found it quite an uncomfortable ride. After I lowered tyre pressures a bit and suspension pressure, it suddenly felt much better, and bloody fast!

Most recently rode a blue pump’n’berm trail at Comrie Croft. Always used to find these trails a bit uninspiring, probably because I could never ride them properly or was trying to ride them on the wrong sort of bike. The Superfly absolutely railed down the trail, I’ve never had so much fun trying to keep a bike under control whilst scarcely in contact with the ground.

Brakes seem great (is yours the 2017 model? Sram Level T brakes?) and I am definitely prepared to keep them for now, had originally been budgetting for an upgrade.

Bars aren’t really narrow for the intended use, although to me they’re bloody massive as I’m a bit behind the times with handlebar width.

Tyres are crazy fast but yeah, they’re basically Californian race course issue only, a bit slippy on damp or steep grass, haven’t even got close to proper mud yet, and also I’ve slashed a sidewall already. Probably want to budget for replacements by the sounds of your riding.

But yeah, stick with it, assuming you want a fast racy hardtail then I think it will live up to expectations.

nedrapier

this one doesn’t have a rider yet!

BillOddie

OP – You’ve bought an out and out XC (race) bike and then wondered why it has come with narrow tyres and narrow bars? 😯

Should have bought more of an all rounder.

legend
    Free Member

alexxx – Member

You surely knew the spec before you bought it and worked out if you thought it was good value or if it would annoy you!

If not then I’m confused

This ^ not sure how anything you’ve mentioned can be news

tomhoward

Also, Deore brakes, while at the budget end, are the go to choice for a LOT of people. Not worth £100 to upgrade to SLX

biglee1

Deffo a rear at 2″ and the front is 2.2″
    It`s a 2017 bike with the basic shimano brakes, the bike was £1500 but it does have a great set of forks 😀

I like a wide bar with being a big lad, it`s a 23″ frame so thats a bit of personal choice.

I was going to get a whyte 901 but even the xl was too small 🙁
    The Keswick monster miles is on the 16th October so I imagine this bike will be perfect for that sort of thing 😀

I need to bond with it I think and let it show me what it can do 😉

The current brakes will be taken off and sold on without having been applied never mind in anger, I`d just be looking at the no name stuff with a tinge of dispair every time I looked at the bike. 🙄 🙂

andysredmini
    Free Member

Not been disappointing by one I have bought as I tend to build my own but one I hired when on holiday.
    It was an upgraded carbon Colnago V1-r road bike and I expected it be feel amazingly better than my worn out 10 year old £800 aluminium Bianchi but it didn’t. In honesty it didn’t feel anything special at all and I’m glad I tried one before looking at buying another road bike. Some of it probably came down to unfamiliarity with the bike, the roads and the 32deg heat though which made the whole ride hard work. I think the worst bit was the clunking of the cranks hitting the brake caliper under power. It was bad enough that I didn’t want to stand up and pedal even on the steep bits. The Di2 was really impressive though. Its something I always wanted but thought is was probably unnecessary and using it confirmed that its not essential but made me want it even more anyway.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Has it got Deore hydro brakes? If so they are great, no need to upgrade to SLX.

Sounds to me like you just don’t like your bike.

13thfloormonk

Ooops! Sorry, mine is only a Superfly 6, albeit the 2017 model, must have got my 6s and 7s mixed up.

If that Keswick event is more ‘gravel’ than serious off road terrain then I definitely wouldn’t change the tyres, they are quick. But if it’s serious rocky, rooty off-roady stuff I’d probably change them now, save yourself any grief.

P-Jay
    Free Member

No, I’ve never bought a bike expecting it to be different to the exactly thing I’ve bought – that would be madness.

I did buy a bike, whilst not exactly the spec I wanted, it was the one I was prepared to pay for, but despite having all the right ingredients, the whole was frankly a bit shit. 2011 Spicy 516, it should have been a long travel, hard hitting trail monster – but it wasn’t, the super-light wheelset, crap OE spec Conti tyres and poorly damped fork meant it was a sketchy mincer – better tyres helped a huge amount, and I don’t feel too bad about OE tyres, but the fork was poorly set-up for that bike and the wheelset too light and fragile. I’m sure it would have been great if I’d fixed that, but someone nicked it before I had the chance.

As others have said, Deore brakes are actually very good, the 2 sets I’ve had were anyway – they seem to lose a bit of power compared to my XTs, but they’re a lot more consistent and unbelievably reliable.

bob_summers

yep, once it ceases to be a new bike and needs tedious things like cleaning or cables and cassettes.

biglee1

Oh god bob, you’re right it will do 😥 😥 a fail from day 1 😥

jimw
    Free Member

Not a whole bike, no, but a frame I built up, yes.

Ragley Ti 20″ frame.

I bought it having had a go on a friend’s 18″ but, for whatever reason-may have been the frame, the wheels the fork etc but I just didn’t get on with it at all. So much less compliant at the back end that I remembered the 18″ frame being. Not a bad bike in any shape or form, but a disappointment for sure.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Yep, bought a commencal meta am1 26’er. Wanted one for ages. I hated it. Rode terrible due to the fox ctd rubbish. Sold it after a few months.
    I then built from scratch, so it has all the bits I want on fitted. Cost a lot of money though. But ive had it for 2 years now, so its saved me in the long term from buying new bikes.

warpcow
    Free Member

All mine have been built up from frames the last few years so rarely disappointed by any parts. Biggest disappointment is always, always, always that new stuff doesn’t make me a riding god. Obvious example is the jump bike I bought that didn’t make me any less of a chicken on jumps.

DezB
    Free Member

If I’m buying a bike (and not demoing it beforehand) I’ll study the spec like a complete geek. I’ll check the spec of the higher and lower spec models, previous year’s model, and study the geometry (probably not that really). I’ll also check the fork’s spec. So, no I’ve never been disappointed with what I’ve ended up with! 🙂

TimP
    Free Member

Was out on my new(ish) bike yesterday (Marin Pine Mountain) and it felt a bit sluggish and not right at all having just done a day with Jedi on my full sus.
    I felt slow and not really in the mood and the tyres felt draggy, it was a bit damp in the woods and there were a few complaints about it being slippy and skiddy. I didn’t really notice as I was bimbling along concentrating on my technique and not hitting any trees for a change.
    Got home and had a look at some of my times and they weren’t far off my best. So yes I was disappointed for a while yesterday, but on reflection I am happy

clodhopper
    Free Member

Once bought a Specialized bike that was so poorly made (Friday night special?), the rear brake wouldn’t work properly as the rear triangle was on the piss. I’d only test ridden a display model, so assumed the one I’d bought would be fine. All the other ones in stock were faulty in some way too. 🙁 Had to get a refund and walk away.

scotroutes

Sort of. I bought an El Mariachi frame and built it up with my choice of components. Somehow, I just couldn’t “bond” with it. Nothing I could put my finger on, it definitely felt better with rigid forks. I sold it and replaced with a Ti frame and we immediately hit it off.

13thfloormonk

Oh, scotroutes just reminded me, I never bonded with my Salsa Vaya but probably because I was using it for mostly the same riding as my Cannondale Synapse, so the Vaya was never going to feel as good.

Now I’ve sold both, it’s the Vaya I wish I had back, or better yet one of the new Vayas which has a carbon fork and triple butted tubes 🙁

matt_outandabout

The local Trek dealer said they were seeing Superfly’s that varied from spec – particularly brakes and forks (straight steerer with step down H/S, instead of tapered).

Mrs_OAB’s new Superlight 6 Womens came with better spec brakes than listed (SLX M675 instead of M445’s that were listed on Superfly 6 and 7).

I like mrs_oab’s bike – seems a really stable, fast ride for her, while still being an eeeny weeny frame size. The only downside so far is the higher bottom bracket that previous bike.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/LxFSxU]Laggan Wolftrax August 16[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

fasthaggis

If I’m buying a bike (and not demoing it beforehand) I’ll study the spec like a complete geek. I’ll check the spec of the higher and lower spec models, previous year’s model, and study the geometry (probably not that really). I’ll also check the fork’s spec. So, no I’ve never been disappointed with what I’ve ended up with!

Same as Dez^^

Never mind OP,buy in haste,repent upgrade at leisure

steve_b77
    Free Member

Narrow bars, another spend to get them renthals at 780 up from the oe 690
    and that skinny ass back tyre at 2″! I haven’t rode a 2″ tyred mtb for many a year! tubless for that I think.

Man buys cheapish XC bike and shocked to find it comes with XC parts and some own branded parts, shock 😯

The tyres, assuming the’re XR1 or 2’s are ace. Bontrager finishing kit is also pretty good.

Banging wide bars and a short stem on it will probably destroy the handling and make the front very light & wandry on climbs.

On another note, Lakeland Monster is a CX based event, even a Superfly is total overkill

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Yup, the Whyte G160 works I just moved on. So much promise but too much compromise. Entirely my fault though for not identifying what kind of bike I really needed, and for being drunk when I bought it.

biglee1

XR1’s on it 🙂

My box of superstar bling has just landed anyway 😀 A new pair of Nanos and some chunkier grips for my big mitts 🙂

I did the Keswick monster a couple of years ago on my then hardtail that lost all the air out of the fork, that`ll teach me to check the bike over the day before and add a bit of air! 50/50 off/on road so was easily passing the CX boys on the rough but they clawed back on the road as to be expected 😆

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Yep, bought a commencal meta am1 26’er. Wanted one for ages. I hated it. Rode terrible due to the fox ctd rubbish

Me too. I replaced the Fox 32 with a Pike and it was far better, but it was a pig to pedal so it went after a year and Im back on a hard tail.

rmacattack
    Free Member

yes. i bought a second hand gt force in a rush/ panic while i was in nz. spec and all looked good. i could never get used to the bike though. tried rear shock in all settings and pressures but the bike was never comfortable when getting airborne. always had the tendency to nose dive. i was really disappointed.

FOG

Every bike I have ever bought . This is usually because I buy bikes so rarely (wife disagrees) that geometry fashion has changed and it takes a while to get used to. I hated the latest bike for about 6 months until I finally realised it was meant to be long and low and just started to enjoy it

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Ever been disappointed with your new bike?’ is closed to new replies.