Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Evening shaving v morning shaving.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

My god, my hairy old builders face doesn’t like being scraped at before 3pm!
    Current job requires near continual use of dust masks and having a hairy mush somewhat reduces their effectiveness. Had to have a “morning shave” a couple of times over the last few weeks due to being a slack fecker over the weekend etc and it’s like using a 50 year old blade!
    Tonight I attacked three day old stubble and it was like knife through butter. Is this the case for everyone?

Stoner
    Free Member

sweat probably softens your beard towards the end of the day.

I only ever shave in the shower, after a long soak. My beard’s like 60grit unless it’s been under water for 5 minutes.

Haze

The exact opposite!

theotherjonv

I can do either, but if I’m planning a proper shave to babyface smooth, that’s definitely an evening task. Morning shaves are usually one pass stubble reduction exercises.

DE razor with a fresh blade on a Sunday evening is usual practice, that blade then lasts the rest of the week.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Cannot remember where I read this (FHM??) but most people find it easier to shave in the evening. I think your pores are more open.
    You can improve things in the morning by having a hot shower with lots of steam before you shave. I also find I go through blades quicker if I shave in the morning.

Might be worth investing in a new razor too. After years of years of sticking with the same Wilkinson Sword two blade jobby I tried a whole load of them to see if anything really had improved. I was suprised to find the latest Gillette thing was the best razor I’ve tried. Just a shame the blades are £22 a pack!

stumpy01

Prefer a shave in the evening and always get a better shave if I’ve got a few days growth…

Cougar

“Why don’t you have a shave in the morning?”

Because I’ll bleed like a menstruating stuck pig in a cheese grater factory, why don’t you go stick pins in your eyes you gorramn maniac?

Cougar

I was suprised to find the latest Gillette thing was the best razor I’ve tried. Just a shame the blades are £22 a pack!

Son, you have chosen poorly, but you have come to the right forum.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I was awaiting the “shaving haven” officianados!
    I use currently a Gillette 3 blade chuck away. They aren’t bad to be fair.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I had a good go with traditional safety razors – probably about 3 months. I got fed up with the amount of time it took. After that I tried every razor boots sold except their own brand disposible (I got a bit obsessed). The one I like the best is the Gillete.

The only thing I haven’t really tried is a cut throat. But a German colleague who orders his blades from Japan advised me not to bother – I don’t have 30 mins spare each shave!

I guess everyone has a differnt face. I do seem to grow iron wool for a beard though.

CheesybeanZ

Always in the evening in the shower .

RealMan
    Free Member

Always after a shower, but at different times. I actually bought an electric shaver a while ago (don’t hate me – it was for other duties), and it turned out to be really good at just getting rid of most of it, then a shower, and then a wet shave. Doesn’t take any more time (maybe even less), and makes it all super easy and smooth. Bic disposables as well, with a brush and cream (either palm olive or the boots own brand).

jp-t853

If you shave in the morning I think you are supposed to wait until you have been up for 15 mins so that the skin is ready.

ourmaninthenorth

Morning, post shower and (whisper it) electric.

Not awfully hairy but v oily skin so hot water and decent soap softens and degreases. Must get a new blade head for the Philips I use.

matt_outandabout

Morning, post shower. Never thought to do it in the evening.

ali69er
    Free Member

Just pulled the trigger on a DE Razor, have been using the brush for a couple of years now. Even if you stick with a modern razor, the brush approach works wonders.

If you don’t try it, you are missing out.

Perhaps a brush and a 650b will improve your confidence and wellbeing

AdamW
    Free Member

I’ve switched to Aldi 3 blade gubbins where you get six replacement blades for £2.99.

Oh, and a stypic pencil 🙂

midlifecrashes

Electric for the morning, wet for the evening.

scaredypants

hang on !

RealMan – Member
    I actually bought an electric shaver(don’t hate me – it was for other duties)

?? 😆

RealMan
    Free Member

You’ll understand when you’re older 😉

MrOvershoot

ourmaninthenorth – Member

Morning, post shower and (whisper it) electric.

Not awfully hairy but v oily skin so hot water and decent soap softens and degreases. Must get a new blade head for the Philips I use.

Morning, post shower and electric.

Hairy & oily skin so hot water and decent soap softens and a degrease. Must get a new blade head for the Philips I use.

brooess
    Free Member

I’m giving up on DE after a couple of months of a sore face, lousy shave and blood, and going back to the 4+1 stupidity of Gillette. yes it costs more, but my face thanks me for it 🙂

Morning shaving here – but always shower beforehand

jota180
    Free Member

Best shave is after a long hot bath.

Cougar

I’m giving up on DE

What razor were you using?

portlyone

I shave in the morning so I don’t look like a scruffy get in the office.

cynic-al
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    hang on !

RealMan – Member
    I actually bought an electric shaver(don’t hate me – it was for other duties)[/quote]

He’s started shaving? (dammit he’s got google to erase that pic from the interweb)

Sui
    Free Member

+1 – I went DE to get away from sore neck, and it’s worked a treat, the blades are also SOOOOO much cheaper.

For info

I’ve got an Edwin Jagger DE (short handle), I’ve been experimenting with Derby and Feather blades.

I started using pre-shave cream (menthol stuff – bloomin cold), and used a limes and pomegranate soap with a super Badger brush. I ended up dropping the pre-shave as it’s not needed with the Derby blades, but the feathers seem to irritate me. The brush is a wonder, and helps lift the hairs a bit more.

I think the main point around DE or Shavette shaving is that it forces you to take time, whereas the cartridge ones leads you into slapping on any old cheap gel, and quickly getting the task over and done with (not always with good results). I also went the new man route and use a natural aftershave cream 8)

brooess
    Free Member

a £25 mercur thing + feathers blades. I’ve been wet shaving for 20+ years and never had as many cuts for so much effort and cuts… I tried my old gilette for comparison one day last week and my face was like a baby’s bum and I was out the house 5 mins earlier too…

gonzy
    Free Member

shave at night mainly due to the bathroom being free when everyone else is in bed.

TooTall
    Free Member

In the morning, after breakfast AND a shower. Smooth and easy.

For those with sore necks – shave with the growth (probably upwards on the neck) and lighter pressure than on the face. Less pain, less ingrown hairs.

Clobber
    Free Member

@ Broess I’ll take your mercur thing and feather blades off you… email in profile…

soma_rich
    Free Member

Derby blades in a double edge razor with a lots of soap and I can shave when ever I like now. I used to have a bath to really soften my beard or at least a shower with disposable razors now I can just wash in hot water.

Think I still have some blades left from when I got this set last year:

Amazon

chilled76
    Free Member

Evening for me as my face sweats profusly for a few hours after a wet shave. Does anyone else have this issue?

molgrips
    Free Member

Shaving.. screw that. I use a beard trimmer set to 0.5mm once a week (if that). My chin has never been more comfortable, growth slowed down loads too. And the stubble is much softer.

Cougar

@ Broess I’ll take your mercur thing and feather blades off you… email in profile…

Toad, that’s why I was asking. *pouts*

Clobber
    Free Member

Sorry Cougar, you can have first dibs especially after you put me onto the Astra platinums… almost as sharp as feathers but smoother and twice the longevity…

BlueGibber
    Free Member

I struglge with some allegergies so had to stop the gilette and wilk sword razors. Now ues Boots 2 blade one with heads quite cheap. My trick is 1) post shower, 2) re-wet face with hot water, 3) clinique M shave gel for now allergies, 4) cold water rinse and dry then and 5) finish off with Clinique post shave healer. Combo tried and trusted.

If stubble is long e.g. after few days, then i do use a beard trimmer at 0.5mm pre shower

gonzy
    Free Member

when i was a lot younger shaving at different times of the day didnt bother me
    i had a nice technique that i got taught….wet the face and apply a hot towel to the area to be shaved…this heat help to soften the hairs and open up the pores.
    after the shave apply the hot towel again to keep the pores open and then wash the face with warm water. then apply cold water to the face as it closes the pores and reduces the stinging feeling you get.
    then apply a post shave balm to stop the skin from drying out…it works like a charm with a very smooth and clean finish

nowadays i cant be bothered with all that plus i have a beard…so i use the clipper attachment on my electric shaver to get rid of the lenght, then use the shaver itself to get rid of the stubble, then i use a gillette fusion blade to take the rest off to leave a smooth finish

oliverd1981
    Free Member

the biggest change in my shaving routine is that I’ve started washing my face with a gritty, manly ex-foliating face wash either in the shower, or just prior to lathering up, the whole shave seems to go much smoother afterwards – I guess the razor isn’t having to remove grease and dead skin.

My personal favourite is still the mach3, or maybe the mach 3 turbo – when I’ve used anything with more blades it’s just blocked up with hair.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Evening shaving v morning shaving.’ is closed to new replies.