Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Evening (road) ride out to the lanes from South Manchester next week?
  • hora
    Free Member

Clocks go back – dark at 7.30pm 😀

An earlish start though to take maximum advantage of the light (I need to buy lights anyway though).

Say 5.30ishish from Stretford Mall area if anyone fancies it? I don’t know any routes yet so open to pointers too.

On a sidenote- if a group of road riders chaingang, if its night road riding would that be gangbanging? :mrgreen:

funkrodent

I’m up for this mate. Sunset a week today isn’t until 7.45, so it’ll stay light until 8pm at the earliest. I know some routes South out of Manchester into Cheshire.

The one I have ridden most regularly is a loop up from Northenden to Wilmslow along Styal Road (nice steady climb) and then from Wilmslow across towards Knutsford at which point you can either dive into Tatton Park or skirt it on the near side. Either way you end up coming back into Manchester through Altrincham.

Alternatively know the route out from Altrincham to Tatton via (mostly) back roads and then back via Dunham Massey.

Pretty sure I’ve got a spare set of lights that I can dig out if you need

scaled
    Free Member

http://www.strava.com/activities/109596457

I’d suggest giving that a whirl, nice enough route 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Sounds great. There is at least another who can make it too.

A great way to build fitness for summer trails 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

The other route that i’m liking at the moment is the usual flixton -> Lymm bit then head back past dunham (probably having a pint at the swan) then back through Bowdon, Hale then Timperley and you’re back in the big smoke in no time

funkrodent

I’m in, happy with whatever route is chosen. However, my opportunities next week are more limited than I initially realised. Can’t do Thursday as I’m riding the mountain bike to Clayton Vale with some mates after work for a spin (you’re welcome to join that one if you want) and Friday is out. So would need to be Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. In all honesty Tuesday is the one that works best for me. How does that fit in with you?

D0NK

I shall watch this with interest. What time you planning on finishing?

The last STW road ride I attended was all good fun but we couldn’t chaingang even if our lives depended on it, 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I’m flexible to suit really- I’m aiming to get out as much as possible after work each week for 1.5-2hours max in the nice evenings to aid my mountain biking. So as long as I’ve got company I’m happy and can do 2 evenings etc.

I’ve got absolutely no inclination to reach proper (serious) road riding and chain gangs. Its merely fitness/getting out there and fairly easy pace. I’m coming from (probably) better than average laymans cycling fitness but I’m not going to be beasting, just destressing/spinning along.

Plus my bike aint exactly the latest carbon thing. Its got a 6speed rear cassette 😀

Can start as early as 5 to suit or even 6. for say upto 2hours?

I’m planning to get out Monday evening as a first ride out weather permitting. Then any other evening after that to suit others.

Bregante

That route that scaled posted is along the lines of my regular Sunday morning ride (as it passes within a few hundred meters of my door).unfortunately I am working late all next week though but will be up for it anither week.

funkrodent

If you can’t do the Tuesday, I’m happy to do the Monday. Pootle paced ride suits me just fine. 5.30pm at Stretford Mall is fine with me. Shall we just confirm that and plan from there?

hora
    Free Member

Bregante following week is good- you can show us it then 😀

funk – suits me Monday. Praying for dry weather 🙂

funkrodent

Ok, that’s sorted. Will meet you at 5.30pm at the mall on Monday. Shall we say at the bus stop opposite the Total petrol station?

hora
    Free Member

Got it- will do. I’ll nudge another STWer too.

Bregante

Mondays is for mountain bikes and pubs

Wrong Uns!

HindlePie
    Free Member

I’ll probably struggle to get there for 5.30. Hora – if you want to pass mine on the way out to the Cheshire lanes, then that should work for me? There’s many routes we can do.

hora
    Free Member

What time you reckon Hindle? Funk which way will we go? Could we go via Sale?

HindlePie
    Free Member

5.45 at mine? We can head out via Timperley towards Ashley and then a Mobberley boozer for a frothy one.

funkrodent

Fine by me. Vague plan was to go out through Ashton on Mersey and onto the lanes heading up towards Dunham and Lymm. Happy with whatever is decided.

hora
    Free Member

Dunham and Lymm sound good though. We could delay the start time hindle Pie slightly if it’d help??

hora
    Free Member

I did 33miles today. Could we do Tues pm? Got a feeling I will be **** tomorrow

Duggan

I should be buying my first road bike in a week or two so if this carries on I’ll be game for this. I’m pretty local to Stretford. I’ll check back here in due course.

hora
    Free Member

Yep. These miles will give us summer trail legs 😀

hora
    Free Member

Right. Thursday 5.30ish

bikemanspen
    Free Member

I can possibly do Thursday providing I can get bk from work in time! I live in Flixton and have been getting out to Dunham Ashley mobberley ect for the last few months I it’s really nice and we’ll worth a mooch!
    I’ll keep an eye on this thread 😉

hora
    Free Member

I could give you my number if you were running late/on your way

funkrodent

I’m good for 5.30 on Thursday

hora
    Free Member

Squeeze to 5.20ish? I’ll be there- the big carpark opposite Stretford Mall (over Chester road- on left as you ride up from city centre). See you then.

bikemanspen
    Free Member

Ok I’ll be there

hora
    Free Member

Great ride. 27miles and a pint. Thanks for the route! Same again next week?

Bregante

I may be up for it next week depending on the night.
    Anyone got a link of tonights route?

hora
    Free Member

What nights are good for you?

bikemanspen
    Free Member

I’ve currently got it going from my garmin to strava via map my ride I’m not sure how long it will take? But tbh I wouldn’t know how to put a link up as I’m not the best with these things.
    Nice ride tho cheers fellas I should be up for nxt week;)

Bregante

Probably Weds or Thurs next week.

Not Mondays though. Obviously.

hora
    Free Member

Thurs again is good for me. Keep it as a fixture?
    Gives abit of space between Mon night ride and weekend too.

hora
    Free Member

As mentioned starting in Hope tomorrow at 8.30am if good.

Road ride next Thursday again. Sametime/place.

Bregante

Is this happening tonight?

Just curious really, having been out already 🙂

hora
    Free Member

rearranged as I had a migraine on Wednesday and still under the weather yesterday. We are doing Tues AND Thurs if good for you? With the weather now, nows the time to get fitness in order 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Evening (road) ride out to the lanes from South Manchester next week?’ is closed to new replies.