Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Evans/rattle-y brakes
  • Karinofnine

So, I got my Scott Sub 10 Hybrid from Evans (after a total nightmare of waiting/rudeness/disinterest from the staff).

Three weeks in and the brake pads in the front brake rattle. Irritating, embarrassing and slightly worrying. I go to the bike shop this morning to be told that "all disc brakes rattle". Do they? The brakes on my Salsa and the 5 don't.

Question to all you out there who have hydraulic disc brakes – do they rattle?

Thanks

rOcKeTdOg

no

i'd get someone remotely competent to have a look at them (i.e. not Evans)

wwaswas

no, they don't rattle.

phone them up and persevere.

if they disagree and still say 'they all rattle' then ask them to show you any other bike in the shop that has rattling pads.

Karinofnine

I pointed out that the back brake, which has done the same journeys on the same roads under the same weather conditions, does not rattle while the front one does.

Sadly, I am stuck with Evans because they are the provider of my firm's ride to work scheme. Several of us have had problems and we are petitioning HR to allow us to choose independent bike shops for ride to work next year.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Keep going back until they fix it. Talk to the manager. If there is still no movement then ask them to pay for another LBS to have it fixed as they are clearly incapable of doing it themselves. Annoying and frustrating when this sort of thing happens. I suspect it is usually down to someone who either doesn't really want to do anything about it or is scared of the workshop and would rather come up with some pathetic excuse than deal with it properly.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There should be a spring to stop the pads from rattling check front and rear for something missing. What brakes are they?

Or go to another shop and ask them to check it.

Karinofnine

M575s.

The chap who served me said they are rattling because they are rubbish brakes! According to him you need to spend more than the £900 the Scott cost in order to get decent parts.

I'm picking it up tonight so we'll see what happens then.

wwaswas

check it whilst it's in the shop or say you'll go for a quick test ride and don't accept it back unless they've sorted it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Evans/rattle-y brakes’ is closed to new replies.