Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Evans Ride it – MTB – Biggin Hill
  • sirromj

Was thinking about doing the Evans Ride It at Biggin Hill MTB event as a sort of precurser to trying to enter a few XC races next year, but the only video I’ve found consists of straight muddy bridleways, which doesn’t exactly sell it to me. Is it more for roadies who want a go at XC?

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Did the South Wales version in the Brecon Beacons recently. Won’t bother again. Lots of Tarmac and fire roads.

Kryton57

They are pretty low risk events aimed at the easier end of the scale, certainly not races. You’d be better entering the Merida Brass Monkeys race on 15th Nov in the Sport class and just giving it ago not worrying about how well / bad you do. You’ll get a taste for how events are organised and some racing atmosphere.

charliemort

the Biggin Hill ride is okay – nothing particularly taxing but some decent hills and trails are dry atm. good way to get 30 or so fast miles in. But no – not equivalent to an XC race

aether531
    Free Member

There are a couple of fun little descents, but unless it’s been dry for a good while then it’ll be quite muddy. The route uses a lot of well used bridleways, so the if it’s been raining then it’ll be very muddy!

Rubber_Buccaneer

The ones I have done in the South East have been well organised nice rides with plenty of cake. Not done Biggin Hill so don’t know the terrain. They have nothing to do with race prep, they are organised rides.

On the other hand XC racing is just riding in circles around a muddy field…. 😉

Kryton57

An MTB race; You can decide for yourself if its more exciting than riding up Biggin Hill and eating cake, or is indeed riding around a field in circles. Note the intensity/audacity of rider 274 at 3:33 😉

[video]https://youtu.be/AuCpyMEQQy4[/video]

Rubber_Buccaneer

Are you rider 274 Kryton? I will have a watch when I get home (not that I need to watch in private, I just probably shouldn’t do it at work….watch videos that is) 🙂

Kryton57

Are you rider 274 Kryton?

Yep.

Don’t be put off by some of the pace/effort/faces, there are all kinds from Elite racers to people just like yourself in that vid.

Have a bash and enjoy…

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve done the Biggin Hill ride and a few XC races. They’re not the same at all, as has been said. The route on that ride is OK and if you wanted to do it on a competitive, compare your time to others basis then make sure you’re one of the first starters. Otherwise you’ll just risk getting held up a lot. I seem to recall there’s a big road climb on it but that wouldn’t put me off doing it again.

If you’re looking to enter races then I’d recommend the Gorricks in Surrey. Several different categories and always a good course. Next one is on 1st November.

sirromj

Thanks for the info. I won’t bother with the Biggin Hill Ride it. I’ve done three XC races over the past six years or so, two one hours, and one six hour.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Evans Ride it – MTB – Biggin Hill’ is closed to new replies.