Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Evans cycles mechanical staff wtf!!
  • Amos
    Free Member

So my wife collected her cannondale synapse from Evans on Saturday, only bought from there due to her company using them for the ride to work scheme. Out riding today and she was complaining of a clunking noise, I naturally poo poo’d and said she was imagining it. So when I got home from work set the gears up to take out any cable stretch and to my horror discovered the back wheel bearings hanging out shield hanging out pissing grease every where!?! What exactly they set up at evans before releasing the bike is beyond me? Ranted at Evans and returning bike. They blame cannondale of course but surely the mechanic should of discovered this before sending the bike!? She actually could have a massive shunt.
    What do you suggest I do next?

geoffj

Wait for them to fix it and then collect it?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Eat something tasty for dinner?

Jamie
    Free Member

Sue them of course. 😐

lemonysam
    Free Member

Challenge them to a duel!

Amos
    Free Member

Ah, yes of course, cheers guys!

jameso

It’s entirely possible that the wheel looked fine out of the box and it took a few miles to work loose, then got worse as she rode (ie the ‘clunking noise’).

GavinB

Nuke them from space. It’s the only way to be sure.

twohats
    Free Member

Ask to use their toilet and then stage a dirty protest.

Amos
    Free Member

Jameso you make a valid point, I guess I do need to calm down a bit, however I was already a little pissed off when the bike was built with the gear cable outers too short and so wouldn’t turn ‘full lock’ so to speak. So that’s dodgy steering and now a wheel with about 20mm of lateral float, I mean if I was trying to kill my mrs I would have done it myself with out the help of Evans mechanical department? Maybe my concerns should be aimed else where I.e. Cannondale but I wouldn’t want a kiddies bike out of there work shop

Amos
    Free Member

Again thanks for all the suggestions

JoeG
    Free Member

Surely the manufacturer would have cut and installed the gear cables and outers at the factory; they wouldn’t leave this for the shop to do.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

(Should people who work for a manufacturer or retailer declare this when replying to a thread involving their employer? *)

Jameso, apologies if mistaken re your employer!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Why would you ever need to go to full lock on a bike?

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

Yea what JoeG said. These days the bikes come pretty well built in the box and require minimal time from the store. Just take it back and they will sort it no bother I am sure.

oh and probably best to give em a chance to sort before digitally bad mouthing them…. everyone makes mistakes! even you I would hazard a guess?

Amos
    Free Member

No offence…

Jamie
    Free Member

You seem a little highly strung, Amos.

…incidentally, do you also ride a Cannondale? Possibly a Prophet?

*ahem*

jameso

(Should people who work for a manufacturer or retailer declare this when replying to a thread involving their employer? *)

Jameso, apologies if mistaken re your employer!
    None needed, you’re right I do work for Evans. I think a fair number on here know that and I agree, any bias should be clear if relevant. My comment was just factual though and I think people with trade links should be able to post on here w/o reference to work. Shills or any lack of perspective from trade types are soon obvious.

crazy-legs

Well the bike will have been built by Cannondale then assembled by Evans – literally just a case of put the front wheel on, straighten the bars, make sure everything is tight and the gears and brakes work, tyres inflated etc. 30 minutes work.

So presumably the bike left the workshop in pretty much perfect condition – it’s not uncommon for things to work loose after a little while, that’s why shops offer a free first service.. Sounds a bit shit that the hub fell to pieces that quickly but again, that’s Cannondale. You can’t expect the shop to pick up on a part that functions perfectly to start with then maybe caught on something, took a knock while out riding (or in the car).

I’d accept it as one of those things, get the shop to sort it and carry on with life.

FWIW, when I worked in a shop that sold Cannondales, we usually expected to get them back inside of a month due to them being utter shit. For that reason, I would never even consider buying a Crack’n’fail…

Amos
    Free Member

Nah not really mate text always comes over differently, believe me I pretty chilled. Just some comments for the sake of disagreeing are ridiculous.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks, James, and glad I was right! Wasn’t implying any misdeeds on your part at all, by the way, just thinking that disclosure was better on a thread like this.

Also I agree that industry types shouldn’t always have to declare an interest if just in general conversations. (Am ex industry, btw)

wanmankylung
    Free Member

What a charmer. 🙄

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’m never sure whether to post precisely because I do have trade links. I don’t want people to think I have a vested interest in anything.
    However, I have no problem defending Evans so far. The bike will have come with the cables fitted so unless they are massively too short the guy setting it up to not notice they are too short. The rear wheel could also have looked perfectly fine out the box but worked lose during initial use. Don’t condemn them straigh out the gate. Give them a chance to rectify the problems. If they fail to do that satisfactorily then flame away. But I’d be flaming canon dale as much as Evans. I’ve returned a couple of wheels this year with exactly this problem. Looked fine out the box.

dannyh
    Free Member

If you buy a new complete bike I would take the headset apart at the first opportunity. Many come built with a mere rumour of some grease. In a similar vein I would also take the pedals off and install with fresh anti seize. Do the same with the bb cups.

I would also check the wheel bearings after a few rides as well as spoke tension.

You really shouldn’t have to do this stuff, but a lot of the bike factories really don’t give a damn as long as they are getting units out of the door.

Amos
    Free Member

Thanks crazy-legs I appreciate the input, I was typical find the first person and rant at them (hangs head in shame) but I quite like my mrs and was pretty pissed off and as I work in an industry where you double and triple check everything before it goes I was comparing that to this!
    I will take it up with cannondale as I think there standards should be a little higher.

crazy-legs

I will take it up with cannondale as I think there standards should be a little higher.

To be fair, you take it up with the shop and they take it up with Cannondale. It’s up to the shop to sort it and (assuming it’s covered under warranty) they claim back the parts/money from Cannondale.

So yes, it’s the shop’s responsibility to sort it for you but probably not their fault that the hub broke/fell apart in the first place.

Give them a chance to rectify the fault before getting the pitchforks out! Good luck getting it all sorted. 🙂

toppers3933
    Free Member

You’re right to have high standards and it defo isn’t good enough. Just rein it in a bit. It’s new and sometimes these things happen. It’s how they deal with it now that should decide how nutty you should go at them. There ‘should’ be a new wheel and some cables on their way from cannon dale. If there isn’t, get shitty.

sq225917
    Free Member

If you can track stand you don’t need to X-up, you can get steady with only a few degrees of bar turn and no need for any incline. Only a monkey ned to X-up on a 45 degree slope.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I shortened my cables so the bars cannot go “full’ lock, as this stops the controls hitting the top tube and pulling a dent in it (again…. If only you knew this stuff before it was a problem hey!)

Irish_AL
    Free Member

R30 wheel set by any chance? I am seeing on average 2-3 of these rear wheels on a weekly basis, majority breaking spokes for no reason and the odd freehub issue. Always the rear. Sadly it’s not the best quality set of wheels Cannondale have ever fitted to their bikes. 😕

iain1775
    Free Member

To be fair if you ranted at Evans like you came across on here I doubt you would get their best attention
    I think you need to chill out a bit, calling people all the names under to sun will get you nowhere

And what sort of commute to work does your missus have that she needs to x-up? 😉

Amos
    Free Member

Eh? I can’t track stand or x-up I was taking the piss …

Amos
    Free Member

No swearing at them but they didn’t think not having full range of bar rotation was a good idea ! 😉

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Demand trial by combat.

eshershore
    Free Member

So when I got home from work set the gears up to take out any cable stretch and to my horror discovered the back wheel bearings hanging out shield hanging out pissing grease every where!?

I am a bit confused as to what happened, based on your description?

you got the bike home and the bearing shield had jumped off the wheel axle, exposing wheel bearings?

devash
    Free Member

Stop whining.

jimmy748

Perhaps when your wife said something was knocking on her new bike it would of been wise to check it for her rather than just poo pooing her

Amos
    Free Member

When she said clunking I assumed gearing issues so checked them on the stand to check correct indexing at which point I discovered the wheel had lateral play so pulled back the rubber boot which was covered in grease to discover ball bearings missing and the shield out of position. Hope this clears up in inconsistencies

Not whining mate, it’s a forum? Was just looking for feed back…

v666ern
    Free Member

complaining of a clunking noise,

+1 jimmy
    Listen to your wife maybe, you go alpha male!

steviecapt
    Free Member

i think youve learnt a valuable lesson, after buying a new bike always check it over completely, before going out for a ride on it, ive learnt that same lesson over the years, although you might not have noticed the dodgy hub, but you would have noticed the short cables, i never trust any shop when buying a new bike, i will always check over before using it, especially from certain shops?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Evans cycles mechanical staff wtf!!’ is closed to new replies.