Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Evans Cycles bad customer services
  • dambrit
    Free Member

Two weeks ago i purchased some Louis Garneau bike shoesfrom Evans Cycles online, they arrived and are really small. I sarted the returns process thinking as Evans Cycles are such a large company they would have systems in place to deal with returns correctly. Oh how i was wrong…..

I go near a main store during my work so i’ll take them back then. The next size up are not available in store only at the main depot so i had to re order to get those delivered. At the store the staff were very friendly and politely explained that as i had paid with pay pal the only way of getting a rfund was to post them back to the main depot. They were not even able to give me a credit note. The member of staff also eluded that all Louis Garneau things are small….. I came away from the store feeling frustrated. I bit the bullet and went to the post office to be told ‘that will be £11 please’. Let me just get up off the floor i replied £11!!!!! to send some carbon shoes back!!!!
    There must be away of sending them back to store so i phoned customer services to ask for their help.
    The reply was NO THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO.

Sorry for the rant but as Evans Cycles is such a large National company i thought they would have a better infastructure to sort this out cheaper!!!!!!!

Lessons learnt 1) Stop buying things off line because they are cheaper, 2) Dont use pay pal, 3)Dont rely on big companies.

captaintomo
    Free Member

To balance things out, I’ve had nothing but good service from them. Often buy clothing from their site using paypal and if it doesn’t fit I’ll take it back to their store in Edinburgh. The staff always take back the return with no hassle. Great!!

nuke

So more a moan at the cost of the Post Office…there are alternatives to the Post Office. Thats the risk when buying online, pick an online store that uses Collect+ or similar next time. Hardly worthy of the thread title

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

as i had paid with pay pal the only way of getting a rfund was to post them back to the main depot.

This annoyed me too – it is not made clear when paying, but it is on the returns page.

Id be very surprised the return postage couldnt be less than £11 with RM. It can certainly be done for £4 odd with myhermes.

So 2/10.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Have returned paypal purchases in store several times, unless its a new policy maybe you just got unlucky with who you spoke to.

br
    Free Member

Can’t they get anything that is online at a store anyway?

mudshark
    Free Member

Paypal bad but credit card OK?

z1ppy

Not really seeing where the bad service was with this?
    Inconvenience maybe, but hardly bad service.

Esme
    Free Member

I’ve also experienced this problem with returning PayPal items. It’s really not obvious when you order. However the helpful manager at Trafford agreed to send the item back through their own delivery system. It took a week or two for the PayPal refund though, and I had to phone Customer Services to chase it. Luckily, I’d asked the manager to sign a receipt, proving that Evans had the item.

Really not a good system . . . you can do better than this, Evans.

Cougar

Distance Selling Regs. You’re not liable for postage unless they clearly disclose that you are before you buy them. Did they?

Cougar

I fell out with Evans after we bought our first mountain bike from them. We queried whether the bike was suitable given rider weight and the type of riding we’d be doing, got told we could “jump off the top of the door” and they’d be fine.

Forks broke inside of three weeks, from riding round gentle trails in the woods near home. The mechanic said he’d had to “bodge” them and they’d break permanently if we carried on riding in the manner we were.

I wrote to Evans, the store manager ostensibly called me a liar and offered me a nominal discount on some new forks. I’ve not been back since (and have bought three more bikes since then).

ajt123
    Free Member

Depends entirely on which shop. The saffa blokes at the Wandsworth branch are routinely excellent, I’ve alwe thought the Kingston one they didn’t care.

I have delivery from them and was A ok. That being said jejames and crc are probably the slickest.

Basically you got unlucky.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Read the (not so) small print in the returns advice.
    I did the same thing last week. My fault; no-one else’s.
    With Evans,always pay by card. That way you can return themto the store for an instant refund.
    On the bright side, they do refund your money the day they recieve the returns. It doesn’t take nigh on a week like CRC does.

dambrit
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies folks my frustration is starting to diminish…Inconsistencies across the stores with returning items unfortunately.

jonba
    Free Member

Best thing with evans if you live near a store is the instant return (assuming you use a credit card).

I wanted a softshell. Ordered 4 online to be delivered to store. Went in, tried them all on. Picked one, left the other three behind and got an instant refund. No faff, guaranteed to have what you want in stock. Might be a pain for them logistics wise but I will be doing it again with clothing. Much better than picking it up from a depot after the postman didn’t find you in the hours at 11am then trying to get to a post office and paying £10 to return things.

Deliver to store is my new favourite thing. Most shops have more convenient hours than the post office anyway.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Distance Selling Regs. You’re not liable for postage unless they clearly disclose that you are before you buy them. Did they?

DSR doesn’t give you free postage.

HTTP404
    Free Member

I guess an online purchase with paypal would have to go back to their returns department for refund processing. I don’t know of any electronic point of sales systems that could do a refund to paypal.
    Its the price of trading as both web and high street retailer.
    I’m sure technology will one day catch up.

I was in Evans only yesterday and had a brill time.

However, its not bad customer services really is it?

ricky1
    Free Member

We spend £1000’s on our bikes without even blinking but complain about a mere £11…….

ekul
    Free Member

I cracked my norco back in summer and so took it to the Trafford store that I’d got it from (30mls away) to speak about a warranty replacement. Staff in the shop were really friendly and told me it was likely to take a few weeks which I was fine with as I was injured anyway. They said they’d keep me updated. After I’d heard nothing for 3 weeks I rang them up to see where it was up to. Unfortunately, the guy who deals with warranty repairs wasn’t in but they’d get him to give me a ring. A week later I’d still not heard anything so rang again and managed to speak to the guy dealing with it. He said due to an import problem it was taking a while to get through customs but he’d let me know as soon as it was in. Again, fine with that as it was out of their hands. However, another two weeks of me ringing for updates and being told he’ll ring me back passed (with no return calls). Eventually I got the email through to say my bike was built up and ready to collect. So that afternoon I went in to collect only to be told that as I’d buckled one of my wheels they were just going to true it so could I come back tomorrow? Well, no not really I’ve been waiting for 6 weeks for this, I’m not leaving without my new bike! To be fair they then pulled out all the stops to help me and I ended up walked out with a brand new 2013 Sight 1 with the xt wheelset, to replace my 2012 Sight 3. Happy as Larry!

The main issue for me was the lack of communication, every time they said they’d let the guy know to ring me back and they never did. Fantastic in the shop but a pain to deal with at distance. I think if I’d been fit and able to ride I’d have been a lot more pi$$ed off because it was 6 weeks of my summer riding wasted.

nealglover
    Free Member

I guess an online purchase with paypal would have to go back to their returns department for refund processing.
    I don’t know of any electronic point of sales systems that could do a refund to paypal.

I returned a pair of boots to the Clark’s shop in Leeds on Thursday.

They were ordered online and paid for using PayPal.

Instant refund no problem at all.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Whinger.

gogg
    Free Member

Yes, they do in their returns policy “Return shipping costs are non-refundable. If the item is being returned due to our error then any postage will be reimbursed.”

However the store appears not to comply with their own policy in the terms given on the page I linked to above “Returns can be made at any Evans Cycles store (not just the one you purchased at), including purchases made online. Or you can return your purchase by post.

Refunds will be processed using the same method of payment used for the original purchase. Credit & debit card refunds must be made to the card used for the original purchase, Cheque payments will be refunded in cash but due to banking restrictions can only be refunded at least 14 days after the original purchase date. Due to the high incidence of fraud we regret that we are unable to offer any refund without a valid receipt.”

Seems like the OP has a genuine gripe and had to deal with a “lazy” manager…

Cougar

It absolutely does, unless the store’s T&Cs state otherwise (which they’re at liberty to do). If they do that though, they have to make that information available before you make the purchase. Which from the link above, they have done.

Under DSR, you can formally reject the goods within 14 days. As the OP bought them “two weeks ago” it’s not clear whether this is within timescale. Did they take a week to deliver, or did it take you two weeks to get around to trying them on? If the former, you need to explicitly reject the goods under DSR; if the latter, you’re knackered and reliant on the store being nice.

Thinking about it, you may have grounds for returning them “not as described” under SoGA, if you take a size X and they’re supposed to be a size X and don’t fit then they’re clearly not as described.

But yeah, sounds to me like you got a store manager who didn’t know what he was doing (or did and didn’t care).

cynic-al
    Free Member

gogg – you forgot to paste:

PayPal orders
    Purchases paid for using PayPal must be returned using the online returns form process above.
    We are unable to process PayPal refunds in store (with the exception of Click & Collect orders).
    Items paid for in EUR, USD, AUD or JPY will be refunded in that currency. Other orders will be refunded in GBP.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    It absolutely does,

OK, my position is that DSR allows you to return a purchase if you simply change your mind, but the return postage is YOUR cost (and hence not free) – you disagree with that?

Cougar

Yes. Your position is incorrect (unless, as I said, the individual stores T&Cs state otherwise and are clearly available before the sale). If the store makes no mention of return postage, then the store is liable for it, absolutely. Even if you just change your mind.

gogg
    Free Member

Good point well made. They have made the whole buying process difficult though, by having that as a sub-paragraph below their sweeping statement that “At Evans Cycles our priority is to ensure that you are highly satisfied with your purchase. In the unlikely event that you are not, please feel free to return your goods within 90 days of the purchase date for a full exchange or refund.

Any item including bikes (but with the exception of food, videos, DVD’s, face masks, RideIt! events and software) can be returned to us for any reason provided it has not been used or fitted and is returned in its original packaging and with a valid proof of purchase.

Returns can be made at any Evans Cycles store (not just the one you purchased at), including purchases made online. Or you can return your purchase by post.

Refunds will be processed using the same method of payment used for the original purchase. Credit & debit card refunds must be made to the card used for the original purchase, Cheque payments will be refunded in cash but due to banking restrictions can only be refunded at least 14 days after the original purchase date. Due to the high incidence of fraud we regret that we are unable to offer any refund without a valid receipt.”

As the old saying goes always read the small print. I wish I had, I* would look less stupid and I’m sure the OP wishes he had. That first paragraph would certainly lead me to believe that I could return a paypal item. It’s a simple fix though, all it needs is an asterisk after “purchases made online” and a then *excludes paypal” at the end of that section, to make it less confusing.

Evans can have that on me…
    😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting! Got a link?

EDIT found one. Wow, that beggars belief.

Goodbye High Street!

Cougar

Hang on.

Cougar

Here.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations

The original cost of the outbound postage to you should always be refunded by the seller.

The seller’s terms and conditions or returns policy should state who pays the cost of returning the item.

If they don’t state this, then the seller has to cover the cost.

In this case, you’re entitled to a refund of the total amount you paid, including costs to ship the item to you, and the fee to return the item. No admin or restocking fees should be charged.

hora
    Free Member

Lesson dont use evil paypal.

gogg
    Free Member

Wow, that beggars belief.

Goodbye High Street!

But most retailers have it in their terms that returns are at the buyers expense. So you can pay the Post Office, rather than paying for parking when you wave goodbye to the high street…

gogg
    Free Member

Lesson dont use evil paypal.

It’s certainly not worth using Paypal for more expensive items as all of your credit/debit card payment benefits disappear.

Cougar

It’s in the shop’s best interest anyway. If you went into Next and wanted to try a on shirt and they said “sure, that’ll be ten quid which we’ll refund if you buy it,” you’d walk out in disgust. So why would you take the risk of ordering something online, it not fitting, and then being out of pocket in sending it back? You’d just buy from somewhere else.

Cougar

most retailers have it in their terms that returns are at the buyers expense.

I don’t know about “most”, my OH buys clothes online regular away that turn out not to fit or don’t look as good on as they did on the website; we’ve sent loads back and I’m struggling to think of any offhand that don’t come with a Freepost returns label. Maybe it depends on the industry?

jonjones262
    Free Member

It says about the PayPal thing at the bottom of the Invoice you get with your order

gogg
    Free Member

It says about the PayPal thing at the bottom of the Invoice you get with your order

So after you’ve paid….

Excellent.

gogg
    Free Member

It’s in the shop’s best interest anyway. If you went into Next and wanted to try a on shirt and they said “sure, that’ll be ten quid which we’ll refund if you buy it,” you’d walk out in disgust.

Hence the new verb “showrooming”.

As to the shops best interest, it depends on their margins I guess, your other half buying fashion clothing from online retailers Next for example have huge margins hence their recent special dividend. They are awash with cash.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/shares/10548633/Next-shareholders-cheer-plans-for-regular-special-dividends.html

crikey
    Free Member

Grown up buys wrong size shoes, gets a bit cross…

gogg
    Free Member

lol

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Evans Cycles bad customer services’ is closed to new replies.