Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Evans and stripped threads
  • jmason
    Free Member

Ordered a bike in to Evans, with the intention of picking up tomorrow, £50 deposit and that. Phoned today to see if it was in yet and was told that the crank threads had been stripped(assuming pedal threads), there is no more in the company and that i would now need to wait until monday to see what the store manager says.

Surely in a bike shop they have a spare crank they can fit ? am i wrong in thinking they could do something more for a customer that is potentially spending over £1000

Coyote
    Free Member

Sounds reasonable to me. Inconvenient, pain in the arse but reasonable.

Of course, if they cannot fulfill just get your money back and walk away!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, agreed. And yes, this is me defending Evans.

If someone stuffed it up and mashed the pedal threads on a £1k bike, the chances of them having another spare crank arm just hanging around waiting to be used are minimal.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

they stripped the crank threads?

WALK AWAY

QUICKLY

mjsmke

Everyone makes mistakes. Give them a chance to put things write. Then you still have the choice of buying the bike or getting your deposit back.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Everyone makes mistakes. Give them a chance to put things write.

😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seriously, stripping a crank thread…WTF?

You’d have to try very very hard IMO.

shindiggy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t trust them to build me a bike,

Northwind

cynic-al – Member

Seriously, stripping a crank thread…WTF?

You’d have to try very very hard IMO.

Very easy to misthread a pedal if you’re not paying attention. Not literally stripped, but damaged enough that you shouldn’t give it to a customer.

mudshark
    Free Member

Chap at Evans cut down a carbon fork steerer for me the other week. Put it back together, tightened the stem cap bolt but left the stem steerer bolts loose, luckily I always check the torque on bolts fitted by others(!) so noticed before I tried to ride it – how many others would? Could have been nasty.

akira

I’m sure all the cytech qualified mechanics here have never made a mistake…..;-)
    See what happens on Monday but not much they can do till then as no deliveries at weekend so even if they order something in it wouldnt arrive till at least Monday.
    And yes blah all of us who work for Evans are rubbish and know nothing, riding for twenty five years and working in shops for six years means I have no idea what I’m talking about.
    Slightly tongue in cheek but grumpy after busy hot day.

Coyote
    Free Member

😉 Acknowledges CFH observation.

nealglover
    Free Member

I agree with Akira.

(and, just for fun guess his age as 29 ?)

That’s not to diminish his point, as I agree with him, it’s just that the last bit of his post read like a Maths riddle 😉

akira

To clarify I meant riding mountain bikes for twenty five years, been riding bikes a little longer. Actually had good day at work just very busy, chatted to nice couple who do the Passports on skis, told them it was a waste not to do it on two wheels.

nealglover
    Free Member

Done it on skis a few times, awesome.
    Not on wheels yet though, will do some time.

gee
    Free Member

Very, very occasionally cranks come out of the box with dead threads. I’ve even seen one that was just a hole, no threads at all. They probably don’t have a spare if it’s an OEM chainset and don’t want/can’t rob another bike.

GB

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

the chances of them having another crank arm sat on a new unsold bike which could/should be used to put a “sold” bike right are pretty high

FTFY.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

that said its their cock-up so won’t be a warranty case.

One way or another they’re going to have to replace the buggared crank arm.

seriously though, if they can’t thread a pedal in straight then walk away.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am sure they will fix it but I would be worried if they cannot put a pedal on tbh…do they get the staff not good enough for halfords 😉

br
    Free Member

You’re all assuming they did it, when the cranks could’ve come like that.

Either way, Monday is only tomorrow.

orangeboy
    Free Member

It may not be pedal threads that have failed. What crank is on the bike ?

Stuff does arrive faulty from new and may it be there error
    It’s better they told you rather than try and make it work and give you your bike

Joe

Cynic-Al – sometimes you’re a bone head.

It might have come like that. The threads might have been poorly cut.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

what bike brands do you guys work with where stuff arrives faulty?

bland

Its the same with any big chain, bigger they get teh less control over things like this they have. The will have 50 bikes with a suitable chainset on which could be directly swapped or upgraded to get you the bike but they wont be able to take anything off a bike to do it (as staff will have done this before and not replaced it or followed up the warrenty claim).

If they are so proficient at managing this then just wait till you crack your frame and need a warranty replacement!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My aunt bougbt a hybrid from the Reading branch. Said how fantastic they were and helpful with everything…………until I pointed that the front brake caliper was actually ready to fall off the forks !!! Only done 5 miles, so that PDI was obviously very thorough. Also a mate who bought a pair of spd’s ( new to cycling) from them. They offered to fit them for free . They used a big adjustable spanner and it graunched up the face of the crank when they tightened it…….Doesnt inspire confidence. Both punters havent been back since……..

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Evans and stripped threads’ is closed to new replies.