Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • evans above !!!
  • zaskarrider
    Free Member

well… i went into our local evans yesterday for a look at rear lights..
    one of the staff came up to me. can i help you.
    I said yes.. im looking for a waterproof rear light,what have you got ?
    the member of staff said NOTHING you are asking a lot there, you are asking for something electrical to spray water at !! i said i didnt think i was as they come with a fitting to attatch the light to the seatpost which is in the line of fire from the spray off the back wheel.. he snapped well they come with other fitting too and i dont want to argue with you !! i added the i didnt have an exposure toro but if the rear light was waterproof i would buy one to run the rear light off it.I left with my money in my pocket and no rear light.
    He was so unhelpful and rude… i will never walk into another evans cycle store again.
    so now to my local bike shop to see what i can get as ive gone through four soaked rear cateyes in the last two weeks.
    stick with your small helpfull local bike shop…

bruneep

Electrical tape wrapped twice over the join seam works for me.

Stoner
    Free Member

ive gone through four soaked rear cateyes

ur doin it wrong.

ojom
    Free Member

Fit mudguards to help prevent this if you haven’t already. Cheaper than buying new lamps.
    Second what bruneep says. Tape works wonders and you can buy whatever light you like then.

elaineanne
    Free Member

lol) thats customer service from you… he must have had a ‘ticking off’ from the boss just b4 you walked into Evans and im afraid you were in the firing line.. (lol) how rude of him ! write a complaint letter…

DezB
    Free Member

Good ol’ Evans eh.
    I’ve been riding in the rain with a Smart 1W and a Blackburn Mars for a couple of years now and they’re still fine. (But I guess that wasn’t the point you were trying to make)

scaredypants

bit of bath sealant round the joints works well – needs a decently sealed switch

ton

crudguards were designed to keep seatpost mounted rear lights dry……………….. 😉

maxray
    Free Member

never done anyhting to my cateye and its been fine, stuck a gekko on my new bike.. will see how waterproof it is.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Wot Ton said!

It’s very easy to slag a shop off, Evans, Halfords, CRC etc. I’m sure if you looked, there’s be someone complaining about every shop in the land. Evans bashing is almost a pro sport on here but there’s plenty of us that have never had any sort of problem with them.

Maybe you came over as a bit of a know-it-all and the sales assistant had had a few people the same on the trot? It cuts both ways……

big_n_daft
    Free Member

freezer bag and a elastic band, problem solved

shop assistant probably thought that you would be returning rear lights due to water ingress for the next year and bad mouthing evans for selling you rubbish 😉

crazy-legs

Sadly, I think I know what might have been the issue here.

You walk into a shop and ask for a waterproof rear light. Chap sells you a light which he says is waterproof. You ride through a storm, light gets soaked and dies, you go back demanding your rights etc cos you were told the light was waterproof.

Technically, the guy is probably right, the light won’t be 100% waterproof 100% of the time.

You may think I’m joking but I had a customer once who insisted that he’d been told that the lock he’d bought with his new bike was “unbreakable” so he kicked up a massive storm in the shop when his brand new bike got nicked after thieves cut through his “unbreakable”. In the end we sorted him out a new bike at trade but he still tried to take the matter much higher (as in, to the courts). The point is that if you really press a salesperson on how “waterproof” or “strong” something is, they won’t ever tell you it’s 100% waterproof. That doesn’t excuse the attitude obviously, but I can kind of see where he was coming from.

DezB
    Free Member

zaskarrider hasn’t been back, but I think his point was the attitude of the sales person, rather than “Can you get waterproof lights?”.

Buy hey, this is STW, why stick to the point!?!

zaskarrider
    Free Member

your spot on dezb.. i went into the store for info,i didnt need someone being short with me, i could of been a good customer if he had taken the time to show me the exposure range,or if he knew something about the products in the store.. i know not everyone in the store could know about every item in there but he could of got someone else to talk to me.
    He just went off on one when i said all the lights i had bought came with a seatpost bracket which when fitted put the light in line for a soaking and yes maybe he could of mentioned mudguards but he just didnt and it was like he couldnt be bothered.. but i have five bikes road and off road and no guards on any but i just thought that in 2011 and with some of the prices for lights as high as they are that at least one company would make a set that was good for outside in the wet… after all we are not talking of any water pressure just a bit of a splashing :lol:. and why buy something for use outdoors and have to take a chance with some tape to keep it working?
    and i have found in the past some of the younger members of staff in evans helpfull and keen after all it was only last week i bought a new helmet in the same store… but thats done it for me now.. no more

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘evans above !!!’ is closed to new replies.