Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Eurotunnel – anyone got any cunning plans?
  • Brycey
    Free Member

Evening all

Just about to book a couple of cars on to the tunnel for the Mega, does anyone have any cunning plans for getting s discount?

Ta

uplink
    Free Member

Book a 1am crossing and then turn up way early 4-5pm

They may charge you extra but usually they’ll just put you on the next available

Brycey
    Free Member

Cheers. Our travel time means I’m already looking at the cheapest fare (£120) anyway, just wondering if there are any deals lingering anywhere.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mtbmatt
    Free Member

Quidco. 4% cashback.

spooky_b329

I think you can do the ‘triple your tesco clubcard vouchers’ trick to get cheap tickets. Or is it for the cross channel ferries, can’t remember but worth looking into if you have any vouchers.

BeardedDave
    Free Member

As above, you can use Tesco Clubcard points – although I think it may be double points now, rather than triple. My missus is Dutch but hates flying and ferry crossings, so we use the Tunnel a fair bit to visit her family and always trade in our clubcard points to do it. Saved several hundred pounds over the last few years.

bruneep

Club card vouchers we went for £40 in vouchers

Brycey
    Free Member

Cool, will have a look at that. Thanks.

igm

If you can use the ferry it’s a fair bit cheaper.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Day returns are usually dead cheap, and booking them, but only using one leg usually is loads cheaper. However, they can sting you for full price for not using both tickets

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just about to book a couple of cars on to the tunnel for the Mega, does anyone have any cunning plans for getting s discount?

uplink – Member
    Book a 1am crossing and then turn up way early 4-5pm
    They may charge you extra but usually they’ll just put you on the next available

Did you miss the whole point of the post, uplink? Or do they charge significantly less for the 1am crossings and the charge is less than the difference? 😆 😀

My advice would be not to use the tunnel, it’s overpriced and a bit pointless when there’s boats going and charging less!

Brycey
    Free Member

To me the tunnel is worth the premium for speed, convenience, and lack of plebs; especially as it’s a fairly un-leisurely itinerary we’re planning. Just wondered if there was anything obvious I could do to shave something off it.

igm

We’re going on the overnight ferry from Hull and back via Calais. Bit more than the tunnel to be honest but we save the money back on driving and travelling while asleep.

uplink
    Free Member

Did you miss the whole point of the post, uplink? Or do they charge significantly less for the 1am crossings and the charge is less than the difference

Did I miss the point? – not at all
    Last time I went over it was £60 for the 1am crossing & £90 for the 3pm, I booked the 1am and turned up 11 hours early at 2pm and was on a train before 3pm without extra charge
    That was my plan to get a 33% discount and it worked

My advice would be not to use the tunnel, it’s overpriced and a bit pointless when there’s boats going and charging less!

I’d take the tunnel every time unless I was skint, in time saved alone it’s worth it for me.
    There’s offers around sometimes too, I’ve had a return trip for £19 in the past
    Drive off the motorway and straight on to it and then it kicks you out on the motorway at the other end

Brycey
    Free Member

The missus wouldn’t relinquish her Tesco points! Don’t know what her beef is, me buggering off to the Alps for a week leaving her holding the baby!!!

Two cars booked for £240 total, can live with that.

Thanks for advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Eurotunnel – anyone got any cunning plans?’ is closed to new replies.