Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • European Holiday Destination Advice – Lakes and Mountains Required
  • jlc
    Free Member

Last few years we have really enjoyed holidays camping by Lakes and Mountains. We have been to Annecy, Lake Bohinj (Slovenia) and St Wolfgang (Austria). Looking for somewhere we we can hopefully drive to from Calais which has good road/mountain biking, great scenery, suitable campsites and lake swimming.

iDave
    Free Member

Norway?

NZCol

tick for me, we fly into GVA and have a vechicle and bikes for 6 weeks. Love walking/mountain running and biking, any suggestions please post here. Camping/refuge whatever accom.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

We've just had two weeks at Lake Como, i would thoroughly recommend it, lots of mountains and there is supposed to be a track about 800-900mtrs up that runs the full length of the west side of the lake. There are refuges up in the mountains that you can stay at and campsites at the north end. Switzerland is only an hour away max with some beautiful roads to ride with breathtaking climbs 😀 If you want anymore info let me know, we are defo going again.

ivantate
    Free Member

My favourite is the north end of Garda. Riva and Torbole. Big support up there for any outdoor activties and good food+nice lake when you get back in the evening.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Riva del Garda, you do not need to go elsewhere

konabunny
    Free Member

Tatra Mountains (Poland/Slovakia)? Little bit of a haul from Calais but both nice and cheap iirc.

Stop off in Krakow and/or Vienna on the way back.

Flaperon

Another vote for Lake Garda here.

ianv
    Free Member

Lac Matamale, Pyranees Orientale: Lake, Bike park, Stunning Scenery, nice weather etc 10 hours from Calais

molgrips
    Free Member

+1 for Norway. It's amazing, and different to typical Alpine European stuff.

jammiedodger
    Free Member

Molgrips & idave where in Norway do you recommend? Is it more of a roadie or MTB destination? Is it expensive?

jlc
    Free Member

just wondered if there are anymore suggestions?

peteimpreza

Aix les Bains on Lac du Bourget just north of Chambery

leftyboy
    Free Member

Lake Bled/Lake Bohinj Slovenia gets my vote, fantastic scenery, people, food and proper mountains!

jlc
    Free Member

Cheers leftyboy, we went to Lake Bohinj a couple of years ago, loved it, even though it was like going back 20 years.

ryan_c

Scotland? and saves you having to change currency but there is still the language barrier!!

binners

lake marjorie. Right on the swiss border. Absolutely stunning. You will end up comnsumed with jealousy for the lucky bastards who live there. Remarkably un-touristy. Utterly beautiful. Some quality riding there too

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘European Holiday Destination Advice – Lakes and Mountains Required’ is closed to new replies.