Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • European Breakdown Cover (caution, dull content)
  • wombat

Anyone got any recommendations for breakdown cover for a trip to France?

Going to be there for about 10 days in August & the AA want to charge us £59…I get the feeling that there must be better deals out there so I’m turning to the ever reliable STW hive for advice…

And, yes, I know I’ve put it in the wrong forum but I will be taking a couple of bikes so I think I may be able to get away with it

milky1980
    Free Member

I broke down on the way to Chatel last summer. Got towed off the Autoroute and the AA covered the cost, sorted me a rental car (£400 of cover, extra day cost me £24) and liaised with the garage to get my car sorted. Worked out at over £500 all-in, well worth it for £56 of cover.

Been looking at cover for this year and a few companies don’t cover the Autoroute towage fee (E175 last year) and you can only be towed off by the garage contracted for that stretch of road. I only remembered to buy the cover last-minute, glad I did otherwise I would have been staring a £1000 bill in the face!! If I’d paid the extra premium for parts cover I’d have only been £24 out of pocket!

superfli
    Free Member

Adac. Had them for about 7 years now. Cover for western europe, ie uk aswell. They send aa out in uk. Cost 80euro/year.
    Uk gets screwed over, like they dont see us as part of europe

kayak23

We used Green Flag last year, but didn’t use them….if you see what I mean…

bland

If you are only going the once axa work out cheapHere

It’s about £30 for 10 days from memory

Mugboo

Having had a water pump bearing go just outside Teruel in Spain, the place even had goddamn vultures! I’d say proper breakdown cover is well worth that fee.

I had a damaged cambelt and needed this replacing along with the water pump to get home. My cheap ass cover would only get me to a garage which I had managed myself.

Imagine if the cambelt had gone and I’d been stuck in Spain with a knackered van full of camping stuff, high end bikes a 6 month pregnant wife and a dog… Suddenly the AA premium seems like a bargain!
    870 euros on the card and two days sleeping on an industrial estate in a van because the Spanish don’t quite have the attitude to dogs as their Northern neighbours 🙁

Lesson learned and thankyou to to the miserly t*#t/previous owner that changed the cambelt without changing the water pump!! Sorry, bomba d’agua!!

I’ll check out superfli’s advice too 🙂

takisawa2

We were with Direct Line (Green Flag) last time in France. I think they charged us an extra £25.

wombat

Thanks for the replies chaps

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘European Breakdown Cover (caution, dull content)’ is closed to new replies.