Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • European Breakdown Cover
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Got a week long holiday booked, driving from scotland down to the alps in July. Car works fine but its old, and I’m unsure what happens if it breaks on route

I’ll be getting european car cover, but interested in what it includes.

Will they provide a hire car for us to complete the journey? If so what kind of car? 3 of us are going with 5 bikes, so not much use if they give us a mini or something similar

If the car is towed to a garage and can’t be fixed – ie something like a head gasket blows, then what happens to it? Does it get returned home on a trailer, scrapped, or do I need to sort out the repair myself whilst in France?

Any advice most appereciated. The car will be getting a fulll inspection before we leave, but just want to be prepared.

thanks

maccruiskeen

Not the Brexit thread I was expecting 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whenever I’ve looked into it they seem to be “tow to the nearest garage”, anything after that is your problem. It’d be upto you whether you paid the garage or arranged a tow truck back from the alps (probably ~£1k if you aren’t fussy on dates so can wait for a truck going this/that way).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

I also looked into it, and again even the poshest and most expensive cover defaulted to ‘nearest garage’….

I got the car serviced at the Ford main dealer the week before we went – you get free European breakdown cover. The service was only £149, and would cost the same at my usual independent. 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

Last summer we got to test out Green Flag in Europe.

12 yr old VW T4, bad smell and down on power. Drove it to local garage in the village (where we were staying for a month)

Called Green Flag to say we didnt need recovery but a hire car was required. They organised a taxi to take Mrs S to the nearest town (1hr away) to collect a hire car and we had it for nearly two weeks while the T4 had a new head fitted.

We didnt need relaying, or recovery, but they were pretty good getting the hire car sorted in the middle of the alps.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

I’ve just been doing this today as I’m doing the drive from Edinburgh to the Alps in a 13 year old renault. You need to read the individual websites. It was close for me between eurorescue (autoaid) and vehicle-rescue. The information suggests that if they can’t fix it at the local garage within 8 hours they’ll either organise overnight accommodation or transport you to your fdestinations get a hire car(they pay £70 per day). Guess its up to you to negotiate the best solution for you -the pay more for a bigger hire car. You won’t actually be dealing with the company which insured you as they sub contract the assistance to axa or similar. Treat them as a translation service who have lots of contacts who will pay some or all of the costs. You’re insuring a pretty unlikely event which is even less likely to be major.

tpbiker
    Free Member

RAC quoted me 90 quid for the 6 days I’m away. For that I get a hire car, 500 quids worth of labour fix and my car taken home if required. Only issue is that I’m not covered as soon as I’m back in the uk, so fingers crossed I don’t break down in Dover.

sharkattack

Believe it or not I’ve used Asda. They seem to have a good level of coverage including recovery to your home address. Crucially I found some good reviews from people who had actually had to use it.

You can also pay monthly. So cover your trip then cancel it when you return. I’ve done it four times now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘European Breakdown Cover’ is closed to new replies.