Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • European Bike Holiday – where to ride for something different in 2012?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

We’re lucky to be able to take a 6 week trip this year, current plan is to get the ferry to Bilboa and do a mix of riding and climbing through Spain, France, Italy and Switzerland. there’s obviously 100s of places to ride, and we’ve done quite a few aleady, but from the list below can anyone suggest somewhere that would be a bit different:

This is where we’re planning on going (or have been before)

Spanish Pyrenees (BasqueMTB)
    Andorra (with Singletrack Safaris)
    Molina / Finale (with Riviera Bikes, but not seem much of Finale)
    Lake Garda
    Sauze D’Oulx
    Deux Alpes / Alps D’Huez
    Valloire
    Les Arcs (La Varda is a must do this year)
    Chamonix
    Verbier (but only briefly a few years ago)

Other areas we’re considering that it would be good to get some advice on:

Montgenevre
    Saas Fee (cos we’ll be climbing there and the lifts are free, not sure if there is much riding though)
    Zermatt (ditto above, other than lifts)
    Gap (heard good things about it)
    Aosta / Pila
    Bardonechia (but put off by a van mechanical incident there in 2010….)
    La Thule

Not fussed about Morzine, but might look to ride the Passportes route one day from Chamonix.

Looking for a mix of convenient bike park riding and backcountry stuff (but mainly without a guide). Peddling up is fine (my bike’s put on a few pounds for this trip but is still in the AM category).

Tips on good campsites also appreciated.

thanks

nasher
    Free Member

Hey Stu

I would recommend you stop off at Nava/Calizzano on your way to the alps…awesome, like finale but not cut up and no germans 😀

Souz D’oulx seriously dont bother…bardonechia also….very badly set up half done italian style…when we were there they would only open one of the 3 lifts on alternate days… may have changed now when I had a right go at the head of alpibike resort..

Pila nd La Thuile are a must if heading to Les Arcs… Me and Jo will be spending 3 weeks around there in August so hopefully catch up.

There are tons of stuff over the border in france but be prepared to pedal..

ianv
    Free Member

Pyranees

Andorra is excellent, would stay longer in that part of the world and take in La Molina, Ax les therme and Les Angles as well. There is also Cauterets, St Lery and Artoust that are meant to be good.

Alps
    Montgenevre is good if a little small. Around Gap/Enbrun you have: Chabanon good but small and weird opening times. Les Orres, small but not the best. Var (not been but the bike patrols at montgenevre said it was a bit crap). Orciere, excellent. Pra loup ok for a day. Val d’allos, meant to be good.

If you are going to be near Les Arc, keep going to Tignes.

6 weeks seems a lot but doing the pyranees and the alps will make everything a bit hectic. Personally I would do one or the other.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

If you pass through Andalucia give me a call http://www.allmountainventure.com/

Chainline
    Free Member

Provence, Maritime Alps – Trans Provence territory…just amazing..

tomaso
    Free Member

Belgium has some small hills :mrgreen:

The Jura region has plenty of riding and is on the way to the Alps.

momo

I’ve got nothing to add, just wanted to let you know that I am insanely jealous 😉

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks all – good ideas there.

Ade – that would be great. Jo and I will drive each other mad within 6 weeks without some company! Not sure if Pete and Rosie are heading out to Europe this summer, havent seen them for a while. Hehe – your comments on Souz are about right, but I did enjoy it last time we were out. There was a day’s riding there. Laughed at the picnics and general siesta type approach, lots of sunbathing and drinking going on under the lifts.

Yep, it’s going to be good. Got the bike ready for the trip and it’s riding really well with some upgrades. I need the same! If time is short, I might make it 8 weeks.

vondally
    Free Member

pyrenees…luchon brilliant natural riding
    prades for canigiou
    gap/martime alps…see trans provance

orange_c
    Free Member

Samoens in the Grand Massif in French Alps. Cracking campsite right by the bubble lift and free use of the next door swimming pool.

You can get route guides from tourist information to work these out and they are also signposted but spotting the signs can sometimes be hard.

Best half day ones we did were a road climb as if going over to Morzine (utter slog but worth it for the descent) and then single track descent from col, a ride along the river to Sixt fer a cheval, chairlift up. climb above teh valley and then great descent and back along river. Oh and for a massive day out, take the bubble lift and then chairlift and ride up and over to Flaine, take the cable car up and great descent down to Sixt. All doable without a guide – us three girlies managed!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘European Bike Holiday – where to ride for something different in 2012?’ is closed to new replies.