Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • European airports directly next to the trailhead (no transfer required!)
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

Don’t Nice and Lyon have good riding nearby too?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

MSJ to La Manga – one hour 20. Have a full cooked English then play in the hills.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Others have mentioned it but it’s hard to think of a better option than Innsbruck as there are big mountains directly north and south of the airport.

atlaz
    Free Member

You could fly to Luxembourg and XC around the Ardennes. I’m told there’s some passable “enduro” and DH riding but I couldn’t tell you where.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Surrey Hills is rideable from Gatwick 😉

Heathrow -> Virginia Water -> Ascot -> Swinley 😀

Want an airport in the mountains though, how about Courchevel…

[video]https://youtu.be/UGN3XA2Mxfs[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/6pK9uqF4y7c[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/dHeyVidumi0[/video]

jam-bo

maderia? nothing is that far from the airport…

ocrider

Is there anything in the Massif Central or the Pyrenees?

Nice idea that.
    From Clermont Ferrand airport to the top of the puy de dôme, it’s got to be less than 30km and no transfers needed!
    Otherwise you could fly into Perpignan and get the train (it’s a bit slow after Villefranche/ Vernet but really scenic) up to Font Romeu or Mont Louis.

nigew
    Free Member

As already mentioned, flying to Malaga is a good call, there is a train all the way down the coast with good riding nearby, inc the gondola at Benalmadena or there is a train to El Chorro via Malaga and there is some excellant riding around there! bit hot in July and August though
    or
    There are mountain bike trails and a ski lift on Vitosha Mountain in Sofia, Bulgaria, you can even take your bike on the bus from the airport!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

East Midlands airport? Within an hours train ride of the peaks. Not much organised man made trails but plenty of awesome riding.

Gary_M
    Free Member

So it sounds like Leeds/Bradford is the MTB destination of choice in Europe then

Either that or Paisley 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

kilo – Member

Cardiff airport to Afan?

It’s about an hour’s drive, BPW is about 10 mins closer by road.

But… on balance I think I’d prefer the Geneva / Morzine option, it’s not just a lack of imagination that draws so many people to Morzine / Les Gets.

Anyway for OP:

Geneva is an easy airport to get flights to, but Amsterdam is an easy airport to get flights from as a it’s a massive European hub.

Morzine is the only one of the major Alpine resorts I could find after a lot of trying that has a scheduled daily shuttle – there are other shuttles to other resorts, but you have to book them which gets very pricy going solo or small groups. They’re every 45 mins or so from Geneva to Morzine

Summer accommodation is easy and cheap to find.

You won’t spend much of your limited weekend time looking for trails, there’s loads, they’re most sing posted and well, there’s a lift network you don’t have to book months in advance, unlike the bus services in the UK.

alpin
    Free Member

Whereabouts are you in Holland?

Probably cheaper and easier to buy a car or better still an old camper and drop down to the Ardennes or to the German Eifel mountains. Don’t obviously have the grandeur nor the elevation of the alps, but still more than much of the uk has to offer and definitely more than Holland.

Seems like a massive faff otherwise.

Pack bike, 30 mins (even with an evoc bag you pretty much have dismantle the bike). Get to airport 30-45 minutes realistically. Hang around for 60 mins prior to boarding. 60-75 min flight to destination. Transfer, again realistically best part of an hour. Check in to hotel, 20 mins. Assemble bike, 30 mins. Find there is a bolt missing….

You are looking at, at best I reckon, 4-5 hours before you even get pedalling.

Amsterdam to the Eifel/Ardennes is roughly 3 hours.

Plus of you have the freedom of being more spontaneous and can explore more.
    A basic camper or van won’t set you back more than 2k (must be loads of campers…. more campers per head in holland than anywhere else). Reckon you would easily spend that on flight and accommodation within a few weekends.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Would it be better to live in the alps and commute to work?

onandon
    Free Member

If you go to Geneva you could ride from the airport to the Jura mountains. It’s about 20 mins from my house and it’s a three hour ride to the top ( somewhere like Mijoux ) and then fill ya boots for days of bliss.

chakaping
    Free Member

Would it be better to live in the alps and commute to work?

Either this or just make fewer, longer trips to do your riding.

There must be some kind of cycling that’s fun in Holland? TT-ing?

andytherocketeer

There must be some kind of cycling that’s fun in Holland?

It’s always a headwind. Doesn’t matter which way you go.
    There is also the World Cycling into a Gale Force Headwind Championships there, which is quite entertaining.

hammerite
    Free Member

How about flying in to Salzburg? Nothing directly in or around the city that I’m aware of, but Saalbach, Leogang, Wagrain and Schladming are only an hour away. There’s a fair amount of mountain between Salzburg and those places too so there must be plenty more riding in between.

Leogang and Schladming both have train stations too.

More local… http://www.mtbroutes.nl/

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions!

I’m determined to make this happen… just ordered an Evoc bike bag.

Saccades
    Free Member

Dublin, about 5km to the Wicklow mountains.

ampthill

Dissapointed thatno one has mentioned Luton and its access to the less good end of the Chilterns and vague proximity Chicksands and Woburn….

Keeping the trails quite for us in the know locals I expect…

sambob
    Free Member

Maritime Alps? 45 minutes/1 hour transfer to Sospel from Nice with Coolbus, who also do uplifts and guiding.

tomaso
    Free Member

As above Madeira Funchal is a short transfer to the top of the moutntains with Freeride Madeira.
    San Sebastian for Basque MTB
    Tenerife would work too.
    Sicily has some great riding and is lumpy enough.
    Marrakech is a short drive from the Atlas mountains.
    Verona for Lake Garda.
    Andorra has an airport but I think it’s to the south in Spain.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘European airports directly next to the trailhead (no transfer required!)’ is closed to new replies.